I know it has been done before but it keeps nagging at me.

Ah well I still don't feel comfortable and perceptions can get laws changed so we ought to watch it.

[...] and who cares what the yanks do, [...]
Well, you might. The Yanks call what we do, "boondocking" or "dry camping" -- both terms I suspect you might prefer to "wild camping". However, you're not going to change perceptions merely by renaming our activity in the face of moronic politicians seeking political gains from turning us into a fabricated common enemy: a 'menace' against which they can rally support under the guise of 'combatting'...
... just saying...

Call it wild camping, wild parking, freedom parking, anything you like and the bottom line is there is a bias against us.
What we call it makes no difference, what matters is how we behave, and how wee are perceived.
And unfortunately in this country no matter what we call it we will be treated by some like crap.
Yes Wild camping could be better named, but we will still face barriers and signs telling us to go elsewhere.

It’s time we had cheap wild camping.co.uk stickers that we can use when we clean up an area we can put the sticker on the black bin liner so they know who did the litter pick that might go some way to help put us in a better light.

It’s time we had cheap wild camping.co.uk stickers that we can use when we clean up an area we can put the sticker on the black bin liner so they know who did the litter pick that might go some way to help put us in a better light.

I like the idea but then wonder if the ill informed will think 'cheeky gits, leaving there rubbish behind'?

I know I irritate some on here with my posts on how we are treated, and if I do irritate you I do apologise.
The fact is this site is littered with posts showing concern for locals when someone behaves poorly.
Just look at the posts after we read that someone dumped their toilet waste in a hedge.
All posts from decent folk who care, the vast majority of us.
Yes we have muppets within us, but there are dog walkers who never pick up their dogs crap, people who leave litter,
vandalise furniture, boy racers who think the local carpark is Brands Hatch. And if any of them were banned there would be public outcry.

Rant over.

Check the Wild and Wombling Facebook page. Motorhomers who actively collect rubbish from areas that stay in then inform the relevant authorities. Even so it is an uphill struggle, in France there is a feeling of “this land is your land” and unless it specifically says you cannot do something then generally you are relied upon to act responsibly. Unfortunately here it is more a case of “get off my land freeloaders”.

Yes it only needs to say

This area was litter picked by members of
Wild camping .co.uk
I think if you are doing a litter pick then leaving it there in a black bag it’s kinda defeating the purpose? Bag it and bin it would be a better idea.
Just sayin🤷‍♂️

I think if you are doing a litter pick them leaving it there in a black bag it’s kinda defeating the purpose? Bag it and bin it would be a better idea.
Yes I understand that but there are places it will work Slapton Sands for example in season the bins are emptied twice a day so I did leave the bag that I had picked up off the carpark at the side of the full and overflowing bin because I knew it would be removed that day and yes if there isn’t a bin I would take it home I am only trying to think of ways to put us in a better light.

Yes I understand that but there are places it will work Slapton Sands for example in season the bins are emptied twice a day so I did leave the bag at the side of the full and overflowing bin because I knew it would be removed that day and yes if there isn’t a bin I would take it home I am only trying to think of ways to put us in a better light.

I also think stickers on the van such as 'Leave only footprints...' would help.

Destructive and polluting activities does occur by campervan and moho owners as well. Responsible tent wildcampers will be just as upset by the behaviour of the minority as our community is. Wildcamping has a bad rep at the moment and we can only do our part as individuals to improve it.

Excellent post Tookey.
We hate being tarred with the same brush, so let's not do the same too others.

When I put my earlier reply I wasn't thinking about the name of the forum, sorry.
I don't think a change of name would do anything at all, except leave some of us a bit confused.
Stickers on rubbish bags a good idea, but it is very rare to stay somewhere where the bins are emptied on such a regular basis as Slapton Sands.
How about some new van stickers with a longer tag line saying something about leaving spots as or better than we find them?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back