Loch Lomond and Trossachs

Just read a report on FB from someone who paid the £3 to stay at Lochearnhead. They passed areas full of vans and revellers who also had fires lit and the loud noise went on till 3 in the morning.
It sounds even less attractive than it was!

Don't worry mate, people wearing suits siting behind big desks have stated that the new bylaws will put and end to all that nonsense....aye right!

Btw have you heard that (shall remain nameless) of LLTNPA has just had there house refurbished, acquired adjoining land and put up fences and barbed wire so as to stop access to the loch side behind there house.

Last edited:
It has now descended into a farce, what's worse is some of the LLTNPA Board members have been caught out not declaring an personal interest in decisions made at board meetings which financially benefits them personally, disgusting!

But as we all know they will probably walk away Scot free without facing the consequences.

Agree 110% with you on this!

I find it annoying that so much effort is going into producing unfair and unworkable by laws which seem to be having little effect in resolving the problems when with a fraction of the effort and expense previous powers could have been used to solve the problems.
These farcical measures are serious in that they can result in a criminal record with all that that entails. How ridiculous that it is a criminal offence in theory to stay on one of their campsites or at a friends house, and how unfair the implementation singling out motorhome users.

Here's the good bit IMG_0938.jpg

Bill, what concerns me is, LL&TNP have obviously realised their mega fubar, hence this retraction. With this hindsight, what will be their next move to punish us???

It's very annoying that the money they have spent on this so far could have been put to good use. It will be even more annoying if they spend yet more on the persecution of folk doing no harm and just trying to enjoy themselves when there are perfectly adequate laws available already to deal with those causing damage and general annoyance.

Drive on past

We were up at Loch Lomond a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days/nights, one night wc in a quiet layby and 2 nights on a site at the cost of £42.50
After reading all this i have decided to just keep on driving and completely forget about going back to this area. That was the first and last time that we will go to that area.. Seems confusing to me as to where you can and can't park with a motorcaravan. So it's further north for us from now on..

Such a shame!!!!

Ok a few facts, now I am not talking about Loch Lomond in particular, but the trossachs area in general. I have been in contact with the parks authority since the permit system came into being, and yes I agree wholeheartedly with the stated aim of the system. We must remember that this area around Aberfoyle is not wild or rural, at least not since the 80's, it is a mixture or farming, forest, and leisure industries, all competing for their agenda to be upmost on the minds of the park authorities.

Into this mix we find ourselves, and our demands that the ability to park our Motorhome's wherever we like should be unfettered, well sorry life is not like that, instead of shouting for our perceived rights, we all should be actively engaging with the authority, encouraging them to make available the type of facilities that meet our expectations, rest assured other vested interests have been doing that for some considerable time. And be under no illusions these posts will be read by employees of the authorities, who I have found to be as sympathetic and accommodating as they can be, in fact as I posted on another thred they have started in writing that we are free to overnight in areas where the permits were removed along with many others.

Finally the permit system has not worked in some areas, so the park has responded to constructive criticism and adapted, that should be welcomed, as these changes benefited us most of all.

EMAILS from Loch Lomond Park Authority,

"People with campervans and motorhomes can use lochshore laybys to stop and rest (including sleeping overnight if necessary), but encampment on a road (including laybys) is an offence under road traffic legislation and will be managed by Police Scotland accordingly, in cooperation with landowners. ~ It should be noted and clarified with you that these areas where permits were previously in place, such as Bocastle, are available for you to park up and stay at without the need for a permit. In fact you can now park up and stay at any layby or site in the park as you will have done in the years previous. The only exception to this is the Park Authority and Forestry Commission sites at Firkin Point, Inverulgas and Three Lochs Forest Drive which still require permits to be bought."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok a few facts, now I am not talking about Loch Lomond in particular, but the trossachs area in general. I have been in contact with the parks authority since the permit system came into being, and yes I agree wholeheartedly with the stated aim of the system. We must remember that this area around Aberfoyle is not wild or rural, at least not since the 80's, it is a mixture or farming, forest, and leisure industries, all competing for their agenda to be upmost on the minds of the park authorities.

Into this mix we find ourselves, and our demands that the ability to park our Motorhome's wherever we like should be unfettered, well sorry life is not like that, instead of shouting for our perceived rights, we all should be actively engaging with the authority, encouraging them to make available the type of facilities that meet our expectations, rest assured other vested interests have been doing that for some considerable time. And be under no illusions these posts will be read by employees of the authorities, who I have found to be as sympathetic and accommodating as they can be, in fact as I posted on another thred they have started in writing that we are free to overnight in areas where the permits were removed along with many others.

Finally the permit system has not worked in some areas, so the park has responded to constructive criticism and adapted, that should be welcomed, as these changes benefited us most of all.

Ahh! So it's the motorhomers fault then, I'm glad your few facts cleared that up.

The LLTNPA only engage with the public on there terms. Just have a read through there latest public consultation.

There are more than enough measures already in place to deal with law breakers, perhaps the money would have been better spent on funding more police officers to deal with the ghastly motorhomers.

Ahh! So it's the motorhomers fault then, I'm glad your few facts cleared that up.

The LLTNPA only engage with the public on there terms. Just have a read through there latest public consultation.

There are more than enough measures in place to deal with law breakers, perhaps the money would have been better spent on funding more police officers to deal with the ghastly motorhomers.

I don't understand how you would come to that conclusion from my post, so I have added the information I received from the park authority and amended my post.

I don't understand how you would come to that conclusion from my post, so I have added the information I received from the park authority and amended my post.

It's down to poor management that zoomers can show up to have booze parties and make a mess. There are sufficient laws already in place to deal with them. Places of natural beauty are there for us all to enjoy wether camping in a tent, motorhome or caravan.

The LLTNPA think they are a law unto themselves and can do as they please, this attitude has backfired on them. I hope an independent investigation takes place and the people responsible for this farce and waste of public money are dealt with.

Turning the Trossachs into a National Park has been a disaster, Tom Weir has been proven correct.

It's down to poor management that zoomers can show up to have booze parties and make a mess. There are sufficient laws already in place to deal with them. Places of natural beauty are there for us all to enjoy wether camping in a tent, motorhome or caravan.

The LLTNPA think they are a law unto themselves and can do as they please, this attitude has backfired on them. I hope an independent investigation takes place and the people responsible for this farce and waste of public money are dealt with.

Turning the Trossachs into a National Park has been a disaster, Tom Weir has been proven correct.

There is a saying the road to ruin is paved with good intentions, if we didn't have national parks then planning would be given carte blanche to any unscrupulous developer, and soon the area would be lost forever, the fact that the management so far has been a little amateurish is unfortunate to say the least. Unfortunately it's not just the park but users of the park who demand or exercise their self appointed rights, and completely ignore their responsibilities.
Don't worry when Scotland finally sees sense and makes me King, I will soon sort the wee nose picker's out.

Reading through this has made my understanding of where I can and can't park as clear as mud. Result - Steer clear altogether.

Reading through this has made my understanding of where I can and can't park as clear as mud. Result - Steer clear altogether.

There's a very informative website called parkswatchscotland, it's a lot of reading but tells a very different story of what's going on within our National Park Authorities. Incompetence and corruption at the highest level over a long period, some of those responsible have moved on but hopefully, one day, an independent investigation will take place.

There's a very informative website called parkswatchscotland, it's a lot of reading but tells a very different story of what's going on within our National Park Authorities. Incompetence and corruption at the highest level over a long period, some of those responsible have moved on but hopefully, one day, an independent investigation will take place.
I've tried that website and the mud hasn't yet cleared, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about incompetence, or arguably, fraud by the National Parks Authority.

I've tried that website and the mud hasn't yet cleared, but I'm seeing a lot of complaints about incompetence, or arguably, fraud by the National Parks Authority.

Exactly, incompetence and fraud, so we're back to 'park where you like' as long as you don't behave anti socially or the cops will deal with you. The way it was before LLTNPA ruined it!

Incompetence from the top maybe, But Fraud (actually that law is not known in Scotland)? are you serious? are you stating the park authorities had a "felonious" intention to deceive, but only in the specific areas no longer covered by the permit system, that's one helluva completed deception, and for so little gain! :lol-053:

And as for the park authority destroying Loch Lomond and the trossachs, I think we have reached "Maximus argumentum ad absurdum" the park are responsible for deciding over 300 planning applications per year including rejection of large developments, and this involves them facing legions of highly paid lawyers who are trying every means possible to open the park for their clients to build upon.

Instead of mad rants, that only portray the motorhome community as crabbit whingers (to mix my Scots with Proto-Germanic) wouldn't we be better served by campaigning for proper facilities? Areas for wild camping existed well before the park came into being and still do, in cases within a literal stones throw from the permitted area. Better to be inside pissing out perhaps?

So why don't we all email this to the Park https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...ping-drive-tourism-boost-for-hawick-1-4497053

on info@lochlomond-trossachs.org or write to Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park Authority Carrochan Carrochan Road Balloch G83 8EG And argue our case, as a community, an organisation, our camping may be "Wild" no reason for our arguments to so be.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back