Lorry GPS is a disaster,

Not sure on Garmin but on ones I looked at the motorhome version was different to the lorry or car (or bike) version. Don’t know if they are actually different or if it is the preloaded POI that designate lorry or moho. If the retailer said it would work for Moho then yes if it doesn’t do what a camper one does.

I use TomTom originally on a stand alone say nav but more recently on my iPhone connected to various vehicle by car play.

It works equally well in the car, Motorhome, works van and also a 44tonne artic both in the UK and abroad, BUT you MUST allow alternative route suggestions and you MUST look at them and you MUST think before you select the route.

No point in selecting avoid tolls and motorways if your in an Artic going to Switzerland, and no point in selecting motorways if your on a moped.

Either way you’ll never get stuck in a narrow road, with a low bridge and a weight limit you can’t pass as long as you read the road signs.

I use TomTom originally on a stand alone say nav but more recently on my iPhone connected to various vehicle by car play.

It works equally well in the car, Motorhome, works van and also a 44tonne artic both in the UK and abroad, BUT you MUST allow alternative route suggestions and you MUST look at them and you MUST think before you select the route.

No point in selecting avoid tolls and motorways if your in an Artic going to Switzerland, and no point in selecting motorways if your on a moped.

Either way you’ll never get stuck in a narrow road, with a low bridge and a weight limit you can’t pass as long as you read the road signs.
Is that the Truck version?

I think all satnavs only have 2 main settings 1) Fastest route and 2) Shortest route.

The fastest route is calculated by the rated speed limits where the shortest route is dictated by mapping, irrespective of speed limits. This will also going through more built up areas.
The iGO software for Android gives you a choice of routes Fastest, Scenic, Shortest, Most Motorway, Least Motorway. CoPilot does similar but you can play around with route settings forever. You decide what types of road you want to drive and you select between Strongly Avoid and Strongly Favour with about 5 settings in between. At the end of the day you just want to get there in one piece. If you don't like the look of the road don't turn down it and let Dashboard Doris find another equally horrible route. Both of these have Truck settings and both were free software. CoPilot works very well and is far easier to update than iGO.

I see you point but If you buy it to do job and it doesn't I would say it wasn't fit for the purpose you bought it for, a lot of them suggest motorhome use.
When the Garmin Dezl variant was introduced it was pushed hard as being for Motorhome and Caravan use. nother feature was that you could buy a Garmin reversing camera (an expensive and poor quality item) that would connect wirelessly with the satnav screen for reversing manouvres. The reversing camera was poor quality and swiftly discontinued. The later model was not compatible with earlier model satnavs. That is basically why I would never buy another Garmin product.

I gave my Garmin away to a member on here, plus the reversing camera (which just stopped working) and now just use Organic Maps for navigation.

In lorry old 2000 tom tom. no roads up dates so google maps on 8in tablet maps downloaded so no internet / data connection required. 2022
Googles just cut my old google maps 2017 and new version / update on phone has mind of its own = $hit. But now has your speed option. 2023

Can you put vehicle weight in that then?
No idea, as a general rule I set the destination before leaving home, check the route options and then make sure the volumes down before setting off, I keep an eye on it for traffic warnings but only actually turn it up and pay attention as im nearing the destination.

As an example in the works van going to Adliswil I looked and saw it was south of Zurich, so knew I’d stop overnight at the Ibis Luxembourg airport, so pumped that in the satnav and ignored it all the way to the hotel.

Next day put the destination in and again turned it down and drove to Zurich took the A3 around Zurich and then turned the sat an up as I’d never been to Adliswil before, kept an eye on the road signs incase of any vehicle specific warnings etc and hey presto arrived at the job, made a note that if I went back in an artic there was a low bridge and a weight limit.

Before sat nav we used to use storks worked just as well MOST of the time.

Google maps will take you down inappropriate single track roads and tracks, it’s not different to any of these tools and can not be trusted.

You need to develop a sixth sense, have a rough idea where you are going and if the stupid tool decided to divert up a side road have the sense to think why and ignore it at times.

We tend to use Waze which is also owned by google but has far better info, the pot holes feature is brilliant

But again I never trust it fully .

The real downside with nearly all these tools is the inability to easily present a decent look ahead map view. Interacting with any form of touchscreen on the move is near impossible and bloody dangerous

One of the features I love about the bmw system was a simple knob to zoom the map out, it gets used a heck of a lot

You find a lot of knobs in a BMW , sorry just had to. 😂
Yes I am probably an exception, I obey speed limits religiously and I also know my arm will not explode if I use the indicator stalk.

But the most important differentiating factor is my car is not rep mobile black, grey or silver😉

Use Waze on phone and stand alone Tom Tom the most. Don't know why more people don't use Waze, by far the fastest to alert of traffic etc, sometimes even warns of roadkill on road or vehicle on hard shoulder etc, even if the map style is a bit mickey mouse. When touring will use tablet as well, with options of Tom Tom, Organic maps, Maps.Me, Via Michelin, IGO nav, OS maps, and Google and Apple maps, (may have forgotten one or two) usually have a paper type road map too. Then I just look for the "road not suitable for vehicles" signs.
If I had to dump one it would be the stand alone TomTom.
And yes, you can still get lost with 3 sat nav going. :ROFLMAO:

I replaced the factory head unit in my Boxer, it used basic Tom Tom and was useless. I now have a 10" android head unit and can use google maps, however I found a much better solution was Sygic Maps. One off purchase (less than £10) and you get 4 map updates a year - you can pay more and get monthly map updates. Covers the whole world, you just download the maps you want - no extra charge. The best bit is the routing - apart from the usual avoid toll roads, unpaved roads, ferries etc, there is also an avoid highways option. Used this many times in France and it is brilliant. It normally offers a few different route options. Also (as I can split screen on the head unit) ran Sygic side by side with google maps - same destination, and Sygic was far superior, more timely announcement's, better tracking and clearer turn indications. It doesn't need a live internet connection to run, but if it is available gives full traffic updates etc

I've had a garmin ever since I came back from the states with one over 30 years ago. Been using a Garmin, with newer models ever since. I was once given a TomTom and I could not get on with it. So I'm convinced that the best GPS is the one that you are used too. My original still works and I occasionally use it, (usefull feature: it has a detachable aerial)

I think when using any sat nav, they should not be followed religiously, remember you are ultimately responsible for what you do not the sat nav. I have used two sat navs a Tom Tom and a Garmin with setting for vehicle size. I live near a small tunnel large enough only for a car which goes under the Forth and a Clyde canal. When I put in a certain address in in Kirkintilloch near to where I live both would have taken me to the tunnel. I have had bad experiences with both, on one occasion I finished up not being able to squeeze past two houses in the Lake District. My wife had to guide me 200yards back onto the road.
Sat navs are wonderful things when used wisely, but I reckon every sat nav needs to be used carefully. I now always view a route carefully before travelling.
Warts and all, they are great driving aids, but that’s all they are, aids.

For years now i`ve been using Garmin after getting rid of the TomTom`s.

Firstly a Camper 760 and now a Camper 780 and overall they are very good, not perfect but very good is used wisely.

We use an x- gody with a 7 inch screen. It runs I-go maps.
You can put in various weights and sizes along with a variable number of routes.... all pot luck in my view.
It was £40 with european maps and worldwide maps can be put in.
I've used it in Europe, USA Canada Australia New Zealand.
Coordinates work great in it.
It has however found everywhere and every address I have put in it. You just need some sense on the routes it takes.

I've had a garmin ever since I came back from the states with one over 30 years ago. Been using a Garmin, with newer models ever since. I was once given a TomTom and I could not get on with it. So I'm convinced that the best GPS is the one that you are used too. My original still works and I occasionally use it, (usefull feature: it has a detachable aerial)
Had Garmin and TomTom I don't rate either, the units or the apps, I'm happy with Google, very up to date and with traffic too, I also used to use maps.me (recommended by you know who :D ) until quite recently but it has got really crap, so I switched to Organic maps which is the same except it has less crap attached to it, I have CoPilot installed but only use it now and then.

Like @Wooie1958 I've been using a Garmin Camper for years, it allows you to enter the weight, height and width and I've found that it's best to add a bit on because if you tell it your 2.5 metres wide it will at some stage take you down 2.6 metre road :unsure:

Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back