Lorry GPS is a disaster,

Yesterday I used Google Maps to find a company on a industrial estate half hour away, sat at home getting the route, and off I went, got me there no problems (I knew most of route just needed to know last mile or so). The last bit was through a one way system, so thought I'd better use the sat nav to get me back home, entered home post code, the route once I'd cleared one way system looked ok, so off I set, well Google Maps got it completely wrong! At first junction it said 'Turn right', that would have sent me the wrong way up a one way street, next junction it said 'Take left lane to turn right', that should have been 'centre lane to turn right', next junction it said 'take right lane to turn left', I think that should have been centre lane to turn left, I took left lane which was OK. I was then unsure of speed limit (urban dual carriageway) at which point I noticed it showed no limits and speed in kph, I then realised the data was switched off, as I've downloaded maps for area that shouldn't have made any differance, but it does as I've found out before.

I think all satnavs only have 2 main settings 1) Fastest route and 2) Shortest route.

The fastest route is calculated by the rated speed limits where the shortest route is dictated by mapping, irrespective of speed limits. This will also going through more built up areas.
Yes I think that’s’Kinda’ right, But on mine those routes are calculated taking the Length, Width, Hight, Weight, & If Towing a Trailer has been set in the Preferences.

You can also get avoid motorways and tolls, and ferries too, better ones (even my 2006 TomTom one) have avoid roadblock

You can also get avoid motorways and tolls, and ferries too, better ones (even my 2006 TomTom one) have avoid roadblock
On my Garmin you can also set custom avoidances which I had to use in France when we came across a bridge that had been closed for repairs, I just went into custom avoidances and put a pin at the start of bridge and a second pin the otherside of the bridge and it then recalculated and took me over the river using another bridge (y)

Regards,
Del

Sorry hit the wrong key after my reply :eek: maybe an admin can delete this one :unsure:

Regards,
Del

If I had to go through all that cr-p on a satnave before going out id just stay indoors, I just go and see what happens or find someting new along the way.
People often moan about satnags, but in general they make life a lot easier. I love maps, and always buy ones for anywhere we are going, but when you've got a 'co pilot' who has trouble finding the right page in a road atlas, a satnag is a godsend.

I just set mine up once before going away to avoid motorways (even though I still use them) and the shortest route, and then we both keep our eyes open for any reason not to follow it implicitly, we have found some wonderful places that way.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back