jab appointment

Another thing to consider before heading abroad is the possibility of hotel quarantine on return should your destination be added to the “red list”. Bad enough if flying but if in a motorhome it may involve abandoning the vehicle as entry is only possible through one of five airports.

Exactly things too up and down at the moment. I would hate to get stuck in another land with a possible substantial quarantine hotel bill this UK end if it was the only way to get home.

Tim I genuinely wish you the best and contrary what a few on here feel Im not trying to put you off in any way or form.

atb with your plans

Mike
Another thing to consider before heading abroad is the possibility of hotel quarantine on return should your destination be added to the “red list”. Bad enough if flying but if in a motorhome it may involve abandoning the vehicle as entry is only possible through one of five airports.

Appreciate all the information but there is not a chance of me booking anything until more of the puzzle fits and I feel comfortable with it.

Does anyone KNOW if there is a reccomended time to wait after 2nd jab before flying abroad?
Perhaps some info given at time of 2nd jab. Can't find anything on web but maybe I'm asking it the wrong question.
My doctors surgery has an 'ask the receptionist' email for non important stuff which I have used and may take some time for them to reply, understandably.

And just recieved from the doctors surgery, much sooner than I thought.

Dear Tim, unfortunately I don't think we have that information yet. Maybe the travel agents may have a guideline but sorry, we don't have any more insight at this time. I suppose awaiting guidelines from the government re. when foreign travel will be restarted.

And just recieved from the doctors surgery, much sooner than I thought.

Dear Tim, unfortunately I don't think we have that information yet. Maybe the travel agents may have a guideline but sorry, we don't have any more insight at this time. I suppose awaiting guidelines from the government re. when foreign travel will be restarted.

well that is extremely helpful.

well that is extremely helpful.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, which I just have.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I should have phrased the question differently. Do you know how long after the second C19 vaccination will maxium protection be gained. Thanks again, Tim.

🤞🤞🤞

Well at the insistence of GF I phoned 119, and I'm booked in for jab, that will keep her happy as she's been worried that at our local hospital at one stage 20% of ICU patients caught CV-19 whilst in hospital! Apparently I've been listed as cohort 6. I guess this must be due to minor spleen and heart damage from already having CV-19, I might still have antibodies, but as it's coming up to 11months nobody can 100% guarantee that without a test, and the jabs cheaper than the test.

Had a further reply to my now amended question.

I would probably ask the clinician when you receive the jab. The trials for Pfizer jab talk of a 95% reduction one week after 2nd dose given but obviously early days with trials etc. Oxford vaccine may be different.

Fair point early days with trials.

Before I read this I was in Sainsburys which has an in house pharmacy. Nobody waiting so thought I'd ask the pharmacist.
Essentially he said vaccines are usually effective after two weeks but not really enough info on the Covid subject and suggested 2 - 3 weeks.
Interestingly he said he had Covid in October and was tested (don't know when) for antibodies and returned a low count.

And that is the end of todays lesson.

Had a further reply to my now amended question.

I would probably ask the clinician when you receive the jab. The trials for Pfizer jab talk of a 95% reduction one week after 2nd dose given but obviously early days with trials etc. Oxford vaccine may be different.

Fair point early days with trials.

Before I read this I was in Sainsburys which has an in house pharmacy. Nobody waiting so thought I'd ask the pharmacist.
Essentially he said vaccines are usually effective after two weeks but not really enough info on the Covid subject and suggested 2 - 3 weeks.
Interestingly he said he had Covid in October and was tested (don't know when) for antibodies and returned a low count.

And that is the end of todays lesson.

The scientists/medics are finding out more as we go down the time trajectory.

As a doctor with a Phd in BS, I offer the following for consideration... ;)😁:cool:

My take on the antibodies is why wouldn't they eventually go down to a low level after you've recovered from covid, or from any other virus for that matter?

I would speculate that antibodies only remain high while your body is still fighting the infection, and fade away as you recover?
Maybe it could turn out that there is a correlation between long-covid and the amount of antibodies on your system?

At first they were saying that antibodies didn't persist for very long after people contracted and recovered from covid, and that seemed to be some cause for concern. Don't know why it was a cause for concern, but it was chucked in as a throwaway line in various news reports over the last few months.

More recently there have been reports that in some instances the antibodies were lasting up to six months or more.
My friend, who has had serious long covid, strongly tested positive for antibodies 9 months after contracting the virus in January 2020.

Explain that one.... anyone? :unsure:🤷‍♀️

Anyway, the only thing I reckon we need to be bothered about is that the vaccines are shaping up to be:

a) pretty good at stopping onward transmission
b) pretty good at preventing serious illness and death, if you are unlucky enough to contract covid in the future.

That's more than sufficient good news for me not to lose any sleep over the matter(y)

Caz was you pfizered or oxforded? Strange no one reports feeling a prick some sort of conspiracy going on here I feel.My wife already jabbed with Oxford also told me she felt nothing. mmm what's going on? :rolleyes:

I was pfizered.

So far no side effects - but my daughter (works in healthcare) was quite poorly for a few days after her jab (also pfizer) so I wait with bated breath...............

I had mine on Sunday at a local chemists hub. I booked online and the next one is on May 9th booked at the same time. Still got a slight sore arm and I had dizzy legs for about 2 hours on Monday. I got Astrad 😬

I had mine on Sunday at a local chemists hub. I booked online and the next one is on May 9th booked at the same time. Still got a slight sore arm and I had dizzy legs for about 2 hours on Monday. I got Astrad 😬

Sorry to hear about your soreness,and dizziness.

Last edited:
10"00 am today for mine

You going to one of the large hubs or a small vaccination centre ?

People around here that are going to the large hubs are there for quite some time were as the smaller health centre places are in and out in no time apart from some having the Pfizer jab ( like i did ) being asked to wait 15 minutes before leaving.

Got a phone call from gp in UK asking if we had a problem making Dave's appointment for the jab....had a text weekly! Explained we will be back in May and have it then if not had it in Portugal, lovely chatty lady said she will mark our records.

You going to one of the large hubs or a small vaccination centre ?

People around here that are going to the large hubs are there for quite some time were as the smaller health centre places are in and out in no time apart from some having the Pfizer jab ( like i did ) being asked to wait 15 minutes before leaving.
It's a large hub graham called the pyramids at Bathgate

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back