jab appointment

The scientists/medics are finding out more as we go down the time trajectory.

As a doctor with a Phd in BS, I offer the following for consideration... ;)😁:cool:

My take on the antibodies is why wouldn't they eventually go down to a low level after you've recovered from covid, or from any other virus for that matter?

I would speculate that antibodies only remain high while your body is still fighting the infection, and fade away as you recover?
Maybe it could turn out that there is a correlation between long-covid and the amount of antibodies on your system?

At first they were saying that antibodies didn't persist for very long after people contracted and recovered from covid, and that seemed to be some cause for concern. Don't know why it was a cause for concern, but it was chucked in as a throwaway line in various news reports over the last few months.

More recently there have been reports that in some instances the antibodies were lasting up to six months or more.
My friend, who has had serious long covid, strongly tested positive for antibodies 9 months after contracting the virus in January 2020.

Explain that one.... anyone? :unsure:🤷‍♀️

Anyway, the only thing I reckon we need to be bothered about is that the vaccines are shaping up to be:

a) pretty good at stopping onward transmission
b) pretty good at preventing serious illness and death, if you are unlucky enough to contract covid in the future.

That's more than sufficient good news for me not to lose any sleep over the matter(y)
David was still testing positive over a month after contracting the virus. To have immunotherapy he has to have another test in two weeks :eek: He's not had any jabs yet, waiting to find out from his oncologist when it will be best.

Good news for me. I get first jab on 16th March. Just hope that Susie is not far behind.
meannurse.jpg

I am sure she will be

Terry's post just reminded me, you couldn't ask for more kind and helpful treatment as I got from local Health Centre and 119.
I was last in at Health Centre, some of the 'jab crew' where already leaving, I was ushered in, made to feel welcome, no rushing to 'get home', everything calm and collected, and all explained fully.
When I got home and phoned 119 to cancel the previously made jabs, the operative made sure all was well and not just cancelling because I didn't want a jab, no rush, explain everything and making sure I knew to get second jab and a pleasant "hope everything works out and you get your operation on time".

It is 3 weeks today since the wife had her first AstraZeneca jab so she can party like mad and go wild in the ailses as they say 🤪

I however is 2 weeks behind with my first Pfizer jab so i`ll just sit in a socially distanced corner and watch the merriment unfold :(

Had our jabs Thursday, no problems at all. Really slick operation with lots of volunteers in the car park and in the Civic Hall. Only negative was some bloke ranting and raving about the amount of car parking space allocated to the vaccination programme. Poor mite had to walk an extra 200 yards.

Izzy told me to shut it before I said something to him, would have been silly of me anyway as he was in such a rage he looked likely to attack anyone who disagreed with him. His poor wife looked really embarrassed and was struggling to make him move on.
What a tosser.

I have the same problem as many others , there are many local places doing jabs but I can't get an appointment for any of the nearby ones.
Im near Carlisle North Cumbria , I have to go to Ulverston in South Cumbria 70 miles away and according to AA route planner is almost a two hour drive one way.
If I go the "faster" route M6 & A590 it's 90 miles and it is still 1hr 45mins one way.
This is bonkers when I know there are places in Carlisle, Penrith and Workington doing the jabs but none of those places are offered online or even phoning the booking line .

If you live within reasonable distance of a vaccination centre and you are in an eligible category, why wait for a GP letter? It's so simple and quick to go online (or phone) and book direct through SwiftQueue.
I've been volunteering at a mass vacc centre and jabs are handled in two streams, one for direct bookings and one for GP bookings (separate due to different funding mechanism). Direct side has large underused capacity so people waiting no more than 5 minutes, often much less, and is open for 12 hours every single day. GP side has queues out of the door, waiting time up to an hour!
Also worth bearing in mind is that traffic levels are still low, so journey times are vastly reduced.

If you live within reasonable distance of a vaccination centre and you are in an eligible category, why wait for a GP letter? It's so simple and quick to go online (or phone) and book direct through SwiftQueue.
I've been volunteering at a mass vacc centre and jabs are handled in two streams, one for direct bookings and one for GP bookings (separate due to different funding mechanism). Direct side has large underused capacity so people waiting no more than 5 minutes, often much less, and is open for 12 hours every single day. GP side has queues out of the door, waiting time up to an hour!
Also worth bearing in mind is that traffic levels are still low, so journey times are vastly reduced.

Very fair points, but not everyone lives within a reasonable distance of a vax centre (eg. Pedalman, 3-4 hour round trip!)

I don't know what the GP surgeries are like for the vaccinations where you live, but here there are no queues whatsoever and you are in and out in no time, exactly the same as at a vax centre.

The process is obviously not a 'one size fits all' and will very much depend on the facilities set up (or not!) around where you live in the country.

We got a phone call from the GP earlier in the week, and both given same appointment time 2pm Friday 26th at the local Hinckley leisure centre. All very efficient in and out in 10mins. Jab done by the regular practice nurse. Jab was AZ. No second date yet, the GP will call.
A few of my friends in Coventry (either side of 60) have not had a letter or a call but gone straight on the website and booked their jabs.
The website requires your NHS number and will tell you if you do not qualify yet. I don’t think this is que Jumping but it may be the letters and phone calls can’t keep up with the availability of the jabs ?

We got a phone call from the GP earlier in the week, and both given same appointment time 2pm Friday 26th at the local Hinckley leisure centre. All very efficient in and out in 10mins. Jab done by the regular practice nurse. Jab was AZ. No second date yet, the GP will call.
A few of my friends in Coventry (either side of 60) have not had a letter or a call but gone straight on the website and booked their jabs.
The website requires your NHS number and will tell you if you do not qualify yet. I don’t think this is que Jumping but it may be the letters and phone calls can’t keep up with the availability of the jabs ?

Definitely not queue jumping! (y)

They have been asking people in the relevant groups who haven't heard anything, or who have had the letter, but not been contacted by their GP subsequently, to come forward and book for themselves.

What you need to do is go to the National Booking Service at www.nhs.uk/covid-vaccination

OR - call 119 free of charge
OR - do what I did and ring your local GP and made your vaccination appointment with them instead of a local hub.

Anyone in this situation needs to get onto it straight away.

Even though I'd had my notification letter and it said I didn't have to do anything if I wanted jab at my GP surgery instead of at a bigger 'hub', when I hadn't been contacted a week later I phoned through to the local surgery.

It seems I had 'slipped through the net'.
I definitely won't have been the only one this has happened to, so well worth contacting them directly yourself (y)(y)

It seems like it has opened up for over 60's, three in the family booked up on website today with jabs next week, I suspect the letters are printed but not sent yet, similar to what happened to me.
BTW, I've not had any side effects at all from AZ, not even a sore arm, next morning I looked on arm and struggled to see where I think they injected me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back