Lorry GPS is a disaster,

GWAYGWAY

I have recently lashed out and bought a a big vehicle GPS and I really wish I had not bothered at all, my Tomtom used to take me down short cuts that were a bit dubious to say the least, but this thing I cannot get on with at all. It wants me on mtorways and dual carriageways with not having any real alternatives that are preferable. It is a Dezl Garmin and so different from my previous tomtom that I can completely cock up with it entering items. The options are, car , mid sized lorry and artic but there is little differences between them.
It is however a bigger screen though but that seems it’s only redeeming feature. The Tom tom is going back in now even though it doesn’t have traffic warnings. Any body want to buy it?????

I have recently lashed out and bought a a big vehicle GPS and I really wish I had not bothered at all, my Tomtom used to take me down short cuts that were a bit dubious to say the least, but this thing I cannot get on with at all. It wants me on mtorways and dual carriageways with not having any real alternatives that are preferable. It is a Dezl Garmin and so different from my previous tomtom that I can completely cock up with it entering items. The options are, car , mid sized lorry and artic but there is little differences between them.
It is however a bigger screen though but that seems it’s only redeeming feature. The Tom tom is going back in now even though it doesn’t have traffic warnings. Any body want to buy it?????
I’ll give you the price of a good paper map……or maybe not🤣😂

RWhen our Tom Tom packed up we bought a garmin abso hated it ,lying in a box unused Tom Tom camper luv it

Last edited:
8" Tablet with IGO Nextgen and it's got truck sizes. The biggest problem with inputting trucks is the way they go. We go downto the river when we visit Hull. I know the route and it's just over 2 miles. Roads are fine and not narrow. However with a truck entered it takes you to the main road and out along a dual carriageway some 5 miles to get to the same place. I have Here maps and Tom Tom maps on my tablet. I can switch between the two. The Here maps will take you down side roads and the Tom Tom maps would rather you stayed on the main roads. At the end of the day the units are all similar. Android or Windows CE operating system set to start when turned on. Host of features that never get used. New routes because of congestion that take you miles out of your way. The Lenovo FHD 8705 works brilliantly and can also be used to check the Freezer, Display a large digital speedo, check the Victron Solar Controller and be used as an EReader also easy to keep upto date and considerably cheaper than dedicated sat Nav.

Last edited:
Why dose anybody waste money on a sat nav nowadays. Google maps are free and better than any sat nav out there my vans a lump and I’ve travelled a fair bit just using the phone and Google maps.
I often use Google Maps on my phone when in the car, but I still prefer to use TomTom, esp. abroad where the much clearer speed reading is very handy.

OH DEAR 😳.

I have to say, I’ve got a ‘lorry Sat Sav’ & ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT 🥰.
Maybe have a look at the Filters or settings that you are using.
It IS true to say that mine always prioritises Motorways & A-Roads to get to the destination required, but when you do a ‘View Route’ you can alter any bit that you want, OR Mute it to go ‘Off Route’ if you fancy a change to the pre determined route altogether.

i use an iphone and Apple Maps,brilliant,no need to enter anything just tell. ‘Siri’ where you want to go and it has up to the minute traffic situations alerts, it also buzzes my Apple Watch to alert me of turns and walking is the same.

I had the same satnav, heap of crap at times, at other times it was inch perfect. :rolleyes:

Set it to 'shortest route' which may improve it somewhat. Also check a Road Atlas and write down the major roads you will use and stick the piece of paper in the sunvisor (as I had to do). :(

I think all satnavs only have 2 main settings 1) Fastest route and 2) Shortest route.

The fastest route is calculated by the rated speed limits where the shortest route is dictated by mapping, irrespective of speed limits. This will also going through more built up areas.

I have a Garmin sat nav and it has served me well for the last eight years, if there have been errors in navigation then more often than not it’s been my fault not selecting the correct parameters. The most important thing is that it can route you through large towns and cities which maybe completely unknown to you, my Garmin I have to say has done this successfully on many occasions. It’s far superior to the sat nav in my car for which you need a degree in astro physics to use it.

Clarissa the satnag and I are barely on talking terms. Yesterday, she manged to take us to a Mayday demo in Montlucon. Luckily, no gendarmes or communists were injured in this encounter.

Why dose anybody waste money on a sat nav nowadays. Google maps are free and better than any sat nav out there my vans a lump and I’ve travelled a fair bit just using the phone and Google maps.
Our new van had an option for a pack including sat nav with 10 inch display, the pack was nearly £2000, it included other things I did not want. The new van comes with a 7inch display and Apple CarPlay job done. I can use google Wully, but can I recommend Tom Tom go. For just £18 a year you get unlimited map downloads meaning you don’t need internet connection, and you can set grid references. It’s fully compatible with CarPlay. And it’s constantly being updated.

But is it not fit for purpose? Lorry would want quickest allowable route, probably motorways. May not be fit for a motorhome but it isn’t coded for that
I see you point but If you buy it to do job and it doesn't I would say it wasn't fit for the purpose you bought it for, a lot of them suggest motorhome use.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back