Leave no trace...uhhhm

This week there was a picture of the big carpark in Fort William taken from the council offices on the FB group you mentioned. Lots of motorhomes parked up, probably spending money in FW. Still plenty of car park spaces open. Do they see it as an opportunity? No chance.
I find the highland region perplexing Meg.
On one hand the region seem pragmatic on their attitude towards us, but locally this can vary. And Fort William is a prime example. To a business person with profit in mind each and every one of these vans is a potential spender, and you can spend a few quid in the fort. But to a narrow minded local politician with less than average intelligence, they see us a hoard of destructive Wildebeest, about empty all of their toilet cassettes into the sea in unison, whilst offering abuse to anyone who dares to question our right to do so.
The fact that this massive car park lies empty each night when it could easily support 10-20 vans for a fee, just about sums this lot up. They could do what others have done in Highland region and asked for £10 a night. But I suppose when you have a thriving high street, and lots of spare cash to throw around you simply don’t think like that.

I wouldn’t recommend any of the whisky’s you have to a non whisky drinker. If you ever take your van to Orkney get a bottle of Scapa🫶🥃👌😘. It’s sweet and smooth with a heather honey taste and is just nectar🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🙏
Orkneys is on our list Cale. I will try to remember your advice.

It would have to be taken into account I suppose Neil.

But if somebody dumped waste into a hedgerow or similar the DNA evidence would be overwhelming. Don't forget they solve other crimes using this method and bodies or loot are often concealed out in thecountryside.

It sounds far fetched but it would be reasonably easy to do and a few hits with massive fines would deter people I'm sure.
I believe they have done this DNA testing with dogs when an owner has persistently allowed his/her dog to poo and not picked up after them. I think the fine can go up to £1,000.

Bill we’ve parked in that car park in Ft William and I’ve never seen it full and like you Bill we always spend at least £200 when we’re there, and @barryd according to the post the photo was taken about 7.30 in the morning! But I did say that they’re not allowed to park in there overnight. Caledonian it was really sad to see how many shops were closed the last time we were there,

We would all drown in our motorhomes :)
You bought a sub standard model. 😂
floating m home.jpg

Bill we’ve parked in that car park in Ft William and I’ve never seen it full and like you Bill we always spend at least £200 when we’re there, and @barryd according to the post the photo was taken about 7.30 in the morning! But I did say that they’re not allowed to park in there overnight. Caledonian it was really sad to see how many shops were closed the last time we were there,
Now they have stopped the overnight motorhome parking on the Shinty club car park I don't think I will bother stopping in Fort William again unless I need a supermarket. The main street is really dismal now with so much shut up. That in itself is one thing but the current anti motorhome bias is the clincher

Now they have stopped the overnight motorhome parking on the Shinty club car park I don't think I will bother stopping in Fort William again unless I need a supermarket. The main street is really dismal now with so much shut up. That in itself is one thing but the current anti motorhome bias is the clincher
It’s sad when you see all the shops that have closed in FW but I’m the same as you and only stop when I need a supermarket.

Please note
Using rocks/pebbles from the beach or riverbed will have absorbed water. When these get very hot the steam may cause a pebble to explode
Do think carefully what is being used.
I personally take an old mini bbq as my firepit.

Or in some cases you could argue it’s due to the inaction of some councils who are quite openly anti Motorhome. I am just back from where you live and I saw little evidence of any hatred towards me, exactly the opposite in fact. But what I did notice was the total lack of facilities being offered. Perhaps it’s time for some in local councils to do something positive for a change like actually manage the situation instead of simply complaining about it. But to be fair to Highland council, in comparison to some others they are well ahead of the game. A large proportion of those motorhomes come from Europe, and they are used to far superior facilities than what we currently offer.
Also some of the prices up north are scandalous. I was offered somewhere to park with no facilities whatsoever in Durness for £20, more expensive than the CCC site in Oban with showers, chemical waste etc, at £18.20 a night.
Agree with your comments.

Currently on an aire in France,

Collonges-la-Rouge​

Cost, which includes EHU, there is a toilet, which is clean, the usual black and grey dump, and fresh water, I’ll round it up, £10.00 for 24 hrs. If you don’t want to stop, just empty and take on fresh water, there is no cost.

I’m glad I have done the Highlands a few times, Mull, Outer Hebrides etc, as appears the idiots are spoiling it for responsible camping cars with full facilities.

I do have a hankering for one final jaunt North of Perth, problem is, it is difficult to guess a good time with the numpties spoiling my final trip??

Last edited:
Out of that list Jura would be the only one I would drink, add a tiny spot of water and it does make it smoother

Isle of Jura malt was my very first taste of whisky and very nice it was too!

My first "proper" job in my teens was at Scottish & Newcastle Breweries in Bath Lane, Newcastle.
They'd rebuilt and re-opened the Jura brewery in 1958 and it was a big part of their product offerings.

As a member of staff all the drink was heavily discounted... unfortunately I wasn't much of a drinker at the time...! 😱 🙄 😁

Most of S&N's own products in the beer line were pretty cr*p, apart from their 2 cask ales (70 and 80 shilling).
Camerons from north of the border was similarly yuk. 😝🤮

I didn't discover decent beer until I moved to Derbyshire - the Midlands boasted a wealth of wonderful breweries operating at the time - only a few left now - the majority of which knocked the spots off any of the brown pee that qualified as "beer" at S&N. It was a revelation! 😋😋😋👌

Isle of Jura malt was my very first taste of whisky and very nice it was too!

My first "proper" job in my teens was at Scottish & Newcastle Breweries in Bath Lane, Newcastle.
They'd rebuilt and re-opened the Jura brewery in 1958 and it was a big part of their product offerings.

As a member of staff all the drink was heavily discounted... unfortunately I wasn't much of a drinker at the time...! 😱 🙄 😁

Most of S&N's own products in the beer line were pretty cr*p, apart from their 2 cask ales (70 and 80 shilling).
Camerons from north of the border was similarly yuk. 😝🤮

I didn't discover decent beer until I moved to Derbyshire - the Midlands boasted a wealth of wonderful breweries operating at the time - only a few left now - the majority of which knocked the spots off any of the brown pee that qualified as "beer" at S&N. It was a revelation! 😋😋😋👌
Yes my brother in law reckoned he was a big drinker when he moved from near London to Buxton, went from 12 pints and walking home sky to 3 and flat out lol. That said I only liked Pedigree or else it had to be lager but I was never much of a beer drinker

Did the Outer Hebrides pre Covid. Had great time. Started in the south and wandered north. Ended up leaving Lewis and Harris early as weather appalling. Wild camped most of the time with no problems. Planning on going back to Lewis and Harris in couple weeks to have another look but am a bit alarmed at the seemingly changed attitude to Wild Camping. The web site seems to imply that it is now forbidden with overnight parking only permitted in "designated areas and camp sites". Please tell me this is not true!

Did the Outer Hebrides pre Covid. Had great time. Started in the south and wandered north. Ended up leaving Lewis and Harris early as weather appalling. Wild camped most of the time with no problems. Planning on going back to Lewis and Harris in couple weeks to have another look but am a bit alarmed at the seemingly changed attitude to Wild Camping. The web site seems to imply that it is now forbidden with overnight parking only permitted in "designated areas and camp sites". Please tell me this is not true!
I have spent most of this year in the Highlands although not on the islands. I still had no problem going where I wanted and parking where I wanted. I vent used a camp site since last year down In devizes for a night. I don't spend time in towns unless I am getting shopping so can't really say what they are like

I have spent most of this year in the Highlands although not on the islands. I still had no problem going where I wanted and parking where I wanted. I vent used a camp site since last year down In devizes for a night. I don't spend time in towns unless I am getting shopping so can't really say what they are like
I'll take a wild stab that you do like we do and avoid the honey pots ....

Makes me smile when folks always rattle on about the likes of the nc500 etc etc ...
Saying how busy it was ....

whilst driving past some of the most scenic and unspoiled spots that AREN'T plastered over the Internet etc ...sheeple .

Yes I was talking to a couple in a small PVC who pulled up near me, they said they were doing the NC500. I told them when they pass a small road just take it and see where it leads. They messaged me back a few days later saying that’s what they ended up doing and found some wonderful spots 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:376)

runnach, colinm, Far and Beyond, Robmac, Bigshug, mistericeman, Heppy, Alberto, wildebus, number14, caledonia, CHAIRMAN, GeoffL, andyjanet, kensowerby, campervanannie, Bouydog, 1807truckman, clarkpeacock, Admin, jeffmossy, guerdeval, n brown, oppy, NSY, maingate, rugbyken, 2cv, Val54, barryd, Dezi, yorkslass, Wully, davep10000, alcam, pamjon, AllanD, bobemmo29, DTF, TeamRienza, Tonybvi, SimonM, Owen M, saxonborg, witzend, RSD7a, The Jacks, Scotia, Biggarmac, RichardHelen262, 1 Cup, winks, mark61, liz, jagmanx, Wooie1958, Fifer, Boris7, Topmast, izwozral, hamsterberg27, ajb70, Faith shields, A11EEY, GMJ, mariesnowgoose, jimmybanks41, glekay, Clareellen, ricc, trooper2000, trevskoda, walpeter, jann, Ian and Cath, Jo001, Livotlout, The laird, UFO, Mossystone, denmar, Norfolk NewBoy, Makzine, Rosehip, Tezza33, Steve and Julie, myvanwy, belbri, marchie, r4dent, Pauljenny, vwalan, Charlynch, Victor, molly 2, JVG, cornish hymer, tony, jacquigem, teej1, st3v3, adriahome, 5andy, dvla3336, peejay, hayhiker, Dbrownroute66, ewen, harrow, Drover, Canalsman, Nabsim, Greengrass, Benylin, shortcircuit, groyne, Neckender, Fisherman, bdastu, terrywolf, Rond, kingfisher1, alwaysared, kevlakes, merl, regnarts, hmssnake, GinaRon, Glandwr, mygrassisblue, lthoel2, jeanette, Apostrophe, Tartarus, Doigy, Obanboy666, SCRUMPY BOY, Kazzie, GuyGuerilla, calvo, Sharon the Cat, ironman, SquirrellCook, longtoedsloth, paulhelenwilko, Bheinn, MartinFife, chrishunter, iandsm, vindiboy, Debroos, G and T, Tapfitter, Alun100, fionamcharg, zzr1400tim, flying kipper, BOTCANU, Caz, korky, Lee, Cass, reiverlad, bellars, Tim120, stonedaddy, bjh, MrRob, Moocher, TopazBob, BarryNo1, outdoorellen, stroller, Magsw, tuckerstravel, AnniePhoo, Bilw, davef, vtwinner, MartinCurren, gilsof31, Budgie, mick n jules, Zen, Hymer Snobs, Rong, Winger, Dicknmaggie, popeye1958, CHII BUS, Forcesixwindy, prioryi, defect, RegnVal, iampatman, Peisinoe, David Horsfall, Rob H, davibubb, Sooloo, Rumour, marchhare, DTDOG, CWH, Sheila Bryant, morsefields, GWAYGWAY, Linda, Rivertowy, Ken Parsons, jonc, mr. badolki, Mr K2, Les and penny, tripper, EllieM, Mickrick, MrKenny, Gadabout2, Julian211056, Welshscot, chrisvs57, Matthew362, Elfit, jaybeeonline, Mikebike, alanfleming, REC, Andys, scaley, Vatsmith, Thistle, Ali-lou, IanJ, Steviechi, 2Coops, Nickrock, Alf, gasgas, Di1234, Petes, TeamPuffin, noah and nelly, V1nny, linkshouse, gripseven, Patandtubs, AlynRuth, seagoon, Rolyan57, Divine Right, knowledgeseeker, jordan, cooperman, Richard Wasteney, robertdougl, shaunr68, topchook, Del668, helmit, Adriafan, Hagg3066, Wheelie, Rod, hanger18, Roy, DAVEY, Bazza1509, WingNut, barge1914, Mikecoo, painter01, amcjam, BigAldo, MrU, NudeJude, geoffnmurph, DaveCP, Hornet49, bnb080, GeorgeK, BETTSY, mikepilot, Sean, grobpilot, fullbob, Wightman, gabby82, GeordieBoy, Daz Newcastle, dtdunn, Redcallaway1, Damo, Gerry Attrick, alca, Wildrock, smg, scampa, barrypat, sprinterzebra, Martin P, Kernow Kodgers, Anyuser, DaveH, Rosso, Essa, campingfun, RJH, Motoroamer, Palette, Antonio, mikejay, Gareth Morgan, Fazerloz, lefty107, roadroamer, Daz65, Wardy73, gettingolder2, MoiioM, Cie, Dido, B4cus, Nomad Nelly, Bubble, Jiwawa, koala53, TrishAndyHolt, Andylynne, rambrose, Mischief2, Moonraker 2, Vajrasiddhi, Ted, rjmurchie, Texastom, fiona b, Tinapow, Chip, specky4eyes, Camper49, MickyLove, QFour, Costers, Pudsey Bear, Herman, Mandoman, aross, ton27, Floydster, Bat21, Cosmicyoyo, Quiddle, INKA51, Ly085, JQB, ScarletPimple, maxsdad, Zavvy, TrevnLyn, ruddock, Vivall, Lioncrunch, BigD003, Nomad, CarlandHels, MikeBBB, euro28, mike v, torwood, Ex Greeny, ladysuemagoo, rogerha, ozbit, Jakethepeg1, Murgzie,
Back