I know it has been done before but it keeps nagging at me.

I started "Wild Camping" in my campervan over thirty years ago and that is what everyone called it then. When I opened this website seventeen years ago we all still called it "Wild Camping". It is a name not a literal description like so many things in our language.

But just to make this clear...

This website and the activity that it is focused on is "Wild Camping". I am not changing the name because some people want to take it as a literal description. If we did change the name then the new name for the activity would eventually get negative publicity and people would just want to change it again.

When I put my earlier reply I wasn't thinking about the name of the forum, sorry.
I don't think a change of name would do anything at all, except leave some of us a bit confused.
Stickers on rubbish bags a good idea, but it is very rare to stay somewhere where the bins are emptied on such a regular basis as Slapton Sands.
How about some new van stickers with a longer tag line saying something about leaving spots as or better than we find them?

Yes I agree and I don’t think the original poster suggested changing the name. He talked about changing the name of what we do, not this forum.
Name changing would make no difference whatsoever. Its how we are perceived that has to change not our name.

I started "Wild Camping" in my campervan over thirty years ago and that is what everyone called it then. When I opened this website seventeen years ago we all still called it "Wild Camping". It is a name not a literal description like so many things in our language.

But just to make this clear...

This website and the activity that it is focused on is "Wild Camping". I am not changing the name because some people want to take it as a literal description. If we did change the name then the new name for the activity would eventually get negative publicity and people would just want to change it again.
Plus us pensioners would get really confused we don’t even like it when they move things in the supermarket 😉😉

Yes Phil and Fisherman (very perceptive) what I want is a name that I can use for the activity that does not have so many bad connotations. I am not asking for the forum name to be changed I ask only that thinking caps are applied to the naming of the activity. I have tried and failed but there are many more poetic brains than mine out there. I look forward to hearing a beauty in the not too distant future.

In anticipation, Harry

Did Fife council not have a survey about freedom camping and how best to advance regarding using car parks in there area

Yes Phil and Fisherman (very perceptive) what I want is a name that I can use for the activity that does not have so many bad connotations. I am not asking for the forum name to be changed I ask only that thinking caps are applied to the naming of the activity. I have tried and failed but. there are many more poetic brains out there than mine so I look forward to hearing a beauty in the near future.

Harry

I don't see a problem. Where do you plan to use this name?

If online, then simply say 'I went motorhoming' instead of 'I went wildcamping' - sorted!

I don't see a problem. Where do you plan to use this name?

If online, then simply say 'I went motorhoming' instead of 'I went wildcamping' - sorted!

Yes Rob call it Ferrell camping instead.
Some of those that decide to ban us would have to consult their dictionaries :)
This conversation seems pointless. Call it what you like, its between you and who you are talking to at the time.

I like the idea of the stickers. I would go a step further and clag them on any signs in the car park, preferably over the bit that says "no ovenighting" 😬 "This area has been cleaned up by members of wildcamping.co.uk".

You cant change the name anyway. Its affectionately known as "The Wildies". It would then have to be the Freebees, or Off Gridies, which just sounds plain daft! Embrace the name!! Stop worrying about it.

not camping, not freeloading, not dumping, not causing any bother, not littering, not vandalising, not leaving dog £$%^, not playing loud music, not getting pissed and turning abusive, not ignoring locals feelings, not being inconsiderate, not actually asking for much, but getting all kinds crap directed towards us.

I am frequently asked if we stay on sites to which the answer might be no I wildcamp though freedom park is sounding more attractive (no there has to be a better one)

I am frequently asked if we stay on sites to which the answer might be no I wildcamp though freedom park is sounding more attractive (no there has to be a better one)

There doesn't really have to be a name for it, just say "No I camp in the countryside" or just "No".

Fisherman you are dead right again but none of this answers my query.

Ok Harry.

This is my advice call it as you see fit, and we will all do likewise.

Sorry but it’s really a non issue and for personal preference.

I know you did not want to change our name, just what we call what we do.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back