Ian Blackford demands motorhome code of conduct after NC500 crashes

I have a code of conduct which demands I should never listen to anything Blackford says so will never get a chance to read it.
1693588746685.png

What you do is your decision, but sometimes it is better to monitor what people are doing rather than ignoring them.

mememe_b6752ca223194dcf98cb237e8f3c461f-1.jpg

What you do is your decision, but sometimes it is better to monitor what people are doing rather than ignoring them.
When everytime you hear someone, all that comes out their mouth is bigoted drivel, there comes a time when when you have to decide enough is enough - and if that means you end up missing the very very occasional worthwhile nugget, so be it.

Last edited:
It seems his answer to improved safety is more signs saying drive on the left, which must be aimed at visitors from outside UK, it then goes on about 'tourist tax' and restricting overnight sleeping.

I've not read the piece but from other sources know the following.
The groups of 10-15 Italian motorhomes "doing" the NC500 and not giving way to other road users have been causing chaos. Its the first year they are back after Covid. People are less tolerant than they used to be. Loads of foreign vans up there this year. Then there are all the hired vans. Petitions from the white settlers doing the rounds. Skye (Blackford's constituency) has had huge problems.

The other day on the approach to Braemar there were 3 German registered motorhomes parked in a layby. The first one pulled out right in front of the car in front of me and the other two followed on so we all had to stop. They then drove on to Braemar at never more than 25mph and for those that know the road it is impossible to overtake. Once at Braemar they were clearly looking for somewhere to park up which involved simply stopping on the main road. Is it any wonder that with behaviour like this people get a bit upset.

Come on you can always send me back to France to even things up. I drove right through the middle of a market in a wee village so close to the stalls they could have served me through the passenger window. I bet there’s not many on here that haven’t had a lapse of concentration when abroad and pulled out onto the wrong side of the rd. know I’ve done it. Think he’s on about putting up some signs to keep them and us safe no harm in that if it stops a few accidents.

I have a code of conduct which demands I should never listen to anything Blackford says so will never get a chance to read it.
Something needs done to stop people being killed and at least that man is doing something constructive.

Politics related to motorhomes is allowed, but let's keep this thread on track.

I think we have to acknowledge a problem with some motorhome owners and their etiquette. I don't think this problem is isolated to Scotland, but the transport infrastructure in Scotland makes this issue worse for its residents.

Although the comments do include other vehicles there is no doubt that we yet again are the main issue here. But I am trying to be fair minded here in commenting. There is no doubt that the NC 500 is a victim of its own success, but this success has devalued what was a wonderful journey prior to being named the NC 500. I have absolutely no interest in this route which now suffers from over use, and stupidity. Just what makes someone think they can get themselves into a large Motorhome, having previously only driven a car and drive such challenging roads eludes me. Then if we add the fact that these same people have little knowledge of how to operate everything within the vehicle it gets even worse. Then we further compound this stupidity by being unaware of the codes of practice that most on here apply when out and about it gets even worse.
Then we have the issue of large volumes of visitors from abroad, who are not prepared for our unpreparedness, and the attitudes of some who are living there it looks more and more like hell, not the heaven promised when this il conceived idea was first thought up. If only we did not put names on routes and left them as they were things would be a whole lot better. The NC 500 would still exist, but unnamed, and still offer the heaven that is now far removed.
My concern here is this debacle will lead to draconian measures for the whole of Scotland, not just the infamous NC 500, and that would not only be unnecessary, but a shame. I travel to many parts of my country were there are no problems whatsoever, quiet roads, friendly locals and contented travellers.
Sadly I think things do have to change up there, but not just in relation to us, but to everyone who uses this route.
As for Robin Pettigrews report looking for a total ban on us, well I think everyone on here knows what I think of that, I won’t go over old ground.

When people are dying on our roads, and others are behaving so badly that police intervention is required things have to change. It’s just a pity that one of the most wonderful parts of our island has been ruined like this.

Last edited:
Politics related to motorhomes is allowed, but let's keep this thread on track.

I think we have to acknowledge a problem with some motorhome owners and their etiquette. I don't think this problem is isolated to Scotland, but the transport infrastructure in Scotland makes this issue worse for its residents.
Phill I am just back from the LLLLLake DDDDDistrict .
I have never driven worse roads than some there.
Even as bad as some in Cornwall. (Possibly I got carried away there :))
Why build roads that are so narrow that even two motorbikes would have to slow down when passing, and with absolutely no passing places. Also narrow roads up here tend to carry little traffic, not so in many parts of England.
Don't get me wrong some of this was borne from my own stupidity with my sat nav. :mad: I have now changed what I do do with that.:(

But to be honest with a much smaller population, and normally much quieter roads, I much prefer driving up here than I do down south. In Scotland most narrow roads or single track, have plenty of passing places, they don’t in England. Also from a a pedestrian POV, Scotland provides more pavements than down south. I remember the walk vividly from the C&MC site in York to the large shopping area. For over a mile we had to walk a 60mph road, with no pavement.

The NC 500 writes its own story, and I don’t think it applies to any other part of Scotland, to anything like the same degree.

Although the comments do include other vehicles there is no doubt that we yet again are the main issue here. But I am trying to be fair minded here in commenting. There is no doubt that the NC 500 is a victim of its own success, but this success has devalued what was a wonderful journey prior to being named the NC 500. I have absolutely no interest in this route which now suffers from over use, and stupidity. Just what makes someone think they can get themselves into a large Motorhome, having previously only driven a car and drive such challenging roads eludes me. Then if we add the fact that these same people have little knowledge of how to operate everything within the vehicle it gets even worse. Then we further compound this stupidity by being unaware of the codes of practice that most on here apply when out and about it gets even worse.
Then we have the issue of large volumes of visitors from abroad, who are not prepared for our unpreparedness, and the attitudes of some who are living there it looks more and more like hell, not the heaven promised when this il conceived idea was first thought up. If only we did not put names on routes and left them as they were things would be a whole lot better. The NC 500 would still exist, but unnamed, and still offer the heaven that is now far removed.
My concern here is this debacle will lead to draconian measures for the whole of Scotland, not just the infamous NC 500, and that would not only be unnecessary, but a shame. I travel to many parts of my country were there are no problems whatsoever, quiet roads, friendly locals and contented travellers.
Sadly I think things do have to change up there, but not just in relation to us, but to everyone who uses this route.
As for Robin Pettigrews report looking for a total ban on us, well I think everyone on here knows what I think of that, I won’t go over old ground.

When people are dying on our roads, and others are behaving so badly that police intervention is required things have to change. It’s just a pity that one of the most wonderful parts of our island has been ruined like this.
The media may be trying to make motorhomes the main issue, the actual interview didn't

The media may be trying to make motorhomes the main issue, the actual interview didn't
I was quoting the article not the interview.
One part of the article talked of completely banning US.
Another of issuing us with a code of practice.
The public are far more influenced by such articles than what politicians say.

Two fb groups - The Land Weeps and The Dirty Truth - keep posting anti MH stuff. They blame us for all the mess left by tent campers and car drivers. The degree of venom towards MH visitors to the Highlands is unrelenting. The local press pick up on these posts and repeat the unfounded rubbish.

Phill I am just back from the LLLLLake DDDDDistrict .
I have never driven worse roads than some there.
Even as bad as some in Cornwall. (Possibly I got carried away there :))
Why build roads that are so narrow that even two motorbikes would have to slow down when passing, and with absolutely no passing places. Also narrow roads up here tend to carry little traffic, not so in many parts of England.
Don't get me wrong some of this was borne from my own stupidity with my sat nav. :mad: I have now changed what I do do with that.:(

But to be honest with a much smaller population, and normally much quieter roads, I much prefer driving up here than I do down south. In Scotland most narrow roads or single track, have plenty of passing places, they don’t in England. Also from a a pedestrian POV, Scotland provides more pavements than down south. I remember the walk vividly from the C&MC site in York to the large shopping area. For over a mile we had to walk a 60mph road, with no pavement.

The NC 500 writes its own story, and I don’t think it applies to any other part of Scotland, to anything like the same degree.

Haha. The Lake District (which is my home turf) has nothing on Devon! This is the "Road of Death" we had to negotiate a mile of to avoid roadworks near Salcombe for three weeks on the bike a few weeks ago. 🤣 One wheel on that swampy garden in the middle and your toast. 😁

Very few if any passing places. They are everywhere down here but maybe the difference with the NC 500 is there are more alternatives down here.

Two fb groups - The Land Weeps and The Dirty Truth - keep posting anti MH stuff. They blame us for all the mess left by tent campers and car drivers. The degree of venom towards MH visitors to the Highlands is unrelenting. The local press pick up on these posts and repeat the unfounded rubbish.

I'm a member of the Land weeps groups although I wish I wasn't. I have no intention of going there but I've tried to fight our corner as diplomatically as possible. It's a thoroughly depressing group. I wonder though just what percentage of the local population agrees with them.

Haha. The Lake District (which is my home turf) has nothing on Devon! This is the "Road of Death" we had to negotiate a mile of to avoid roadworks near Salcombe for three weeks on the bike a few weeks ago. 🤣 One wheel on that swampy garden in the middle and your toast. 😁

Very few if any passing places. They are everywhere down here but maybe the difference with the NC 500 is there are more alternatives down here.

You'll enjoy the road from Martinhoe to Valley of Rocks North Devon. :)

You'll enjoy the road from Martinhoe to Valley of Rocks North Devon. :)

Done it, several times earlier in the summer. It's so fabulous this epic trip is turning round just short of Bournemouth and heading back to Devon tomorrow.

I love exploring those little lanes on the scoot. It was an absolute hoot in the summer holidays but occasionally a bit bum twitching. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back