I quick app survey poll just one question.

The Location App will run on Apple devices with an IOS version of at least 9 in the Maxthon browser

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Admin

Administrator
Without using multiple mapping services with the app I cannot provide Streetview and offline mapping. Although offline mapping is not available I will research it if people are happy to give up Streetview and Google Maps. The offline service would be plan vector maps with no satellite imagery.

Offline mapping means you can use the app with an Internet connection. You will have to have enough storage space on your device to store the maps.
Vector maps look like this.

Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 09.56.36.png

FYI Google maps is not a free service when used in our app, Every map, map tile, search and Streetview request has to be paid for. I am not trying to cheap out.

Before someone says "let's have both" we don't have the resources for that.

I am also not going to debate this, I won't be posting in this thread again. The purpose of this thread is just to ask this one question.

Would you prefer Google Maps with Streetview or offline mapping with plan vector maps?

PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL DON"T JUST TYPE YOUR ANSWER IN THE THREAD.

This Survey will close in 7 days

Last edited:
Thanks for giving us a say phill. I would love offline mapping but not without street view. Also we should be doing more reports on the stopovers. I will be doing so, opinions are invaluable.

Google maps & street view on a Windows laptop please

Android app..whatever works

For off line a kml file for use with maps.me

PS just checked it seems maps.me is vector mapping
THat would suit me..
What I really like is to be able to import files into TomTom
But Map.me has navigation and works offline..so it maybe vector is best

Last edited:
Reactions: DnK
Tough choice, but went for Google maps as it will be used more often than offline maps. I assume the latest kml file available will continue to work with maps.me (after the migration) ? Hopefully dead spots will reduce with time.
Al

Offline vector is fine for me if it reduces the costs. Most folks will also have google or Apple maps or some other and can enter locations from the vector maps to get satellite and street view.
It doesn’t really matter to me but thought this may help those who find themselves somewhere without internet 👍

Offline vector is fine for me if it reduces the costs. Most folks will also have google or Apple maps or some other and can enter locations from the vector maps to get satellite and street view.
It doesn’t really matter to me but thought this may help those who find themselves somewhere without internet 👍

Yes, did think that too, it's not exactly hard to go check out street view/sat on google maps.

I think the issue is people tech abilities.

I think the issue is people tech abilities.
Yes The new/current location app is great
I can do the techie stuff but many just want the point and go and simplicity..and why not !
I note POI info will continue to be available for some time
So I and "techie others" can use POI files with SatNavs and Maps.me to have off-line data

Yes The new/current location app is great
I can do the techie stuff but many just want the point and go and simplicity..and why not !
I note POI info will continue to be available for some time
So I and "techie others" can use POI files with SatNavs and Maps.me to have off-line data
The announcement I made yesterday has now been removed. Something has changed so I am now reviewing the situation. The Sat Nav downloads will continue for wild camping spots until at least 2022. Some of the new categories will not have downloads, but as they don’t currently exist nobody has lost anything.

The announcement I made yesterday has now been removed. Something has changed so I am now reviewing the situation. The Sat Nav downloads will continue for wild camping spots until at least 2022. Some of the new categories will not have downloads, but as they don’t currently exist nobody has lost anything.
Thanks GREAT !
One vote off vector and on to Google it looks like Google is winning anyway !

Last edited:
When travelling, we use Maps.me with downloaded POI's. When planning a trip at home we make use of the internet with the website map to investigate some POIs in more detail (usually the ones for the journeys). As a system, it is perfect for us. If the choice we make to this poll compromises the likely future availability of off line downloads then we vote for off line vector option. Thanks!

Keith and Chris

Offline vector fine for me, running on a budget means I'm not prepared to sign up for a potentially expensive data package, that's why I use maps.me, I do pre plan at home on Wifi with Street view but often stay in areas that don't have data coverage.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back