Looking for a dead quiet place to stop?

I Dont think Ive parked outside a cemetery although I did once park on an Aire outside one in some backwater in central Brittany. I dont think the residents objected. :D

I have just "stumbled" on this thread (as I rarely leave the bikers forum.)
I just can't understand why anyone would want to camp at a cemetery?
Totally Astonishing!
I agree with Rob. Its disrespectful. Not only to the departed souls but also their visiting loved ones too
and, as for debating the whys and wherefores about emptying loos and filling up with water???
I despair. Back off to the biker's forum now, where much more important things are discussed.
see ya
So you go to the Outer Hebrides. Drive along to the most beautiful beach you’ve ever seen and park in the carpark which is next to the cemetery. Would you stay the night?
Shaigra on the NW coast is a lovely place to stop and the honesty box is on the cemetery wall.

The cemetery at Sarlat La Caneda has one Aire beside it and another across the road from the entrance.

FE63267F-14F9-4FC9-A26E-BC83AEBC09B8.png

Interesting thread this.
It has made me think about something we say and do and it seems we are not alone.
Iz and I love a good cemetery, the ones in London are stunning, so we often walk around them and admire the sculpted angels, the artwork on the gravestones and read the epitaphs.
Question: is it imposing (figuratively speaking) on peoples grief that we, and others, see cemeteries as a form of architectural or sculptural art and the emotional epitaphs a story to be read when we have no link to the grief therein?
Is this a moral dilemma or am I just over thinking this?

Particularly interested in Robs response, that is if you don't mind Rob.

There's a fabulous old cemetery in Jesmond, Newcastle, somewhat similar to Highgate?, although obviously not quite as big.

Some very interesting folk buried there, and, once wandering around inside, doesn't feel as though you are in the centre of a city at all. Lots of mature trees and wildlife. Quite a lovely place really.

Interesting thread this.
It has made me think about something we say and do and it seems we are not alone.
Iz and I love a good cemetery, the ones in London are stunning, so we often walk around them and admire the sculpted angels, the artwork on the gravestones and read the epitaphs.
Question: is it imposing (figuratively speaking) on peoples grief that we, and others, see cemeteries as a form of architectural or sculptural art and the emotional epitaphs a story to be read when we have no link to the grief therein?
Is this a moral dilemma or am I just over thinking this?

Particularly interested in Robs response, that is if you don't mind Rob.

Not at all Ral.

Cemeteries are fascinating places. Julie and I often have a walk around when we visit Andrew's grave, we often see names which we recognise and we have got to know many of the visitors over the last 16 years, Christmas day will be a special day down there, everybody comes over to shake your hand or give you a hug or if they don't really know you then a respectful bow of the head, It means a lot.

Like @mistericeman I like to visit cemeteries and churches and like yourself I love the architectural and sculptural features and the history. A few years back Julie and I took a relative from NZ up to Thirsk in search of Julie's families graves and we found her great grandfathers headstone. Whilst we were there an old chap came over and asked if we knew the family and it turned out that as a lad he knew her great grandfather. Her cousin from NZ almost burst into tears.

In my opinion, cemeteries are lovely places to visit but people shouldn't outstay their welcome.

Watched the vlog by Liam and Janette (those happy days) yesterday. They wilded in London and visited a cemetery where Peter Pan and Captain Hook are buried side by side. (y)
Thats a great spot where they stopped. Theres always at least 10 vans parked up on the main road at the end of the road they parked on. Some look like they've been there for months, many months. Theres even 2 towing caravans parked up. It's about the only place I can think of for miles where there are no parking restrictions at all, which is very strange. Only about a 10/15 minute walk to Highgate tube, probably 35/40 min to Hampstead station.

I'm pretty sure Dracula ain't buried in Highgate cemetery though, I think they are getting Dracula and Karl Marx mixed up, easy done I guess. :ROFLMAO:
My grand parents are in there though.

Last edited:
Thats a great spot where they stopped. Theres always at least 10 vans parked up on the main road at the end of the road they parked on. Some look like they've been there for months, many months. Theres even 2 towing caravans parked up. It's about the only place I can think of for miles where there are no parking restrictions at all, which is very strange. Only about a 10/15 minute walk to Highgate tube, probably 35/40 min to Hampstead station.

I'm pretty sure Dracula ain't buried in Highgate cemetery though, I think they are getting Dracula and Karl Marx mixed up, easy done I guess. :ROFLMAO:
My grand parents are in there though.
Are you inferring that Dracula and Karl Marx are your Grandparents? o_O

Why be a sheeple ....

Buy a large scale atlas (£6 or so )from a petrol station and search out the path less trod ....
Using the atlas/Google earth/OS maps

You'll discover some stunning unspoiled by being plastered all over the net spots .
That’s the way we’ve found some cracking places to stop. There’s always something at the end of a dead end road.

We've created quite a lot of our own private POIs over the years and we look for those in the area we're going to, then we look on the app which now and then shows one worth looking at which if it is good we add that to ours, and we are always on the look out for new ones as we travel, I confess I'm not very good at adding them to the app though, I usually forget.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back