Home made composting toilet

We appear to be at cross purposes, I'm talking about Thetford loos and you're talking about Portapottis which are quite different I think, but I doubt there are many Thetford loos around at 14 years old that have not at least had a new seal as they leak like hell if you drive on rough roads after a while and if they are quite full, I fit a new seal at least once a year even though I have the correct Thetford lubricant, and after 11 vans and all had the same problem I'm not impressed.
I'm talking about both, but I am also bored with this whole topic.

Mini Separating Toilet by Kayley Miles

Kayley says…
“This might help someone knock up a tiny and relatively cheap toilet. We have one in the boat already, this is for an equally tiny campervan, and will mostly be used for short weekend trips.

I couldn't find one this small and portable on the market. This setup was less than the cost of a separator.

I got the 15.5L toilet bucket for £13 on ebay but it appears to have sold out now. The same bucket is available on amazon.

The 13cm funnel is also from amazon. I've added a screenshot of the exact one.

Both the 1L bottles and 2.5L plastic tub are from H&O plastics https://buybuckets.co.uk/product/1l-light-weight-jerry-cans-with-cap/

The bottles and bucket fit perfectly. To secure the funnel and stop it wobbling about I found a cap that would fit the bottle (from a vitamin bottle in this instance) and drilled a hole to match the funnel.

The toilet roll/ sawdust holder was a bucket I initially planned to use for solids, but was too big. At least I found a use for it!”

*Vickys note: the small rectangular bucket is relatively expensive when you factor in postage and I can’t find them anywhere else at the moment, the 1litre liquid bottles are easy to find on eBay. The containers really are quite small.
View attachment 108513View attachment 108514View attachment 108515View attachment 108516View attachment 108517View attachment 108518
Great idea. We have a very similar loo bucket and were trying to think how to do the diverter. We have made a much rougher version before for the little kangoo and found coconut coir was the thing that made the difference as it is so massively absorbing. Still needed the diverter though. Will be following the diverter set up guide though now we have a loo bucket.

Ps I’m now seriously thinking of ripping the whole toilet out and starting again
Paul says cheers Annie 😂
I have for some time. We have a Thetford (it's not a proper toilet) and have just been waiting for a thread like this.

The Simploo looks very neat, as a pre-made alternative and my correspondence with then has been pleasing.

I have for some time. We have a Thetford (it's not a proper toilet) and have just been waiting for a thread like this.

The Simploo looks very neat, as a pre-made alternative and my correspondence with then has been pleasing.

I will take a look thanks 👍

The nice things for me about the simploo are..
The sleek easy to keep clean design
The built in solids cover
Reasonable cost
Compact design
AND the fact that the firm appear to be very helpful...
There ARE some funky designs out there from the likes of Strumpet and Trollop etc BUT lack some of the nice features of the simploo...

This thread has made my mind up. Looked into these loo's when doing the van, but for some reason went for a Thetford, anyway, thats going now.
Going to have to be the Strumpet and Dollop Little Angel for me.
Would have gone for Simploo but 25mm too tall.

This thread has made my mind up. Looked into these loo's when doing the van, but for some reason went for a Thetford, anyway, thats going now.
Going to have to be the Strumpet and Dollop Little Angel for me.
Would have gone for Simploo but 25mm too tall.

Keep us posted on how you get on with it please .. you don’t have to be too graphic 😂

Recently splashed out on a SOG system, could easily have made a diy system at a fraction of the cost but still worth the money as no longer need chemicals and now no smells at all. Never did find a chemical that did the job properly and certainly not a “green” one. Urine breaks down the solids including ordinary toilet paper

Recently splashed out on a SOG system, could easily have made a diy system at a fraction of the cost but still worth the money as no longer need chemicals and now no smells at all. Never did find a chemical that did the job properly and certainly not a “green” one. Urine breaks down the solids including ordinary toilet paper
I have seen comments from folk who end up parking next to a SOG-fitted camper and they don't seem to agree with the "no smells at all" idea! I don't know if it is down to the installation or is just basically transferring any odours from one place to another?

Haven't popped onto WC for a few weeks, and what fun to find a toilet thread on my return! I looked into composting loos for the "Dunny with a View" that we are planning in the back garden but ended up planning a rainwater flush (with a mains water back-up) and waste piped to the septic tank as being easier.
I confess that we like the comfort and convenience of the Thetford in the van, but we find it limiting on the capacity side. With our last van we carried a spare cassette but we don't have a big locker now.
What I'm interested in is the compostable doggy bags for solids half-way system, to keep us going for a few more days. Would anyone care to enlighten me on the actual mechanics of this one?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back