Looking for a dead quiet place to stop?

Personally not something I'd do ....

No problems with cemeteries/church yards (I love to wander around churches etc too )
BUT just don't think it's very considerate to folks visiting for other reasons ...
Let alone how it looks in general .

As for water taps ....
OK I suppose if permission is sought and granted and a donation offered

We have friends that live on the NC500 and i don`t blame them, it`s been horrendous.

So I gather but they don't want aires or facilities it seems. They just want everyone herded onto campsites and I don't think there are enough anyway. Unfortunately we are only as good as our lowest common denominator and there are some right idiots with motorhomes now. I do have sympathy but they wont listen to seasoned motorhomers. I would avoid the place like the plague anyway. Im not that keen on that part of Scotland anyway.

I offer it so individuals can follow their conscience.

Regarding using the tap to draw water, in my view access to drinking water is a basic human right. In some European countries a tap has to be provided in a town for use by the public.

Unfortunately in the UK there is quite literally nowhere to access water by right. A cemetery, or public toilet, are as close as you can get. For those on the road the choices are extremely limited.

I offer it so individuals can follow their conscience.

Regarding using the tap to draw water, in my view access to drinking water is a basic human right. In some European countries a tap has to be provided in a town for use by the public.

Unfortunately in the UK there is quite literally nowhere to access water by right. A cemetery, or public toilet, are as close as you can get. For those on the road the choices are extremely limited.
AND if its YOUR tap .....I'd defend your right to offer anyone you see fit a fill up .....

However I see someone helping thereself to someone elses services ,including water without permission as rude,ignorant,entitled and frankly little short of theft .

As a mildly humorous aside, here's the American etiquette for cemetery attendees (published by a funeral home in Illinois)

Things not to do in a cemetery
  • Don't walk on top of graves.
  • Don't sit or lean on headstones and other memorials.
  • Don't leave food on the headstones.
  • Don't make out.
  • Don't take photos without permission.
  • Don't blow horn in the cemetery.

As a mildly humorous aside, here's the American etiquette for cemetery attendees (published by a funeral home in Illinois)

Things not to do in a cemetery
  • Don't walk on top of graves.
  • Don't sit or lean on headstones and other memorials.
  • Don't leave food on the headstones.
  • Don't make out.
  • Don't take photos without permission.
  • Don't blow horn in the cemetery.
Four and six may be interconnected!

I would find it disrespectful to park up in a cemetery, buy our local one has a lay-by with trees in front and bins etc see no reason not to stay the night there as long as your gone early as it’s used by mourners in the day time.

No matter what your opinion on this, one thing that stands out from these posts is the consideration given by us.
When you consider what is published in some newspapers possibly they should take a look in here.
Personally speaking I am with Rob and mriceman, and others, it looks bad a big white van parked in a cemetery car park.

But that’s just how I feel, I am not criticising anyone.

I would find it disrespectful to park up in a cemetery, buy our local one has a lay-by with trees in front and bins etc see no reason not to stay the night there as long as your gone early as it’s used by mourners in the day time.

When my son died I was there every single night for the best part of a year Kev. You would be surprised how many people go down there at night. His mates often came and sat with me as well, sometimes into the early hours.

The most respectful people at our local cemetery are the gypsies. If they spotted anybody using it as a leisure facility they would soon be 'moved on'.

I've posted about this before. At our local cemetery a large American motorhome was filling up with water for about 20 minutes whilst people were queuing to fill watering cans to tend their relatives graves.

Ok that's an unusual event and extremely arrogant. But sometimes this forum astounds me, we bleat on about the minority spoiling it for the majority and next thing I read about suggesting parking in cemeteries, getting dodgy radar keys. emptying cassettes in supermarkets or at British Waterways disposal points etc. etc.

Perhaps it's not such a minority!

I've posted about this before. At our local cemetery a large American motorhome was filling up with water for about 20 minutes whilst people were queuing to fill watering cans to tend their relatives graves.

Ok that's an unusual event and extremely arrogant. But sometimes this forum astounds me, we bleat on about the minority spoiling it for the majority and next thing I read about suggesting parking in cemeteries, getting dodgy radar keys. emptying cassettes in supermarkets or at British Waterways disposal points etc. etc.

Perhaps it's not such a minority!
Sadly Rob, some seem to think it’s ok to empty their cassettes into WCs that are not designed for such a purpose. When we come back from some trips I use our downstairs toilet. Before doing so I cover the floor with newspaper. I try not to cause to much splashing but some invariably lands outwith the WC basin. I then remove all of the newspaper and my wife then carefully cleans the WC, the lid, and the lower tiled walls in the toilet. This takes her around ten minutes to do. I have seen campers entering and leaving a toilet with their cassettes in less than a minute. Even when signs are erected asking us not to do this.
When I plan a trip I always make sure that after three days I have access to an elsan point.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back