Looking for a dead quiet place to stop?

We never used to head out looking for somewhere to stop overnight. We would always head for one of our tried and tested spots then explore when we get there and if we find somewhere new it’s a bonus. I’ve never used the poi’s just O/S Landranger maps.

We never used to head out looking for somewhere to stop overnight. We would always head for one of our tried and tested spots then explore when we get there and if we find somewhere new it’s a bonus. I’ve never used the poi’s just O/S Landranger maps.
One of the best £20 or so subscriptions I've ever taken out was the online OS one ...

All the OS maps on your phone/tablet/computer in all the scales and bonuses like route planning and live viewing where you are etc etc ...

It's an absolute bargain for folks that like a map ;-)

One of the best £20 or so subscriptions I've ever taken out was the online OS one ...

All the OS maps on your phone/tablet/computer in all the scales and bonuses like route planning and live viewing where you are etc etc ...

It's an absolute bargain for folks that like a map ;-)
Which app do you mean and how is it of use to find a place to camp?

Which app do you mean and how is it of use to find a place to camp?
This app ....

And it helps us find dead end roads and quiet secluded places ...
Also gives you decent clues to the sort of road your travelling on and steep/hairpin bends are mostly noted ...
It's also useful for finding what's around you topographicaly too ...

Example ....

Find dead end road ending at the sea with little if ANY habitation around on OS map ...

Screenshot_20230122_101040_OS Maps.jpg

Crosscheck on Google earth ...

Screenshot_20230122_101400_Earth.jpg

Drive there and embrace the beautiful solitude of a unspoiled spot you've found with the added joy of it being like a little mini adventure ....
Rather than just heading where everyother bugger heads .

Screenshot_20230122_101124_Photobucket.jpg
Screenshot_20230122_101103_Photobucket.jpg
Screenshot_20230122_101141_Photobucket.jpg

Ha already have that one logged on maps.me.

I tend to use Google maps and earth for the same purpose, not sure OS would help or not.

1674383859406.jpeg

Last edited:
Ha already have that one logged on maps.me.

I tend to use Google maps and earth for the same purpose, not sure OS would help or not.
Depends a lot on whether you find maps interesting or not ...
I've always loved an OS map as there is so much fascinating info and detail on them ....
The route planning options are second to none IMHO ...
All in all ...its THE last subscription I'd cancel as its so useful to me .

This app ....

And it helps us find dead end roads and quiet secluded places ...
Also gives you decent clues to the sort of road your travelling on and steep/hairpin bends are mostly noted ...
It's also useful for finding what's around you topographicaly too ...

Example ....

Find dead end road ending at the sea with little if ANY habitation around on OS map ...

View attachment 117236

Crosscheck on Google earth ...

View attachment 117237

Drive there and embrace the beautiful solitude of a unspoiled spot you've found with the added joy of it being like a little mini adventure ....
Rather than just heading where everyother bugger heads .

View attachment 117238View attachment 117239View attachment 117240

Sounds good but Im struggling to see what it can do that I cant do on Google Maps on a laptop. Best thing Ive found in the past for finding hidden wild spots is the scooter!! More in Europe than here I suppose. I would find them when out and about and maybe explore down some hidden lanes then GPS them and go back with the van.

Sounds good but Im struggling to see what it can do that I cant do on Google Maps on a laptop. Best thing Ive found in the past for finding hidden wild spots is the scooter!! More in Europe than here I suppose. I would find them when out and about and maybe explore down some hidden lanes then GPS them and go back with the van.
Stop struggling ....

Don't buy it if you can't see the point simples .

I’ve always used paper maps as technology isn’t reliable enough for the mountains. Landranger maps show a lot more detail and basically interesting stuff than google maps or earth.

Google maps is the best nav app. OS does look like it has some useful bits but I'd like a free trial version before spending that much on a app.

Last edited:
Google maps is the best OS does look like it has some useful bits but I'd like a free trial version before spending that much on a app.
Google maps is free and easy. Not the best though :p

Google maps is like using a crap screwdriver from a £ shop. OS map is like using your fav quality screw driver. Both do the same job, one is just nicer. :ROFLMAO:

Saying that, I do use google maps a lot too. :ROFLMAO:

I got the first one of the pictures, OS maps.
I use google maps too, OS is far more detailed, has a lot of routes for walking and cycling. Just a better map all round. I haven't even used half the features so far from knowledgable as to all it offers.
Does it do vehicle navigation or have satellite images? a good map is useful for some of the fit, I can climb a mountain brigade but not so much for Liz and I.

Does it do vehicle navigation or have satellite images? a good map is useful for some of the fit, I can climb a mountain brigade but not so much for Liz and I.
Doesn't do car navigation as such ....but does have Google earth type views ...

Screenshot_20230122_115220_OS Maps.jpg

I'm sure there's a free trial version out there for anyone that's interested .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back