Looking for a dead quiet place to stop?

Buy an OS MAP you will have all that lovely detail in front of you.😀
I'd need a Lotto win for that Sir, and a trailer to carry them all in, I like the sound of the app, just downloaded the top left one in my picture above, but it's acting up, says the email I put in or the password is wrong, despite when I look at it carefully, it's correct.

The aerial views are a bit old, but useful, just a bit out of focus, they should have got closer.

Google maps is the best nav app. OS does look like it has some useful bits but I'd like a free trial version before spending that much on an app.
Google maps may be better for navigation around the main roads but when we’re talking exploring the roads less traveled you need the detail of a Landranger. You don’t need to buy every map just ones for the places that you want to explore. At under a tenner I don’t think it’s too expensive.
AC5E1A71-5348-4850-A12D-25B29EF9ABE7.jpeg

I think it's each to their own on the mapping front, I spent too many years with maps, atlases and A to Z as a courier, I like me apps, Liz likes a map though, she likes to look at them and block off my view to the NS door mirror :rolleyes:

Thats probably why you like the technology having spent years navigating with A to Zs and maps. Nightmare. I can remember trying to drive around London with an A to Z once upon a time. When Mrs D drowned our TomTom about ten years ago I had to revert back to using a crappy atlas In France, worse still, she refused to navigate. Drove around with the sat nav for two months or so. Couldnt find a replacement and only found the back up old TomTom in the back locker when we got home.

I paid £3,500 for my first one back in 1997/8 it had to be fitted into the Van, it was an Alpine DVD based unit and did a good job it came with a TV aerial too, I had it in two more vans after that but figured out it was pretty basic they just said it was an impossible DIY job unless you were a autosparky, but it was basically a few plugs and a couple of cables for the power and earth, it sounds a lot but I was earning £1200 a week back then as it was still boom time after the big postal strike of 1971? this is when all the courier outfits started up to move mail about, they never got it all back, I had a Garmin que3600 after that, it was also a PDA and was better for the job, and then I started using a Laptop with a GPS antenna and Autoroute with GPS enabled, that was the best as I just put the postcodes in, click optimise and set off, best out of all of them, but some scrote nicked the van while I was delivering down in Wolverhampton, the company had CCTV, which showed my vans reg Clearly, and the van that the scrote got out of was sign written, I the manager rang them in less than 5 minutes, they did sweet FA and even refused to come and talk to me, didn't want the footage or anything, that cost me £12k as it was a fairly new rental as I had a contract to deliver and my van was in dock.

I still have the GPS antenna though and it still works.

I paid £3,500 for my first one back in 1997/8 it had to be fitted into the Van, it was an Alpine DVD based unit and did a good job it came with a TV aerial too, I had it in two more vans after that but figured out it was pretty basic they just said it was an impossible DIY job unless you were a autosparky, but it was basically a few plugs and a couple of cables for the power and earth, it sounds a lot but I was earning £1200 a week back then as it was still boom time after the big postal strike of 1971? this is when all the courier outfits started up to move mail about, they never got it all back, I had a Garmin que3600 after that, it was also a PDA and was better for the job, and then I started using a Laptop with a GPS antenna and Autoroute with GPS enabled, that was the best as I just put the postcodes in, click optimise and set off, best out of all of them, but some scrote nicked the van while I was delivering down in Wolverhampton, the company had CCTV, which showed my vans reg Clearly, and the van that the scrote got out of was sign written, I the manager rang them in less than 5 minutes, they did sweet FA and even refused to come and talk to me, didn't want the footage or anything, that cost me £12k as it was a fairly new rental as I had a contract to deliver and my van was in dock.

I still have the GPS antenna though and it still works.

Presumably with just audio Kev? I almost plumbed for a fitted audio only sat nav in the early 2000s. Even then they were still about a grand. I think I heard the TomToms were coming out though and hung on for one of them. I still have it somewhere. I think it still works.

Not much point in a TV with no picture Barry, it had a screen aerial and full remote control, it was locked out if the ign was on of course but I didn't bother when I fitted in myself, but it was superb having a colour TV when waiting to be loaded or parked up have a rest or eating

I have three TomToms in the van, I'd put them in a bag and found it yesterday only got a charger for one of them though all different :( :(

The working one yesterday

20230120_121251.jpg

It's worth mentioning that the OS maps are available for free using an app called BackCountry Navigator. You do need a data connection however.

It's a strange licencing arrangement that the developer has with Bing, the Microsoft search engine. Bing provides access to OS mapping.

It's a free app so well worth a try.

This app ....

And it helps us find dead end roads and quiet secluded places ...
Also gives you decent clues to the sort of road your travelling on and steep/hairpin bends are mostly noted ...
It's also useful for finding what's around you topographicaly too ...

Example ....

Find dead end road ending at the sea with little if ANY habitation around on OS map ...

View attachment 117236

Crosscheck on Google earth ...

View attachment 117237

Drive there and embrace the beautiful solitude of a unspoiled spot you've found with the added joy of it being like a little mini adventure ....
Rather than just heading where everyother bugger heads .

View attachment 117238View attachment 117239View attachment 117240
I've stayed there. It's a beautiful spot!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back