Moho internal temperature

brian c

Hi all. I am trying to think of a cheap way of trying to find how cold the Moho gets when sitting parked up. ( Drive for instance ).
Thinking of po4 batteries. Not to charge when temp is 5 degrees or lower.
Ok I know at moment external temp is below freezing. But I want to know what is the coldest it gets inside van where batts will be. Anyone know of a thermometer or what that will do this. ( without being watched 24/7. Cheers brian

I’ve JUST THIS MINUTE returned to Boxy (My Motorhome, & the wireless External Temperature unit is actually in my Battery locker. So a fair indicator to what’s happening minus the Windchill of course
6D904B22-08EE-4714-97DB-7D9552E7218F.jpeg

Just checked my battery temps from the comfort of my front room. -2c according to the Victron smart battery sense which is attached to one of my leisure batteries.
Well worth the £30.00 I paid for it last year. Works alongside my Victron mppt smart controller to ensure the batteries are
Better charged.
I use the same set-up, very pleased with it (y)

in my T5, I didn't have any fancy monitoring stuff in it, but I did have a Min/Max thermometer with a probe so you could do current/min/max temps for two different positions. Used it to check room and fridge IIRC - around £3.99 from LIDL :)

Hi all. I am trying to think of a cheap way of trying to find how cold the Moho gets when sitting parked up. ( Drive for instance ).
Thinking of po4 batteries. Not to charge when temp is 5 degrees or lower.
Ok I know at moment external temp is below freezing. But I want to know what is the coldest it gets inside van where batts will be. Anyone know of a thermometer or what that will do this. ( without being watched 24/7. Cheers brian
I'll post this graph - not as a suggestion to how to monitor, but an idea of maybe what temp variations are?
Batteries are Lead Acid, and for this 24 hour period example never went above 2C - or below 0C - bearing in mind plugged into EHU and charger in a maintainance Storage mode. the Room temp went between -4C and -9C
1613158772050.png

I was thinking of something that I could put in Moho overnight and in the morning see what the lowest temperature was overnight without having to monitor it. Brian

I'm a bit old school, also fortunate, as the motorhome is just outside my front door, so I pop out and check it.
I also have an oil filled radiator that keeps it at about 3 degrees above outside temperature.
Obviously not everyone is in my situation and I can see why you would be concerned.
It will be interesting to see which solution you use.👍

I have a 1000w fan heater on a timer, on 15 mins every 2 hrs, keeps the van about 4/7c through the night and keeps any damp moist air at bay.

these min/max thermometers are very handy for checking the freezer compartments and fridge temps. Lots of fridges fluctuate a lot which can be quite dangerous if you have meat and dairy in there.

Getting a bit technical, my system is thus.
Plug into mains hook up.
One google plug that switches automatically through an app that takes the local area temperature and switches on at your preset temperature. I Have this set at 6 deg C.
Plugged into that a plug-in digital room thermostat that then controls the van inside temperature. I have this set at 6 deg C too.
Plugged into that a fan heater strategically placed for best effect with temperature set to medium with fan full blast.
All cupboard doors and bathroom door and seats left open.
The google plug also tells me if the plug is switched on and if the heater Is actually running by registering voltage amp hours which are actually being used.
On top of that I have a light in my lounge that turns on one colour if the local area drops below 5 deg C and another colour if the temperature drops below -2 deg C.
I also do a visual check occasionally just to make sure.
OTT maybe? Hopefully I won’t freeze up. 🥶🥶🥶😃😃😃
...and of course my battery is in my hab area.

Attachments

• C8AB138F-5C71-43DC-8BF8-833EAD757C01.jpeg
    C8AB138F-5C71-43DC-8BF8-833EAD757C01.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 2EF7991E-05A7-473F-ABDA-05AE2684D675.jpeg
    2EF7991E-05A7-473F-ABDA-05AE2684D675.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back