Just some price opinions please

Nooooo way,sheet of alloy £80 fold and rivet or weld,or go grp,maybe i should start making these things.
I have no metal working experience or tools/kit and don't intend to buy any for a one off project (I prefer wood). There is a small metal works in town that will do bespoke small stuff so I will also pop into them for a price.

It's a nice tidy box, we love a tidy box....

It would be expensive to be made as a one off, interested to hear what your local place says :)

Your price compares with the fiber glass ones on ebay. Getting one made will it be weather proof. How about keeping your eyes open for a s/h one
will definitely keep eye out for s/h as I am not in a rush. Quite simply its one of those products that if like me you don't know the costs of materials and the skill levels involved in manufacturing its really hard to know its value. It will be storage for kit and spares, such as a jack, belts, tow rope etc stuff I really don't want nicked if I am in Kazakhstan!!

Ground clearance is a priority, I'm looking to move the under slung spare wheel
I have mine on me bum
sw  3.jpg

A quick search and some very rough maths looks like just the Aluminium at 3mm thick to be £130-£150. The box in the link doesn't state thickness so that's a question to ask them.

You could get a trailer for less. More capacity and it doesn't count towards the payload or raise the centre of gravity.

I don't know how much a box costs to make or material price, but .... The two optional accessories - the piano hinge and the gas strut - seem pretty pricey for the typical price you pay for those elsewhere so it does make me wonder on the price of the box itself?

You could get a trailer for less. More capacity and it doesn't count towards the payload or raise the centre of gravity.
Good points and the centre of gravity is playing on my mind tbh. Not getting a trailer but appreciate the idea

What stops the water getting in. There are no seals on the box so water will get in. Roof box from Halfords will have weather seals. How much does the box weigh and how are you going to mount it. How much payload do you have. Have you weighed it with all your stuff in, this includes you and any other passengers + water, fuel and food. What are your axle weight limits.

Good points and the centre of gravity is playing on my mind tbh.

Sorry, I know I introduced CoG into the thread but, now I've done the math, I think it is a red herring.
Looking at the picture of your van, every 100 kg that you put in the box raises the CoG by about an inch.

It will, of course, reduce your available payload.

Remember the Top Gear double deck cars

What stops the water getting in. There are no seals on the box so water will get in. Roof box from Halfords will have weather seals. How much does the box weigh and how are you going to mount it. How much payload do you have. Have you weighed it with all your stuff in, this includes you and any other passengers + water, fuel and food. What are your axle weight limits.
It has seals, the box edge is folded to go up into the lid. If it is of a reasonable thickness then its a decent price. A one off will be very costly.

Sorry, I know I introduced CoG into the thread but, now I've done the math, I think it is a red herring.
Looking at the picture of your van, every 100 kg that you put in the box raises the CoG by about an inch.

It will, of course, reduce your available payload.

Remember the Top Gear double deck cars

Thanks for taking interest with regards to CoG, I am completely unsure how you arrived at those figures but they are reassuring, but it is already a tippy/top heavy camper. The track width of the L300 Delica is not very wide, so I am going to proceed with caution. I have contacted the manufacturer asking for the boxes weight.

sorry not best photo but the best I've got on the laptop. You can just make out the bottom of the red mud guards

20200415_192518.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back