Just some price opinions please

I thought these were good value at £110 +vat with gas struts.

Screenshot_20200719-094208_Chrome.jpg
Daken-Features.jpg

Designed for use on wagons so should be tough

Last edited:
Have you ever had your van weighed? These vans are very prone to overloading.
Payload is is 330K, the 3 of us approx 160K, plus 50L of water leaves 100-110 k to play with but want to travel sub 350 so weight is being considered with every purchase as the PV panel is not on yet. Luxuries will stay at home, with a 3.5 GVW there will be compromises and I am aware of that. There are certain tools/spares that I have to carry, boy better get use to playing with sticks :D

I thought these were good value at £110 +vat with gas struts.

View attachment 84480View attachment 84481

Designed for use on wagons so should be tough
Thank you so much, that is far better budget wise, looks stronger than a Halfords and I suspect I can make it secure quite easily if the lock is a bit naff.

Thank you so much, that is far better budget wise, looks stronger than a Halfords and I suspect I can make it secure quite easily if the lock is a bit naff.

They do ally and stainless ones... More expensive obviously.

I had no intentions of putting anything valuable in there as whatever the box is made out of... Someone will no doubt have a crack at it.

Just parking chocks/hosepipe etc bulky low value stuff that takes up room inside.

Payload is is 330K, the 3 of us approx 160K, plus 50L of water leaves 100-110 k to play with but want to travel sub 350 so weight is being considered with every purchase as the PV panel is not on yet. Luxuries will stay at home, with a 3.5 GVW there will be compromises and I am aware of that. There are certain tools/spares that I have to carry, boy better get use to playing with sticks :D
I've not seen any of these that have a GVW of 3.5t, but that aside the usual thing is they overload the rear axle.

Sorry you asked now
Just get it if it’s what you want
Not sorry at all, really pleased I did. Sound opinions and good advice and can make a more educated purchase. I know the box is reasonably priced and have been recommended a box that is much cheaper but may still be fit for purpose, whats to be sorry about :unsure:

Last edited:
I've not seen any of these that have a GVW of 3.5t, but that aside the usual thing is they overload the rear axle.
You were right, I was getting mixed up. Below is the Delica L300 specs, not for the camper version but I believe the chassis is the same.

Weight
Empty 1690 – 1720 kg (depending on options)
Max. 2505 kg
Max. load front axle 1300 kg
Max. load rear axle 1450 kg
Max. weight trailer (with brakes) 2000 kg
Max. weight trailer (without brakes) 600 kg
Max. load tow bar 75 kg
Max. load roof 150 kg

I can find the plate that has chassis number and model but it doesn't have the axle weights :(

i have a large aluminium box on the back of mine i cut it down but still much larger than i intended was very worried that the tail would wag but in fact have found it actually rides better , even in aluminium it took a lot of my payload and i am in the process of increasing weight
E08681FA-DA53-481A-B08C-C62963A44615.jpeg

You were right, I was getting mixed up. Below is the Delica L300 specs, not for the camper version but I believe the chassis is the same.

Weight
Empty 1690 – 1720 kg (depending on options)
Max. 2505 kg
Max. load front axle 1300 kg
Max. load rear axle 1450 kg
Max. weight trailer (with brakes) 2000 kg
Max. weight trailer (without brakes) 600 kg
Max. load tow bar 75 kg
Max. load roof 150 kg

I can find the plate that has chassis number and model but it doesn't have the axle weights :(
I would suggest before you start adding any extra's you visit a weighbridge to find the actual weights on the axles, the usual advice is to do this fully loaded. Remember although it is very unlikely you will get stopped and weighed, but if you are you won't be allowed to proceed overloaded, it's all very well dumping the water, but after that it's your possessions which will have to be removed.
BTW, don't ever believe any book or sellers figures on payload.

I would suggest before you start adding any extra's you visit a weighbridge to find the actual weights on the axles, the usual advice is to do this fully loaded. Remember although it is very unlikely you will get stopped and weighed, but if you are you won't be allowed to proceed overloaded, it's all very well dumping the water, but after that it's your possessions which will have to be removed.
BTW, don't ever believe any book or sellers figures on payload.
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the reply. I think your right, an 'empty' weigh would be useful. Getting stopped isn't my concern, I want to be within weight specs to help keep the vehicle in one piece. I plan to be on the Pamir Highway in spring 2023 so hopefully if I look after her she might look after me!!

The writer has got over excited quite frankly, it is a maintained road after all.........but to stick with the topic, its not a road I want to be overweight on.

IMO that's a good price if its 3mm chequer plate that's close on £180, it is weather sealed, says so in the blurb. I think the weight could be an issue, the sheet is around 28kg. Unless you know your van weight I would get it weighed b4 committing.

With bambi I found a empty salt box on the road, im very lucky like that! But it took all my kite gear to weston sm
The first summer. But it did wag. But it kept the sand out of van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back