Masham, North Yorkshire - Recreation Ground Parking

Maybe this will be the start of a new kind of Twinning :baby: :baby:

It is clear it was done with the aim of reducing the distress and disruption caused by visitors to the horse fair. It would seem then that the good folk of Wild Camping are just collateral damage, to a larger problem.

Given the opportunity, I am sure both communities will find mutually beneficial ground.

I see Clllr Graingers involvement with caravan sites an enhanced opportunity. On face value, as others have mentioned the stock answer is to use campsites. If we can demonstrate that psychologically we are not wired that way, Yet as a community we can provide incremental income to the area, have the opportunity to demonstrate our collective behaviour is honourable etc, It is possible we can drive a shift in attitude. Once we garner the empathy of someone within the caravan industry, opportunities abound.

It would be a great start if Cllr Grainger and the rest of Masham PC, gave us the platform to state our case, There is no reason this couldn't be a win/ win situation for all involved...That is always good business.

Channa

I know I keep bleating on about NZ but the UK need to look at the Freedom Camp model they adopted in response to the explosion of visitors, particularly following the release of LOTR. Specific areas are set aside for vehicles to camp overnight, sometimes 2 or 3 nights, quite often toilets are provided. The small towns get the benefit of the campers spending money in the shops, museums, cafe's and attractions, they are also invited to leave a donation in some places.
We came across some Freedom Camps managed by the local community, we even came across camps with fruit and vegetable gardens, with the produce available for a small fee - sometimes for free.
On the whole it worked extremely well, with very little evidence of abuse.

It really was a win win situation where everyone benefited.

I feel that we as a community could promote a scheme similar to the NZ Self Containment model and certification. We already have contact with DEFRA through our exempt status with Natural England. NZMCA : Self Containment

For the benefit of @MashamPC. Motorhome use differs from that of caravans. They are motor vehicles taxed and insured in their own right unlike trailers. People buy them for the freedom they offer in being able to set off at short notice. Most are totally self contained so do not need the services provided on caravan sites for each overnight stop. The motorhome users like the ability to change their minds regarding the destination even after they have set off. Caravan site have restrictions such as pre booking and minimum number of nights stay that do not fit in with this ethos.
Can I point you to the facilities that have been provided at Lytham St Annes, Glenshee Ski Centre and Canterbury as examples of low cost provision that can promote tourism spending. There are 6 full facility motorhome only stops now in Northern Ireland on the continental model. South Lakes are also waking up to the possibility of income from Motorhome Tourism. Moneymaking motorhome park being considered by South Lakeland District Council
Please don't be blinkered and consider alternatives, to turning income away.

I think it is about developing an open, mutually respectful positive dialogue, between our two communities.

It would seems the members of the Parish Council have acted in the wider community interest, to protect this beautiful place from an annual influx of those who, maybe do not share the high code of conduct we do in Wild Camping.

I have worked with my local Parish Council and I am sure Masham Parish Council works equally as hard in the interests of the local community, residents and business alike.

We have a strong record of building positive relationships with towns and villages, across the UK, I don't doubt for a second, given the opportunity, we will be able to have the same, mutually beneficial relationship with the community of Masham.

My apologies, it may only be one caravan site they own.

I believe it is listed under 2 names, The Ellingmoor, and the Old Station. I'm not sure where I got the third one from, but I can't find a reference to it today, so I may have misunderstood.

I believe it is listed under 2 names, The Ellingmoor, and the Old Station. I'm not sure where I got the third one from, but I can't find a reference to it today, so I may have misunderstood.

Still a conflict of interest in my opinion Rob, whether she has one site or 6000 sites. Having said that, I doubt I would camp on the recreation ground anyway, looks a sure fire winner to p1ss the locals off.

Still a conflict of interest in my opinion Rob, whether she has one site or 6000 sites. Having said that, I doubt I would camp on the recreation ground anyway, looks a sure fire winner to p1ss the locals off.

I agree Ral, but I thought I'd better put my statement right.

I wouldn't park on a recreation ground either, it does our cause no good whatsoever, but it would be good if they would post again to let us know where they stand on wildcamping in general.

Just to clarify the wild camping poi spot that was on here previous was for the tarmac car park in between the green and cricket pitch, the travellers parked en masse on the green ( see google maps street view) wild campers on the car park causing no bother to anyone there is a big difference, I understand the council,s thinking as there is no way of separating the two. Such a shame as Masham is a lovely place.

Isn't this were dialogue is good?

There are areas around the cricket pitch but also other areas within Masham. If not the village green then is there another area?

Is it not better to work with the Parish Council and together identify locations that are suitable to all concerned?

Isn't this were dialogue is good?

There are areas around the cricket pitch but also other areas within Masham. If not the village green then is there another area?

Is it not better to work with the Parish Council and together identify locations that are suitable to all concerned?

I agree in general, but in this case where the PC chair is involved in a campsite and has been very economical about revealing that fact, and has suggested that the barrier is a result of very occasional transgressors rather than the annual travellers as is in fact the case I think that progress is very unlikely. Good luck though.

We might like to open some form of dialogue first, it might be as you say but it might be better to open an dialogue and establish the current positions and then seek to identify and move towards a new, more mutually beneficial position.

IF an error has been made, amends can be made but we should not seek to use it as a stick. That, i personally feel would just create a state of intransigence.

Best, I think to begin by listening to the concerns of the Masham community, expressed by the Parish Council.

If we move the 'Barrier' to one side, for now, we might find we have many things of mutual benefit already and can spend productive time developing them.

They haven't been back online since they posted.

Does anybody know if the OP has been posted elsewhere?

It is one campsite. It demonstrates all the reasons it isn't appropriate for me and many other motorhome/campervan users, viz:

"Please note all Weekend booking May to September minimum 2 nights and Bank Holidays 3 nights stay as minimum." No option for just one night stays, I tend to move on daily when touring unless meeting up with friends.

The cost of a pitch includes 2 adults and there is no reduction for solo occupancy. Many are solo travellers. There is an extra charge of £1 per dog. If I have paid for 2 adults when there is only one of me, why should I pay extra for the dog?

EHU charge is included whether it is needed or not. Why should I pay for something I cannot use? (I don't carry EHU lead and equipment as it takes up too much room in a small campervan).

Finally, it is only open March to November. So no use whatsoever for 25% of the year!

They haven't been back online since they posted.

Does anybody know if the OP has been posted elsewhere?

If you look at the original Post Rob it shows 1 post for this new member from Masham, so nope. Thats it.

What a shame especially as the members have been so positive and welcoming and offering suggestions and dialogue.

Perhaps we should give them a bit longer but really if they are only going to post once and ignore four pages of replies it really would have been better to have said nothing. (For them and Masham)

I Fear the worst though having seen this before. I spend roughly £4-6k on my travels motorhoming every year. 99% of that goes into Mainland Europe. Thats just me, one van and two people. There are something like 18000 dedicated motorhome parking places in Mainland western Europe. A good chunk of them in countries like France, Italy and Germany. I doubt ill even bother trying to tour much in this country anymore.

If you look at the original Post Rob it shows 1 post for this new member from Masham, so nope. Thats it.

Sorry Barry, I meant does anybody know if they have posted their message on other forums?

I agree with the rest of what you say though.

Sorry Barry, I meant does anybody know if they have posted their message on other forums?

I agree with the rest of what you say though.

Ah I see. No, ive not seen it pop up anywhere else Rob. I assumed it was in response to them seeing the other thread about the POI going in Masham.

Unfortunately, there has been neither a reply to my Email, nor a revisit to this thread from Masham PC.

Either the council are taking it under consideration, or the Op was an edict, not up for discussion. I suppose time will tell.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back