Insurance is a scam????

I think I'm going to go with Lexham again not the very cheapest, but their renewal is £40 cheaper than last year so why change AIB is only a broker so I could easily end up with the same underwriter anyway, what you pay is what the broker wants on top of the underwriters.

My quotes from Asda AIB didn't offer one if they are part of the group.
ins%20quotes%2022..JPG

Reactions: GMJ
I think I'm going to go with Lexham again not the very cheapest, but their renewal is £40 cheaper than last year so why change AIB is only a broker so I could easily end up with the same underwriter anyway, what you pay is what the broker wants on top of the underwriters.

My quotes from Asda AIB didn't offer one if they are part of the group.
ins%20quotes%2022..JPG

Do those quotes include Breakdown cover Kev as my premium is less than your cheapest quote and includes breakdown cover. Location might make a difference of course. Did you even ask AIB to quote?

Dunno, not got that far but I don't want it anyway, or legal, the renewal is less than any of the above quotes, not tried AIB this year but did the last twice and they were not competitive enough.

I'm not knocking AIB hence my asking the question earlier. I used to go with Flux but they started getting silly.

I was with Comfort for a number of years but then they became uncompetitive. Tbf to them as well, prior to the pandemic I changed my MH to unlimited miles but with the pandemic hitting we couldn't use it. I contacted them and they refunded the extra premium ...which I thought was rather good of them.
Comfort have as standard (assuming things haven't changed in last year or so) Business use, so if you use your motorhome like you might a car and are self-employed, Comforts price works out to be pretty good (some policies won't even allow that to added as an additional option).
When I decided I did not need that cover anymore, I did find AIB better value but it was a fairly close call if I recall.

I might give AIB a call anyway you never know they might offer to beat other quotes, do you think I should say I'm on Motorhomer, Wildcamping or Motorhome builder, I have facts and fun too, and also SBMCC which is actually a cub, not forgetting facts & owners but not C&CC etc or whatever initials they have now.

Nearly forgot I'm on out n about live too maybe I'll get 15% for each that'd be good.

I might give AIB a call anyway you never know they might offer to beat other quotes, do you think I should say I'm on Motorhomer, Wildcamping or Motorhome builder, I have facts and fun too, and also SBMCC which is actually a cub, not forgetting facts & owners but not C&CC etc or whatever initials they have now.

Nearly forgot I'm on out n about live too maybe I'll get 15% for each that'd be good.

You need to make sure you are getting like for like quotations. If you are unsure if those you quoted above include Breakdown cover and they dont they seem pricey to me. Yes mention your membership here or where ever but you wont get multiple discounts! :D Mine has gradually come down over years. I used to generally pay about £350 a year with Safeguard for insurance and breakdown but when they stopped insuring vans over 20 years Ive been with AIB ever since and its now the lowest its ever been at around £230 for both insurance and breakdown. I have used the breakdown service in France and it was excellent. They even paid the campsite fees when we were stuck over a French holiday weekend waiting for a local garage to open. Not had a claim with the insurance though so cant comment on that. I reckon most of the big motorhome insurers will be reputable though. You would hope.

Ref Legal Cover options, I have until recently used MEM Online .
I found them much better value compared to taking out the options on individual motor policies and worth while looking at. I have never had to make a claim myself, but a friend who I told about them took out a policy and shortly after needed to use their services and found them very good.
Only reason not using them now is the car and motorhome policies both come with "free" legal cover ("free" in that it cannot be deselected to reduce the price so may as well use it)

Well I rang them to test them out as I knew they would be too much for us, if we had a new van we might go with them as they do seem more geared to our needs, £429 no other covers, no 15% discount as I wanted to see what the full price would be, oddly they only asked if I was a member of any clubs which I am not as I've not subbed to SBMCC for a while, but fair do's I asked if forum membership counted and it dropped to £374 straight away, not quite 15% that would £365.65 but near enough.

What I didn't like and don't think it's true, he asked what quotes I'd had and when he couldn't beat it he said that Asda do not do motorhome insurance, no of course not they are a comparison site like confused.com then he told me that whoever I went with would only insure the base vehicle and I'd be lucky to get £8k, I do not believe this to be true.

So the discount is real, but the premium is too rich for us with no income.

And no I did not expect to get 15% for each forum that indeed would be great but a bit silly :D :D

You need to make sure you are getting like for like quotations. If you are unsure if those you quoted above include Breakdown cover and they dont they seem pricey to me. Yes mention your membership here or where ever but you wont get multiple discounts! :D Mine has gradually come down over years. I used to generally pay about £350 a year with Safeguard for insurance and breakdown but when they stopped insuring vans over 20 years Ive been with AIB ever since and its now the lowest its ever been at around £230 for both insurance and breakdown. I have used the breakdown service in France and it was excellent. They even paid the campsite fees when we were stuck over a French holiday weekend waiting for a local garage to open. Not had a claim with the insurance though so cant comment on that. I reckon most of the big motorhome insurers will be reputable though. You would hope.
I think they very likely provide very good insurance, but We have external breakdown cover and legal, don't need anything else, so long as it's 5 star defacto then I should get the same cover anywhere, that I think is the idea behind it, but I'm not an expert.

Mine was £330 bucks this year with breakdown cover, and value of van up by 4 grand to £12.000, very happy to pay.

I lost my NCB when a young chap drove his car through my locked gates. His car never touched my car.
It has been 5 years of paying more premiums through no fault of my own.
Any excuse for insurance companies to steal money from customers.
That’s strange, if it’s no fault then it shouldn’t count. A woman pulled out into the side of my car a few years ago into my almost new car. It shows as a no fault claim on both my car and van insurance but has never affected my premiums on either.

That’s strange, if it’s no fault then it shouldn’t count. A woman pulled out into the side of my car a few years ago into my almost new car. It shows as a no fault claim on both my car and van insurance but has never affected my premiums on either.
especially as it was a claim for repairs to gates, and nothing to do with a vehicle.

AIB man told me that the NCD made zero difference on motorhomes as they are leisure vehicles and don't raise or rate a discount or something, I couldn't quite catch what he said.

I went through AIB last time and the policy is with Aviva via VM insurance. Very convoluted. Breakdown is included from DAS Legal but, if I read the policy correctly, the UK cost limit for any one breakdown is only £300 (Europe is £5000). If I were a breakdown truck operator I don't think I would get out of bed for that amount. It only has a couple of months to run so I'll stick with it but I shan't be renewing through AIB.
I did insure with them a few years ago (different van) and I do find that they tend to gloss over the fine details, possibly in an effort to grab more business.

When we claimed a while ago for the truck running into us I was told it wasn't on the database so it was up to me if I told anyone, and also when some knob ran into our Audi whilst it was parked outside the house and we were away but was declared as parked on drive when we got the quote.

Scam really but mostly so you go for FC and they can sell you more stuff you don't need.

I was just wondering with the 15% discount how many were insured with AIB? any feed back on them? I'm due for renewal in two days.
im with AIB it cost £168 fully comp unlimited windscreen cover. no breakdown or legal cover though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back