Moho internal temperature

If you connect a temperature probe to the moot will that not sort everything? My Votronic does so it’s likely the Victron will but do check. Also check the particular batteries as mine can charge down to zero just at less rate.

Hi all. Thanks for all your inputs I got this £6.98 eBay. Just what I wanted. Thanks. Brian
6997578F-1AF8-46BB-B128-D7020CDE6ECF.jpeg

I have made an aluminum plate folded to come slightly up the sides and ends of the battery. Alluminium tape securing foil backed polystyrene all round the battery and to the plate. The little illuminated box behind the battery is a thermostat powered by the battery controlling a rubber heat mat which is fitted directly under the battery on the alluminium plate. The thermostat kicks in when the temperature drops to 4 degrees and switches off when the temperature reaches 15 degrees. The temperature probe from the thermostat is directly under the battery inside the plate, so it’s not running for too long before reaching cut off temperature. The thermostats cost about £2.50 and the heating pad was £15 and uses 100watts while operating. It’s only operated a couple of times over the last couple of weeks and no real drain at all.
0147A45F-83A0-471B-89EF-287172723597.jpeg

As said a cheap weather station is exactly what you need, they even have max and min recall button that tels you the max and min temp over last 24 hour's just a couple of aa batterys

As said a cheap weather station is exactly what you need, they even have max and min recall button that tels you the max and min temp over last 24 hour's just a couple of aa batterys
The problem with a weather station as described is it will only give you the ambient temperature of the van as is or has been. The op was looking for a way to charge a Lifepo4 battery without damaging it through being too cold? My Lifepo4 will take a light charge at zero and discharge without any problem well below zero, so I’ve left the solar mppt charger to do it’s own thing because this time of year when temperatures are low, it will only produce a small current.

Some Lifepo4 batteries don’t like being charged if their internal temperature drops below 4 degrees. The ambient temperature of a van might be somewhat higher than the internal temperature of the battery depending where it is and if it doesn’t have a low temperature cut off (like mine) it could be permanently damaged by a b to b charger kicking in at 30 amps/hour or higher when you start the engine?

Mine like many has Bluetooth connectivity and will let me know what the internal temperature of the battery is, what charge is coming in or being taken out (plus a few other nifty things), but because it has no low temperature cut off, my little thermostat set up will ensure that the battery can’t come to any harm whenever I start the engine. I do of course check the temperature of the battery using the Bluetooth before starting up but the thermostatically controlled heat pad is a safeguard, simple to install and uses an insignificant amount of power. I’ve only noticed it kicking in twice since setting it up.

For me it was simply a case safeguarding the cost of the battery and hopefully get more than the guaranteed 2000 cycles (the Bluetooth registers rolling cycles👌)

I have a sencer outside under the van i would suspect that when it reads 0 C outside it would be very similar inside . The battery would be disconnected well before it got close to 0C , one of the attributes lithium is a very low discharge so could be left disconnected for many weeks ..

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back