how much!

rugbyken

the headlight on my hymer had a little impact mark where obviously a stone had come up & hit it they are fancy cats eyes style so i thought that’s gonna hurt £3/500 or so got the quote back from travelworld l!!! **** it’s only a piece of tempered glass stuck on with double sided tape but oh no got to buy the whole unit, the modern ones apparently are polycarbonate ,
118EF9B4-2348-4271-A7EB-3EF8975EFD4F.jpeg
DF515E4E-F375-4B29-B0BD-8588103F69ED.jpeg
! luckily my insurers saga have accepted it as a claim ,

Last edited by a moderator:
The price of headlights and potential cost of windscreen replacement nearly put me off a Hymer A class, but we bit the bullet anyway. Had a windscreen replaced which was about €2200 back in 2017.
I am sure you are aware of the debate regarding the shattering of headlamp glass. Hella and Hymer claim stone chips damage the lens and refuse claims of bad design. Owners blame A few potential causes. 1. Hot daylight running lights ( I changed mine to LEDs) 2. Distortion of the unit which has 2 standard bolts, but the third is a three part bolt which can stress the unit if not set correctly. I also changed the headlight bulbs to led.
I have had polycarbonate shields made by a local sign maker, who working off my template, produced a set of 2 covers for £18. These are held in place by suckers and cable ties for extra security.
There is lots of info on this issue on the hymer owners group Facebook page (sadly they don’t have a proper forum). You need to request a join, but there is some good info on the group along with loads of dross and wrong advice, but on balance it is helpful.

You may wish to review the photo you put up as there is a lot of personal info shown.

Davy

5C84B250-50BE-4909-A00C-FB30E439EE15.jpeg
BC0EC888-8F52-40F3-9759-6E17BC17A613.jpeg

Id make a GRP cover and fit lights from some other veh through it, anyone paying that needs to see a shrink. 😂

gwaygway on here used to make replacement covers & he told me about the stressing issue and i eased off the offending adjustment but in this case there as a definite impact point when i first noticed it later the whole glass crazed , i am a member on the facebook group hog‘s and have read about the protective shields & thought i’m all right now i’ve done the destressing ! expensive lesson, as you say much discussion about design faults etc significant that later designs are polycarbonate and it’s also the fact that you have to renew the whole unit when the glass part is just secured with double sided tape if it was possible to get that it would take about 30 mins to replace

Take the lamp out and remove the lens, then get a sheet of poly glass, cut it to shape then bend and bond on, not rocket science.

the headlight on my hymer had a little impact mark where obviously a stone had come up & hit it they are fancy cats eyes style so i thought that’s gonna hurt £3/500 or so got the quote back from travelworld l!!! **** it’s only a piece of tempered glass stuck on with double sided tape but oh no got to buy the whole unit, the modern ones apparently are polycarbonate , View attachment 114122View attachment 114122View attachment 114123View attachment 114124! luckily my insurers saga have accepted it as a claim ,
That is known as "Extracting the Urine"

I took the precautions that I listed in my previous post. The bulb holders for the DRLs were discoloured brown with heat, so this seemed like a potential cause. Adjusted the bolts holding the unit, and had the polycarbonate protectors made as a defence against stone chip to try and cover all eventualities. Even the new windscreen has a few tiny chips in it. Quite a few of the reported crazing of headlamp units seemed to occur when the vehicle was parked. My first windscreen was a victim of this scenario. There were lots of cases of the windscreen cracking due to stress.
Anyway, onwards and upwards. I will be interested to hear if your insurance company raise your premium over the next few years.

Trev,
there is (or was) a guy on the Hymer Facebook group who offered to replace the crazed lens which is just plain polycarbonate without any refractive moulds. So repairs seem to be feasible.

Davy

Did you mean to tell the world and his brother your home address 😂😂 he scroates now know where you live and when your away.😱

Try Knowe Park in Livingstone, they were half the price of Travel World when I bought a new alloy curtain track and they will post stuff to you or you can have a nice trip up to Scotland :unsure:

Regards,
Del

Thanks Ken - we all have your name, address, mobile number and vehicle reg number now :D

You might want to change it in your OP...

The price of headlights and potential cost of windscreen replacement nearly put me off a Hymer A class, but we bit the bullet anyway. Had a windscreen replaced which was about €2200 back in 2017.
I am sure you are aware of the debate regarding the shattering of headlamp glass. Hella and Hymer claim stone chips damage the lens and refuse claims of bad design. Owners blame A few potential causes. 1. Hot daylight running lights ( I changed mine to LEDs) 2. Distortion of the unit which has 2 standard bolts, but the third is a three part bolt which can stress the unit if not set correctly. I also changed the headlight bulbs to led.
I have had polycarbonate shields made by a local sign maker, who working off my template, produced a set of 2 covers for £18. These are held in place by suckers and cable ties for extra security.
There is lots of info on this issue on the hymer owners group Facebook page (sadly they don’t have a proper forum). You need to request a join, but there is some good info on the group along with loads of dross and wrong advice, but on balance it is helpful.

You may wish to review the photo you put up as there is a lot of personal info shown.

Davy

View attachment 114127View attachment 114128
Where did you find a LED headlight replacement? Been looking.

Or is just main beam bulb?

It was simply the bulbs that I swopped, both daylight running and main beam. I buy from autobulbsdirect.co.uk they do a brand called twenty20 which are canbus compliant although I don’t know if this feature was necessary. I bought canbus compliant just to be sure.

These were fitted by me around 2017 so I cannot recall the exact bulb spec. I can check if you wish but it is just possible your van uses different bulb models.

My van passes the mot with the led headlight bulbs in place and the lens protectors fitted.

Davy

It was simply the bulbs that I swopped, both daylight running and main beam. I buy from autobulbsdirect.co.uk they do a brand called twenty20 which are canbus compliant although I don’t know if this feature was necessary. I bought canbus compliant just to be sure.

These were fitted by me around 2017 so I cannot recall the exact bulb spec. I can check if you wish but it is just possible your van uses different bulb models.

My van passes the mot with the led headlight bulbs in place and the lens protectors fitted.

Davy

I was told once when I looked at getting LED headlights that they were illegal unless factory fitted but never had it confirmed.

I'll contact Autobulbs direct and see if I can get some for mine thanks.

I was told once when I looked at getting LED headlights that they were illegal unless factory fitted but never had it confirmed.

I'll contact Autobulbs direct and see if I can get some for mine thanks.

Check the "Techy Stuff" in the description of each bulb on Autobulbs site. I've yet to find an LED headlight replacement that is E/Marked Road Legal or doesn't say something like "for off road use".

Fine if you have separate bulbs for main and dip beam, H7's etc. No one will care if the main beam is illegal, different matter for dip beam.

A mate uses Phillips LED bulbs in his Iveco and just passed MOT. Was done at a ministry place as 7.2 tonne, the MOT guys noticed, pointed it out to him but passed the van as beam was in permitted beam pattern.

I have tried many led h lamp bulbs and not one worth a flying fart, they dont dip properly but mainly just dim which is no good, all my other bulbs except the winkies are led, but twice it failed the MOT cause they said to bright on the tail lights, so had to fit old 207 bulbs to I got here through, then changed back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back