Michelin Camper Tyres

barge1914

We are taking delivery of a new van. It comes with 5 Michelin Camper Tyres 225, 75, 16” which are marked M+S for mud and snow, however this does not comply with the 3PMS certification required for certain alpine countries. New the camper tyres of this size cost around £165 each. Because of our winter wanderings I would prefer to change them for Michelin all-season CrossClimate Tyres. The dealer can’t or won’t supply with different tyres and I can’t afford to chuck them away.

So the question is does anybody want a set of Michelin Camper Tyres at reduced price, and want to make me a reasonable offer? They will have just delivery miles on them. If you are interested send me a PM.

Same size as my van,i got 4 new on steel rims of the bay for a good price as they were changing for alloys.

iveco rim.png

We are taking delivery of a new van. It comes with 5 Michelin Camper Tyres 225, 75, 16” which are marked M+S for mud and snow, however this does not comply with the 3PMS certification required for certain alpine countries. New the camper tyres of this size cost around £165 each. Because of our winter wanderings I would prefer to change them for Michelin all-season CrossClimate Tyres. The dealer can’t or won’t supply with different tyres and I can’t afford to chuck them away.

So the question is does anybody want a set of Michelin Camper Tyres at reduced price, and want to make me a reasonable offer? They will have just delivery miles on them. If you are interested send me a PM.
I use Michelin Agilis camper tyres which I think is what you have, when I checked on the Michelin site the Cross Climate tyres were not specified for motorhomes, would like to be proved wrong so may be worth a check. I was going to go for Cross Climate as I am not too far off a tyre change however I may be interested in yours if and when you do change them, need to check my size first though.
If you do go the Cross Climate direction Costco do them and occasionally have promotions on Michelins’.

Last edited:
I have Michelin crossclimate on mine and I absolutely love them, bought mine from Kwik-Fit through Quidco, it is always checking the deals on Kwik-Fit, they were cheaper than anywhere else

Read the full thread here

That’s a shame about your tyres, to be fair to the dealer I don’t see how they could agree to this. Possibly the converter may have been able to fit these tyres if requested, but even for them that would have been difficult as they come from Fiat with the Agilis tyres fitted.

Our new-to-us 1998 Autosleeper we picked up last weekend, the tyres are stamped 195/70R15C, which I assume means they are 15 inch tyres?

Can you change to 16" tyres? Can anybody tell me how easy is it and is it even worth doing? Do you need new rims?
I am a real dumbo here as know very little about wheels and tyres!!!

Sorry to hijack your thread, barge, but you set me off wondering about this as our camper will probably need some new tyres shortly... 🙂

Slightly off topic maybe but did I read that the 3 peaks tyres are for newer vans (is it 2016/2017 on) and older vans are okay with M&S or non 3 peak winter tyres?
Only mentioning as if I did actually read this it may make your tyres more attractive to someone with an older van.
Please check this out though

Our new-to-us 1998 Autosleeper we picked up last weekend, the tyres are stamped 195/70R15C, which I assume means they are 15 inch tyres?

Can you change to 16" tyres? Can anybody tell me how easy is it and is it even worth doing? Do you need new rims?
I am a real dumbo here as know very little about wheels and tyres!!!

Sorry to hijack your thread, barge, but you set me off wondering about this as our camper will probably need some new tyres shortly... 🙂

Here you go Marie. https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-put-16-rims-on-a-car-that-originally-has-15-rims

I don't really believe there is really such a thing as a special camper tyre (at inflated prices), sorry for the pun. I've never found any explanation of what makes them so special.

Learn to read what all the numbers mean, particularly the load rating. The C at the end means for commercial/cargo use i.e. running around fully laden at max. allowable speeds. Like a campervan. Check your handbook and you may find that you can upgrade the tyre width and load rating on the same wheels, that's what I did with mine after a couple of weighbridge tests showed the rears were close to the upper limit, my Ducato handbook showed two options on my 15" wheels, the originals were the lesser ones.

When I last changed mine I went for some M+S tyres which were a great improvement. Tigar cargo speed, owned by Michelin, made in Serbia, visually identical to the posh Michelin camper tyres, exactly the same ratings to the last detail, but less than half the price. I even suspect that the Michelin ones may come from the same place, just differently marked.

The original Pirellis were condemned at the first MOT, not for wear but serious sidewall cracking and some worrying bulges. Made in Turkey I subsequently discovered. The spare, never been used, under the van, never seen sunlight, is also in similarly bad condition, and at the next replacement will be scrapped and the best of the old ones put on instead.

When my GF needed real snow tyres and rims (her car has extreme ultra low profile super grippy tyres on very expensive special option extra large alloys that are useless in cold wet weather, nevermind snow and ice) we did our research and ordered a set of Nokians from mytyres pre-fitted on steel rims, completely different size, 15" not 18, but in accordance with what Seat specify. They were delivered from Germany (actually I suspect that mytyres is a German company) within two days, to her dealer, who puts them on for her in the Autumn and takes them off again in the spring. They look nice too, with a set of £20 hubcaps hiding them.

She scampers around on them with great confidence in some very extreme conditions where other people can't even move, and overall they cost nothing, apart from the rims (£30 each, and if one gets dented it can be beaten out or replaced rather than having to replace an alloy which would probably be £500, just one bad pothole can and has done that) Over their lifetime they will have saved wear on the Summer tyres, which also cost a lot more.

I don't want alloys on my camper, steel is just fine, for me.

I'm not suggesting that policy for a camper, I've been very happy with my Tigars on the camper, and they certainly work far better than the originals on e.g. wet muddy campsites.

A genuine winter tyre carries a snowflake marking. Mytires website will show you all their offerings in great detail, which have the snowflake, there are many other options than Michelin, and their prices are good. I've found UK tyre suppliers very unknowledgeable about these things, and if you leave it late in the season they can't even get hold of them, they are produced and stocked in advance of anticipated demand, which is minimal in the UK. Whereas in Germany they take them very seriously and magazines do extensive independent tests every year.

Last edited:
I think it's only Germany that has the 3PMSF rule. M+S are still legal for winter use in other countries, although tread depth rules apply.
M+S are still ok in Germany until Sept 2024, provided the tyre was manufactured before 1 Jan 2018.
Also many winter tyre rules are different either side of 3500KG, ie, Germany, 3PMSF on all wheels under 3500KG, 3PMSF only on drive wheels over 3500KG, changes this year though, got to keep up with new rules, they change so quick these days.

The Germans are very strict about tyres. I have a local outfit who supplies part-worns to e.g. Porsche owners here, from Germany. Apparently in Deutschland you may not swap your wheels around to even out the wear. You have to replace all four at the same, time unless you do it yourself I suppose and your neighbours don't tell on you. Which it seems they do like to.

But they do have Autobahns, some still unlimited, which really is a test for tyres, a big car culture, and still some shocking statistics. Get into some fog on an Autobahn and it can be utterly terrifying, a few just will not moderate and drive sensibly according to the conditions. Actually some roads there are really scary, just chugging along a dual carriageway Autobahn at say 60 mph, overtaking a truck, full mirror check,maybe putting my foot down to 70, then seconds later some eejit maybe doing 180 has appeared behind me doing a full on emergency panic brake. Hopefully.

I don't really believe there is really such a thing as a special camper tyre (at inflated prices), sorry for the pun. I've never found any explanation of what makes them so special.

Learn to read what all the numbers mean, particularly the load rating. The C at the end means for commercial/cargo use i.e. running around fully laden at max. allowable speeds. Like a campervan. Check your handbook and you may find that you can upgrade the tyre width and load rating on the same wheels, that's what I did with mine after a couple of weighbridge tests showed the rears were close to the upper limit, my Ducato handbook showed two options on my 15" wheels, the originals were the lesser ones.

When I last changed mine I went for some M+S tyres which were a great improvement. Tigar cargo speed, owned by Michelin, made in Serbia, visually identical to the posh Michelin camper tyres, exactly the same ratings to the last detail, but less than half the price. I even suspect that the Michelin ones may come from the same place, just differently marked.

The original Pirellis were condemned at the first MOT, not for wear but serious sidewall cracking and some worrying bulges. Made in Turkey I subsequently discovered. The spare, never been used, under the van, never seen sunlight, is also in similarly bad condition, and at the next replacement will be scrapped and the best of the old ones put on instead.

When my GF needed real snow tyres and rims (her car has extreme ultra low profile super grippy tyres on very expensive special option extra large alloys that are useless in cold wet weather, nevermind snow and ice) we did our research and ordered a set of Nokians from mytyres pre-fitted on steel rims, completely different size, 15" not 18, but in accordance with what Seat specify. They were delivered from Germany (actually I suspect that mytyres is a German company) within two days, to her dealer, who puts them on for her in the Autumn and takes them off again in the spring. They look nice too, with a set of £20 hubcaps hiding them.

She scampers around on them with great confidence in some very extreme conditions where other people can't even move, and overall they cost nothing, apart from the rims (£30 each, and if one gets dented it can be beaten out or replaced rather than having to replace an alloy which would probably be £500, just one bad pothole can and has done that) Over their lifetime they will have saved wear on the Summer tyres, which also cost a lot more.

I don't want alloys on my camper, steel is just fine, for me.

I'm not suggesting that policy for a camper, I've been very happy with my Tigars on the camper, and they certainly work far better than the originals on e.g. wet muddy campsites.

A genuine winter tyre carries a snowflake marking. Mytires website will show you all their offerings in great detail, which have the snowflake, there are many other options than Michelin, and their prices are good. I've found UK tyre suppliers very unknowledgeable about these things, and if you leave it late in the season they can't even get hold of them, they are produced and stocked in advance of anticipated demand, which is minimal in the UK. Whereas in Germany they take them very seriously and magazines do extensive independent tests every year.

Good tip re-Tigar tyres. I always look for good part worn's with still usable dates, you can save a LOT of money if you do the research but now I know about the Tigars it's hardly worth the time and effort. Cheers.

From the horses mouth - Michelin - they do not recommend Cross Climate tyres for motorhomes, if you fit them there may be an insurance issue should you be involved in an incident.

ATS can get them for you, they may not have them in stock, but next day. Actually it was the local ATS manager who recommended them to me after my woes about the MOT failure, basically of course yes we will put on the premium tyres, but maybe also consider these. Lots of our commercial fleet customers are now using them and they seem to be pretty good. Then he showed me both of them, as far as I could see they were identical. He didn't have to do that, but I am very glad he did, I would never have known otherwise.

I'm sure there are also other good brands, and things may have changed meanwhile, but I won't need another set for maybe a year, and I'll have a chat with the ATS man when the time comes, he looks after a lot of vans, actually that's his main business it seems.

From the horses mouth - Michelin - they do not recommend Cross Climate tyres for motorhomes, if you fit them there may be an insurance issue should you be involved in an incident.

I think not.

Read the base vehicle manufacturer's manual and study what their tyre specification is and stick to it. Maybe even ask your insurer why don't you ?

Put on incompatible ones, have an accident, then don't expect much sympathy.

Unless Michelin are saying that their Cross Climate are weak and that you must have a special, undefined and unexplained special "motorhome tyre" from them, nought else will do. Pure FUD.

There are good tyres, adequate tyres, and budget tyres for those who can't afford anything better. At every price point. All are supposed to be tested to the same standards, when new. How they actually perform in service might be quite variable.

I'm no expert, but my ATS man is, and as far as he is concerned there is no special mystery about premium campervan tyres, they are just the same as truck ones. Except that maybe, just maybe, they will tolerate long periods of disuse and low mileages before they deteriorate from disuse, not wear. Actually a tyre should be used regularly, the rubber is much happier with that.

Last edited:
That's a bit of a red herring, its about speed rating. As it happens my GFs winter tyres are the same rating as the exotic summer ones, but we would have been allowed to use much lower rated ones if necessary, the Seat can even be programmed by the owner to set a speed limit to match whatever is fitted for just this reason. Or if we had gone really radical and fitted studded ones, where the limiter could prevent ripping them to shreds, which we certainly don't need nor are allowed. But some really do. We did check with the insurers and they had no problems with what we did, it was all within manufacturers' specs. and recommendations.

I would say that fitting full-on winter tyres then using them all year round is really not a good idea. That's why we change them seasonally. Running them on e.g roads where the tarmac is beginning to melt is not what they are designed for, and I wouldn't expect them to last long or perform acceptably in those conditions.

But once the temperature drops below say 10 degrees, the roads are wet or flooded and muddy, winter tyres perform far far better, even just in the UK,, it doesn't have to be snow and ice conditions. Once you have experienced them you would never consider not bothering.

Intermediate tyres, supposed to cover all regimes, which I think Cross Climates are, are a compromise, but that's what I choose to use for the camper though mine don't have a snowflake symbol, just M+S, and they seem to hold up well in some very hot summer weather. And a bit of snow and ice. But I also have chains for if it got worse, and have had to use them, only once. I don't think a true winter tyre would have needed that.

But basically they are what holds you to the road, and it is amazing how well they do it, how long they last, and how much abuse they can tolerate. They are the most important parts of our vehicles, the brakes next, and should be the top priority in choosing wisely and maintaining impeccably. Everything else is secondary.

Last edited:
Would love to know exactly why the Cross Climates aren’t recommended for MH’s. When you consider they a recommended as an all season tyre for the same base vehicles, in any configuration from ambulance to courier van, from mini buses loaded with kids to trade persons vehicles loaded with tool, what makes a MH special? barring they don’t go far and are usually pampered.
No, I’m not buying “they run close to max GVW continuously” reason, so do ambulances, so do many trade vans, so do builders merchants delivery vans, etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back