I know it has been done before but it keeps nagging at me.

I know it has been done before but it keeps nagging at me. I wish we didn't call it wild camping, I don't think of it as camping at all; any more than I think of living in my house as camping.
Wild camping has a specific meaning, and it is not what we do. As you say, it isn't camping and it isn't wild.
I just call it "parking off-grid"
In the USA they call it "boondocking" but I've no idea of the derivation of that.
In New Zealand, they call it "freedom camping" but I think you need to be certified as self-contained. That way people in campervans who leave crap in the woods don't give motorhomes a bad name.
I know this upsets some people, but in my view, a motorhome is self-contained, a campervan isn't. There is a difference, and that is the difference.
Nothing to do with body shape or structure, size or price: it's down to toilet, washing and cooking facilities on board.

Wild camping has a specific meaning, and it is not what we do. As you say, it isn't camping and it isn't wild.
In the USA they call it "boondocking" but I've no idea of the derivation of that.
In New Zealand, they call it "freedom camping" but I think you need to be certified as self-contained. That way people in campervans who leave crap in the woods don't give motorhomes a bad name.
I know this upsets some people, but in my view, a motorhome is self-contained, a campervan isn't. There is a difference, and that is the difference.
Nothing to do with body shape or structure, size or price: it's down to toilet, washing and cooking facilities on board.

I think a campervan is any vehicle that is also manufactured and sold as a free loading area panel van, hence 'van'............but then I call my moho a camper cos 'motorhome' is too much of a mouthful and saying "I'm going away this weekend with my moho" will definately give the wrong impression :LOL:

Most campervans have a toilet and cooking facilities and their owners don’t crap in the woods. Just go to Corrie Na Ciste and watch the motorhomers trot behind the old ski centre or down towards the burn first thing in the morning and appear five minutes later a wee bit lighter. You can’t put all the blame on campervanners.

@Harry

Just tell them you are cooking crystal meth in your Delivery Service Vehicle and when you are totally off your box and need to lie down for a while, any body knocks, you just tell them you are carrying out Planetary Guardian Duties.

I am convinced they will understand.

If they don't, give them a Glasgow Kiss and bid them good night.

@Harry

Just tell them you are cooking crystal meth in your Delivery Service Vehicle and when you are totally off your box and need to lie down for a while, any body knocks, you just tell them you are carrying out Planetary Guardian Duties.

I am convinced they will understand.

If they don't, give them a Glasgow Kiss and bid them good night.

You didn’t work in the diplomatic service by any chance Izzy :)

How is a Campervan not self contained? I own a Mercedes La Strada at present based on a Van so a Campervan, and it has everything a Motorhome has apart from loads of space.We have a seperate toilet with its own washbasin with hot and cold water and a seperate shower all Cooking facilities Fridge Heating Hot Water drop down bed. Everything I had in my two recent Hymers. So Yes self contained.

not camping, not freeloading, not dumping, not causing any bother, not littering, not vandalising, not leaving dog £$%^, not playing loud music, not getting pissed and turning abusive, not ignoring locals feelings, not being inconsiderate, not actually asking for much, but getting all kinds crap directed towards us.

Steady on there! These are not new rules are they? Asking for a friend.

My log book says at top , iris bus but further down motorcaravan, so if it says no camping could i say its a bus and not camping, no one camps in a bus. 🤔

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back