Is it the death knell for the combustion engine?

izwozral

"New petrol and diesel cars banned from 2035. A ban on selling new petrol and diesel cars will be brought forward by five years to improve air quality, the prime minister will announce today. Boris Johnson will say that the sale of new combustion engine cars and vans will end in 2035 rather than 2040."

Don't panic, don't panic, no mention of MH's or vans or lorries.

That's alright then? :unsure:

I announced I would win the lottery this year but it’s a bit harder to achieve than talk about. Really we are talking about the ending of private car use for long distance, the idea of having a contract, as you do for a mobile phone, for electric town and short distance use and then longer distance by..... errr.... something else. We are going to need a lot of lithium or maybe the emergence of the fuel cell as a viable option. Let the politicians get the glory while the engineers do the work.

"New petrol and diesel cars banned from 2035. A ban on selling new petrol and diesel cars will be brought forward by five years to improve air quality, the prime minister will announce today. Boris Johnson will say that the sale of new combustion engine cars and vans will end in 2035 rather than 2040."

Vans are mentioned. Are coach built motorhomes built on a van chassis? And then there are the panel van conversions. So it seems nearly all new motorhomes from 2035 will be powered by something but not combustion engines.

I know what’s being stated is 2035 but the reason this was brought forward was the ultimate target is 2050 when it’s planned that no internal combustion cars and vans will be on the road. It was felt that 2040 would not have allowed enough time to eradicate internal combustion engines by 2050.
Let’s wait for the announcement and then deduce exactly what vehicles will be banned.

The last date to buy a new petrol, diesel or hybrid car in the UK will be brought forward from 2040 to 2035 at the latest, under government plans.
The change comes after experts said 2040 would be too late if the UK wants to achieve its target of emitting virtually zero carbon by 2050.
Boris Johnson will outline the policy later at an event to launch a United Nations climate summit in November.
He will say the summit is a chance to "step up" protecting the planet.
The summit, known as COP26, is being hosted in Glasgow. It is an annual UN-led gathering set up to assess progress on tackling climate change.
The government's plans come as COP26's former president Claire O’Neill, who was sacked on Friday, wrote a bitter letter accusing Mr Johnson of failing to support her work.
At a launch event in London the prime minister will say the ban could come even earlier than 2035 for new petrol and diesel cars, if possible.
Hybrid vehicles are also now being included in the proposals, which were originally announced in July 2017.
People will only be able to buy electric or hydrogen cars and vans, once the ban comes into effect.
The change in plans, which will be subject to a consultation, is being planned because experts warned the previous target date of 2040 would still leave old conventional cars on the roads after the clean-up date of 2050.

Hopefully its the end.

Its long overdue that a cleaner means of reliable, long distance, transport was available for all.

Battery capacity and longevity has been the problem but it seems that Tesla and others are finally getting to grips with that problem
and also looking at other forms of propulsion.

Dezi

Its like people who tow caravans, how will they do that with electric cars ?

Just when i was going to sell my scalectrix cars. :(I did warn you lot about this,france & others will be doing it in 2025 ,who will want you old van by then.

There are not enough electric points at the moment and how do they propose that people living in terraced houses charge their cars. Car parks are going to have to have electric charging points for each bay so who is going to pay for all this. I have already seen a cable across a pavement to an electric car. Read the other day that someone takes his car to the Council recharging point round the corner rather than use his own electric to charge up because the Council one is free.

So when petrol & diesel are banned, will there be electric vehicles available for £500?
This was the amount I had available when I bought my present run about. Trouble with new technology is gonna be the lack of cheap second hand motors. Not a problem if you buy a new one every year, but I have never had a new vehicle in my life. Most I ever paid for one was 2.5k
How will people like me be able to embrace this new "wonder" technology? As usual everybody is carried away with the "lets go green" thing & no thought for the bottom feeders like me.....😕

We have to change, and we have to start to think differently.
I am fully onboard here, but what about heating our homes.
There is as much CO2 produced from heating our homes as driving or cars and vans. Yet this seems to be on the back burner. But if we all start to use electricity to heat our homes instead of gas, where will all the power come from. These are the challenges that lie in front of us. But if we care about our children and grand children things have to change.

I agree with a previous point already made, we are being told we have to give up our transport & clean up our act while large companies continue to pollute the world at a much higher rate than us commoners ever did. Why aren't they being held to book? Probably doesn't matter if they pay the right people enough money, eh?......

It's a massive logistical and cultural worldwide problem.

BUT - the complacent world leviathan is finally starting to be prodded one way or another, let's see how fast it wakes up (or not).

If the Chinese can build a 1,000 bed hospital in 2 weeks, there has to be some hope for the future?
There will be problems right across the board regardless, too much on our planet has been damaged/lost already.

Me, I will just be quite happy to be compos mentis and walking around in 10 years time, diesel moho or no diesel moho.

Just pleased our latest van didn't cost us tens of thousands, so am perfectly content to run it into the ground, then wait see what happens after that - if I'm still alive, that is 😉 😜

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back