Loch Lomond and Trossachs

Think , perhaps , you are on the wrong forum ?

Not really. By their setting up of qangos like LLTNP they are having a direct and detrimental effect on the motorhoming style that we discuss on this forum.
As it happens the particular MSP who particularly riled me over this actually appears to have a balanced view on the subject of overnighting in motorhomes and agrees that it would be best to use current legislation to properly control miscreants.
I can't think of a more appropriate forum to discuss such things.

Not really. By their setting up of qangos like LLTNP they are having a direct and detrimental effect on the motorhoming style that we discuss on this forum.
As it happens the particular MSP who particularly riled me over this actually appears to have a balanced view on the subject of overnighting in motorhomes and agrees that it would be best to use current legislation to properly control miscreants.
I can't think of a more appropriate forum to discuss such things.

So you are suggesting that nobody should look after national parks etc ? Ridiculous , I'm sure there are similar organisations all over Britain doing similar jobs . As I'm sure you are well aware of ?
You are , again , just using a thread to air your political bias . I think it is inappropriate .

So you are suggesting that nobody should look after national parks etc ? Ridiculous , I'm sure there are similar organisations all over Britain doing similar jobs . As I'm sure you are well aware of ?
You are , again , just using a thread to air your political bias . I think it is inappropriate .

You are welcome to your opinion.
I think that the effect of some political decisions on our hobby are worth some discussion.
Similar organisations in other parts of Britain doing similar jobs have not yet taken the draconian steps that LLTNP have. You referred to an MSP who had suggested that these policies should spread (don't forget that stopping in the wrong place could lead to a criminal record) though this was some time ago and he now appears to have a more reasonable view. I don't think discussion of the matter is at all inappropriate. Burying heads in the sand will not make these threats go away.

As you were actually there, Tam, forward your info to your MSP. Explain the debacle.

I didn't take these pictures just copied from a Facebook group I'm a member of, there's plenty more too. Some people are gathering evidence to show how the LLTNPA is actually detrimental to the Trossachs.

The day the Trossachs became a national park was the beginning of the end for me.
I just heard a planning application has been submitted to build 22 new homes directly on the west highland way, so how does that conserve our areas of natural beauty?
Also rumours abound of a flamingo land style park on land that is otherwise worthless. Another example of how LLTNPA Board Members are in cahoots with other local landowners, let's see what happens next.

I am really not too familiar with Loch Lomond area from a WC point of view, I'm more familiar with some areas of the Trossachs, though.

For balance, if worthless land can be utilised to build a tourist facility (if true) then let them carry on, as income and jobs are generated. Planning application, if granted, could be a useful tool? But, I witnessed myself, my own local planning authority refuse an application, to then see refusal overturned by LRB (local review body) which are basically councillors who have no clue of planning rules and regs. IMHO, this is when the brown envelopes come into play.

Ultimately, which takes us to the political arena, Holyrood allow these quangos free rein to do what they wish. I have seen this with my own work and, we all know the debacle of Police Jokeland!!

Can you send a link for planning application, please. Be interesting to see how this pans out.

I don't have a link for the planning application yet. Apparently it went to the Local Authority end of February and now has to be considered (passed) by LLTNPA at the next Board meeting.

The land isn't worthless to local wildlife.

You are welcome to your opinion.
I think that the effect of some political decisions on our hobby are worth some discussion.
Similar organisations in other parts of Britain doing similar jobs have not yet taken the draconian steps that LLTNP have. You referred to an MSP who had suggested that these policies should spread (don't forget that stopping in the wrong place could lead to a criminal record) though this was some time ago and he now appears to have a more reasonable view. I don't think discussion of the matter is at all inappropriate. Burying heads in the sand will not make these threats go away.

Discuss away . Fail to see why you insist on inflicting your irrelevant political bias on these matters ? You appear to be somewhat obsessed , quite unhealthily so . I did indeed refer to an MSP's comments but never mentioned his party . I left that to you

Discuss away . Fail to see why you insist on inflicting your irrelevant political bias on these matters ? You appear to be somewhat obsessed , quite unhealthily so . I did indeed refer to an MSP's comments but never mentioned his party . I left that to you

Maybe it would be best if you were to start another thread, suggested title "Loch Lomond and Trossachs politics free". Should be riveting.

Anyway we are booked for the Trossachs, and will post pictures of what we find, one is locked in and the other is not, incidentally when booking we were made aware of one parking area that is not covered by the camping ban? Strange as it's a good area to park up and we thought it was was, but we received written conformation from the park authority that it's exempt! :camper::camper::cheers:

Anyway we are booked for the Trossachs, and will post pictures of what we find, one is locked in and the other is not, incidentally when booking we were made aware of one parking area that is not covered by the camping ban? Strange as it's a good area to park up and we thought it was was, but we received written conformation from the park authority that it's exempt! :camper::camper::cheers:

Can you post in members only section the area they stated out of interest
Thanks Gordon

incidentally when booking we were made aware of one parking area that is not covered by the camping ban? Strange as it's a good area to park up and we thought it was, but we received written conformation from the park authority that it's exempt!

Thanks Rita and Andrew for posting location in exempt area. We only visited Loch Lomond once and didn't stay long so no experts but...
Comparing that location with the restricted areas shown on the map at the link below I can see that it is not restricted. However, I could not immediately see any other likely unrestricted spots.
It would be helpful if the LLTNPA marked all the places in unrestricted areas where motor caravans might be parked on this map but if they did it might be too clear a statement of how few there are and they would quickly be full up too.

http://www.thisisyourpark.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Overview_of-CMZ.jpg

LLTNPA say the Camping Management Zones cover less than 4% of the National Park but I guess that the area actually physically accessible to motor Caravans and worth "camping" at is little more than 4%.

Might be interesting (or depressing) to overlay the WC POIs on the LLTNPA map.

Hope you have a good trip and find good places to stop.

I just read a post on FB from someone who was in one of the parks outside the zone and was disturbed by the police to inform him that he needed a permit to stay there. Obviously there is no crime in the area to keep them busy. 😟

I just read a post on FB from someone who was in one of the parks outside the zone and was disturbed by the police to inform him that he needed a permit to stay there. Obviously there is no crime in the area to keep them busy. 😟

That sounds just about right

better avoid this aera ?

hello,
I wanted to visit Loch Lomond , coming all the way up from Austria in the first week of July, on my way to Ireland. But after reading this thread ist seems to be better to avoid this area or pass through with no overnight stay. The few continentals, going north, don't even know about this changes in Scotland. Very sad to read this. By the way, we want to visit Edinburgh. Any good place to stop overnight ? CP is also no problem.
Greetings from the South of Austria with 21 degrees today. My cherry trees here are blossoming.

hello,
I wanted to visit Loch Lomond , coming all the way up from Austria in the first week of July, on my way to Ireland. But after reading this thread ist seems to be better to avoid this area or pass through with no overnight stay. The few continentals, going north, don't even know about this changes in Scotland. Very sad to read this. By the way, we want to visit Edinburgh. Any good place to stop overnight ? CP is also no problem.
Greetings from the South of Austria with 21 degrees today. My cherry trees here are blossoming.

Loch Lomond is worth visiting. We, the locals, are annoyed about what's recently transpired and feel that in particular tourists will suffer most from the new bylaws introduced in March. If you find a vacant permit spot you can take it and book your permit online once your parked up. However, it's not always possible to get a signal at Loch Lomond and this has been brought to the attention on the park authority. They state that Rangers will take this into consideration and you can book retrospectively, so if you are approached by a Ranger just explain the situation. Permit places are only enforced between 7pm til 7am.

Please don't miss out on visiting this beautiful place because of a shambolicly run park authority

Just read a report on FB from someone who paid the £3 to stay at Lochearnhead. They passed areas full of vans and revellers who also had fires lit and the loud noise went on till 3 in the morning.
It sounds even less attractive than it was!

Just read a report on FB from someone who paid the £3 to stay at Lochearnhead. They passed areas full of vans and revellers who also had fires lit and the loud noise went on till 3 in the morning.

I've read that as well 2cv where they had the tables and chairs out also there was caravans they think they paid the £3 and then informed their friends,but they also said that they made it very awkward for passing if I could post it on here I would but sadly can't

Seen caravans with awnings out in the lay-bys of lo heart head before, also the burned out shells of caravans, I visited there once before out of holiday season great place to stay but there's no way I would be anywhere near it on a bank holiday

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back