How do you get on without a garage?

Moped

For some reason the rear lounge layout is popular with U.K. motorhome buyers but the garage is sacrificed for this.

In my mind a garage is essential if you have extended 3 month trips in your motorhome.

It seems that every European manufacturer includes a garage at the back but not so if you are looking to buy a U.K. manufactured motorhome. Only a few have rear garages and even then many are on the small side. Very few offer full sized continental type garages.

So a question for those who haven’t got a rear garage. How do you manage?

With just the 2 of us and the dog a couple of months in the eu has been ok with the under bed storage , it has access from the outside.
Our last motorhome had a large garage that still wasn't big enough when taking the grandchildren with us for the school break in europe.
We dont take bikes, surfboards or canoes with us.

For some reason the rear lounge layout is popular with U.K. motorhome buyers but the garage is sacrificed for this.

In my mind a garage is essential if you have extended 3 month trips in your motorhome.

It seems that every European manufacturer includes a garage at the back but not so if you are looking to buy a U.K. manufactured motorhome. Only a few have rear garages and even then many are on the small side. Very few offer full sized continental type garages.

So a question for those who haven’t got a rear garage. How do you manage?
We have a Burstner Ixeo IT590 that has a broom cupboard, rather than a full width garage. We manage 90 day trips [or a wee bit longer, thanks to Elaine's Irish Passport] by packing very carefully before resorting to the hooligan approach of stuffing kit into the broom cupboard, slamming the door, and waiting 20 minutes before repeating the exercise ... It is feasible, and it's comfortable, albeit quite tight for space. Bikes on the Rack, collapsible buckets, bowls etc; and, at the end of each trip, an analysis of what did and didn't work, and revise kit and Van systems for the next trip. Slow Cooker will be left at home if we get away to Spain this Winter, and some of the 'Justin Case', my alter ego, tools and spares will be weeded out

Steve

We don't have a garage and manage to fit everything in the MoHo.
We have a lot of space under the fixed bed which can be accessed from both inside and outside.

However, I do have a large box trailer which I use if we are taking our grandson and require three bikes.
(The trailer is used for the bikes, not the grandson!)

I have a rear bathroom/shower that takes 2/3 of the rear so no full width garage for my German van. I do have a high rear locker that goes in 1/3 of the width of the van that can hold masses, plus a full width ski(??) locker, belly lockers and a big storage space under the bed that has outside access.

Realistically I can’t use the storage that I have, even when it was plated at 4t I could overload it without trying, now it’s at 3.5t I have lots of empty space inside and out lol. Don’t know why I haven’t taken the bike rack off as I only use that if I need extra clothes drying space lol

We have the same van as @marchie, the broom/ski cupboard also has shelves that fold down and that's how we use it. We have light plastic drawer units in there and store folded clothes. We manage fine without the garage, we do have a back box though and store our camping chairs in that.

Then it's just about being disciplined and not taking things we don't need, or being clever with multipurposing things (you can do a lot of repairs with dental floss for example) or using miniature sizes of things. The little juice 33cl bottles are great for storing salt, sugar, flour. Shampoo and shower gel is decanted into small containers and I can make a travel size bottle of shampoo last two and a bit months, just by using a tiny amount at a time.

Not done 3month trips, but have done 4/5 weeks. Manage fine but do have bit of space under bed which is accessible from both inside and outside, for camping seats etc.
Many do very long trips in VW's, Land Rovers etc and smaller.

Haven't sorted a decent bike rack yet, but will do soon. Panel van, and use rear doors, so bit of a pain.
If I needed more room, I'd go for a trailer, can't stand driving things with a shed load of weight way past rear axle.

Not done 3month trips, but have done 4/5 weeks. Manage fine but do have bit of space under bed which is accessible from both inside and outside, for camping seats etc.

Haven't sorted a decent bike rack yet, but will do soon. Panel van, and use rear doors, so bit of a pain.
If I needed more room, I'd go for a trailer, can't stand driving things with a shed load of weight way past rear axle.
There are bike racks designed for panel vans that tilt out of the way permitting the rear doors to be opened.

The good thing about a large rear garage is you can carry a lot of stuff.
The bad thing about a large rear garage is you can carry a lot of stuff.
Depending on your needs they can be a good or bad thing.
We carry all the outdoor living and cooking gear in ours including a pop up Quest gazebo. Used when we are pitched up on a site. It sits nicely under the wind out canopy. We also carry the 2 folding ebikes in it so don't require a bike rack. Out of sight etc. For us essential for to cover all bases.

We like the option of using the motorhome for touring or for using it caravan style if we are in a location we like and have an extended stay on a cheap site.

With just the 2 of us and the dog a couple of months in the eu has been ok with the under bed storage , it has access from the outside.
Our last motorhome had a large garage that still wasn't big enough when taking the grandchildren with us for the school break in europe.
We dont take bikes, surfboards or canoes with us.
Just me and the dog under bed fine .
Also don't take aforementioned or air fryers , hair dryers , Hoovers , smoovers , BBQs and bikes ,

We have the same van as @marchie, the broom/ski cupboard also has shelves that fold down and that's how we use it. We have light plastic drawer units in there and store folded clothes. We manage fine without the garage, we do have a back box though and store our camping chairs in that.

Then it's just about being disciplined and not taking things we don't need, or being clever with multipurposing things (you can do a lot of repairs with dental floss for example) or using miniature sizes of things. The little juice 33cl bottles are great for storing salt, sugar, flour. Shampoo and shower gel is decanted into small containers and I can make a travel size bottle of shampoo last two and a bit months, just by using a tiny amount at a time.
And the toilet rolls [unused ...] stored in the bathroom are ideal for holding toothpaste, deoderant etc in the cardboard centres, Jo!

Steve

We often have been away 3 months.
Our garage is small height ( 3 ft )and half the rear bed in area, has only the bits and bobs;

IMPORTANT ITEMS
3 × chairs and table.
Beach Mats
Hose pipe, x2, long and short.
Spanner set.
Spare Oil
Toilet additive.

LESS IMPORTANT
Clutch - still sealed in box. (Just in case)
Fuel - 5L Diesel
Spare TV Aerial
Odd plastic bungees.
Old cleaning clothes.

Inside vehicle beside drivers seat stock Spare parts; Front lower arm bush, rear axle bearing, wipers. Ancillary and CAM Belts.

We purposely bought one with a garage, it was needed for Linda's mobility scooter, it also comes in handy for the chairs especially in mixed weather, when you can pop them in the dry overnight.
Now I've had one it would be high on the list if I was to change vans.

Only the ‘AteraStrada’ rack will fit the bill, it doesn’t tilt it slides on rails to allow both doors to open provided your towbar is low enough

I have a rear bathroom/shower that takes 2/3 of the rear so no full width garage for my German van. I do have a high rear locker that goes in 1/3 of the width of the van that can hold masses, plus a full width ski(??) locker, belly lockers and a big storage space under the bed that has outside access.

Realistically I can’t use the storage that I have, even when it was plated at 4t I could overload it without trying, now it’s at 3.5t I have lots of empty space inside and out lol. Don’t know why I haven’t taken the bike rack off as I only use that if I need extra clothes drying space lol
I really like the idea of the very expensive and massively over engineered Fiamma cloths line :)

Only the ‘AteraStrada’ rack will fit the bill, it doesn’t tilt it slides on rails to allow both doors to open provided your towbar is low enough
Or the colinm hinge out rack that allows the use of all trailers when folded, or long drawbar trailers when loaded.

We often have been away 3 months.
Our garage is small height ( 3 ft )and half the rear bed in area, has only the bits and bobs;

IMPORTANT ITEMS
3 × chairs and table.
Beach Mats
Hose pipe, x2, long and short.
Spanner set.
Spare Oil
Toilet additive.

LESS IMPORTANT
Clutch - still sealed in box. (Just in case)
Fuel - 5L Diesel
Spare TV Aerial
Odd plastic bungees.
Old cleaning clothes.

Inside vehicle beside drivers seat stock Spare parts; Front lower arm bush, rear axle bearing, wipers. Ancillary and CAM Belts.
Where do you keep the trolley jack, engine hoist and full set of Snap On kit?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back