Just some price opinions please

rear wheel arch shows how some weight already 'hangs over'

20200415_192605.jpg

What stops the water getting in. There are no seals on the box so water will get in. Roof box from Halfords will have weather seals. How much does the box weigh and how are you going to mount it. How much payload do you have. Have you weighed it with all your stuff in, this includes you and any other passengers + water, fuel and food. What are your axle weight limits.
I am really unsure where the above came from 😕..........

I asked for some opinions on the price of a box and can't see the relevance of your mass of questions

Last edited:
If you look on the sister site “ motorhome builder “ I fabricated an aluminium box to cover the rear end of the chassis. The best part of a day was spent. With wages being so high these days the hourly rate can be frightening.

If you look on the sister site “ motorhome builder “ I fabricated an aluminium box to cover the rear end of the chassis. The best part of a day was spent. With wages being so high these days the hourly rate can be frightening.
Nice one (y)

will have a look

You can get lockable ally site storage boxes or commercial van tool boxes ( similar to van vault only in ally ) which may be worth considering dependant on size you want

What stops the water getting in. There are no seals on the box so water will get in. Roof box from Halfords will have weather seals. How much does the box weigh and how are you going to mount it. How much payload do you have. Have you weighed it with all your stuff in, this includes you and any other passengers + water, fuel and food. What are your axle weight limits.
When I looked at those Halford roof boxes one of my initial thoughts was any thief would look at it and think 'easy', even if wrong they will damage it. Whereas the box says 'you will have to do some work to get in here'

The contents would not be valuable but important, the spare fan belt being a good example

Have a look on here....
A decent range of well priced commercial storage boxes.

I am really unsure where the above came from 😕..........

I asked for some opinions on the price of a box and can't see the relevance of your mass of questions

Sorry. Price looks Ok for what you get. Happy Camping

Your price compares with the fiber glass ones on ebay. Getting one made will it be weather proof. How about keeping your eyes open for a s/h one
p.s. i am looking for one, in plasteek, ok.pj. to go on my bike rack, thanks.

Struggling to find the thread, what was the thread title (if you remember) please

p.s. i am looking for one, in plasteek, ok.pj. to go on my bike rack, thanks.
Try looking at garden storage boxes they will do what you want in plastic and cheap compared to vehicle specific styles or spend £250 on used fiamma ultrabox

Buy it thats a reasonable price , i have not purchased chequered plate in a long time ( which is measured above base, not the thichnes of the sheet) but you would need a 1250 x 2500 sheet then two stainless paddle locks £36 a couple of gas struts (tail gate for a car) £17 piano hinge £30 ? a half days labour mark out, cut, fold ,weld then assemble . I wouldn't be giving you any change from the £325 . ( i have a fabrication shop)

If you compare it with similar products sold by bunnings.com.au in Australia where these boxes are far more common you will see that it is quite a fair price. Currently 1.8 AUD = £1

If you read the spec it has water tight seals

all the plastic roof boxes ive seen , from halfords to thule rely on the lid overlapping the base, no actual water seal..... premium brand thule just appear to be a rebadged halfords budget box. same with roof bars.

Thanks for taking interest with regards to CoG, I am completely unsure how you arrived at those figures but they are reassuring, but it is already a tippy/top heavy camper. The track width of the L300 Delica is not very wide, so I am going to proceed with caution. I have contacted the manufacturer asking for the boxes weight.

sorry not best photo but the best I've got on the laptop. You can just make out the bottom of the red mud guards

Have you ever had your van weighed? These vans are very prone to overloading.

Hi, if it is of any help I bought a box from these guys to hang on a Bak rac towbar carrier and the quality is great as was the service, in my opinion and not being able to fabricate such an item myself I think my box was very good value.

Clive

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back