Home made composting toilet

And pictures of full operation may help, LOL.

animated-toilet-image-0035.gif

if "proper" toilets were only being invented now theyed be laughed at. we in western society take a small quantity of a waste product , thats actually an organic fertiliser, and add gallons of expensive purified drinking water creating gallons of pollutant that has to be transported and treated and ends up all too often polluting river and seashore.

if "proper" toilets were only being invented now theyed be laughed at. we in western society take a small quantity of a waste product , thats actually an organic fertiliser, and add gallons of expensive purified drinking water creating gallons of pollutant that has to be transported and treated and ends up all too often polluting river and seashore.
Actually put far far better than I could've managed....

I remember a we country pub here where there was only a half pipe in cement going out to a burn/small river, there was no contraption for n 2 loo so cycle clips were the order of the day to you got home or found a qt spot to drop and run.

The clue to my reply (posted below) is "IMO" - In My Opinion, that means. So if other disagree, not a problem and that's ITO (In Their Opinion).

That's the idea of Forums .... sharing information and OPINIONS.
IF that's aimed at my comment.... Which I'm pretty sure it IS....
I'd fight tooth and nail to defend people's 'opinions' etc....

I was merely puzzled at the 'Proper toilet' comment...
Referring to the usual motorhome device fitted....
Unless you have a 'Proper' porcelain edifice with a cistern flush and direct connection to a victorian sewer system.

I personally love the idea of not using expensively (both monetary wise as well as ecological wise) treated water to wash away a waste product that is actually easily dealable with by much less intensive means....

IMO obviously.

Quite a few people seemed to take exception to my comment about having a "proper" toilet.

What I consider being a "proper" toilet is nothing to do with how the waste is disposed of once deposited, it would be a toilet where you don't have to literally stir your **** after going but have a flush. E.G. a "WC" or Water Closet. THAT is what I would consider a "proper" toilet.
Thankfully times have moved on from the "bucket & chuck it" method of camping ablutions.
Personally speaking I don't actually have much issue with the occasional toilet cassette emptying (although the Automatic system I used one last year at a site was quite handy), so connecting to a Victorian sewer system is an irrelevance.

Quite a few people seemed to take exception to my comment about having a "proper" toilet.

What I consider being a "proper" toilet is nothing to do with how the waste is disposed of once deposited, it would be a toilet where you don't have to literally stir your **** after going but have a flush. E.G. a "WC" or Water Closet. THAT is what I would consider a "proper" toilet.
Thankfully times have moved on from the "bucket & chuck it" method of camping ablutions.
Personally speaking I don't actually have much issue with the occasional toilet cassette emptying (although the Automatic system I used one last year at a site was quite handy), so connecting to a Victorian sewer system is an irrelevance.
I didn’t take exception I just could not understand the point of your post as my original post was clearly aimed at members with smaller vans that don’t have room for the fancy plastic bathroom and I thought it was a great idea for people on a budget.

I didn't have a bathroom in anyone of my campervans. I elected to have a portapotti that came out of a cupboard and which, apart from being lower than the typically fitted Thetford MH toilet, operated in the same "conventional" way with a flush,etc.
Cost wise it was no more expensive to get than the cat litter type of toilet. As I said, I was experessing my opinion about what I would prefer, and not dismissing other options for other people.
I do appreciate there are advantages to those separation non-water toilets, and I have looked into them in the past a few times but for me, I decided no thanks.

Reading this , and other 'technical' threads , makes me feel guilty that I don't take motorhoming very seriously .
Make sure everything is full (or empty) , couple of IKEA bags of clothes etc , dog and off .
North or South decision is about my only preparation .
Not a criticism but these toilets seem a real faff to me .
Do people install them at home as well ?

Reading this , and other 'technical' threads , makes me feel guilty that I don't take motorhoming very seriously .
Make sure everything is full (or empty) , couple of IKEA bags of clothes etc , dog and off .
North or South decision is about my only preparation .
Not a criticism but these toilets seem a real faff to me .
Do people install them at home as well ?
True 'composting' toilets are pretty widely used by folks (especially those that have the space to fully compost....)
Though most probably use them as a more correctly titled 'Dry toilet' and bag and bin the waste....
There are quite a few narrowboat owners using them and at least one firm that will accept dry waste from users and compost it on a semi commercial basis....

Most folks that cannot see the point of them or think it's a unclean and pfaffy process, have usually either never used one OR have used a poorly designed/maintained version.....

A Well designed dry/compost toilet is frankly a pleasure to use (especially over the usual caravan/motorhome cassette type)
And much easier to keep clean and sanitary and is frankly a whole heap friendlier to the planet....

Obviously IMHO ;-)

But you don't, it's plastic, it is too small even for my not large behind, it's a PITA to keep it properly clean, the cassette is just bloody awful to mess with empty or clean, fills up too quickly, it is a crap invention TBH.

I think you're supposed to ask someone else "Does my bum look big in this?" :ROFLMAO::cool:

How do you know you have a small *rse?! :unsure:

Size is all relative, dontcha know... ;) 😁😜 😘

True 'composting' toilets are pretty widely used by folks (especially those that have the space to fully compost....)
Though most probably use them as a more correctly titled 'Dry toilet' and bag and bin the waste....
There are quite a few narrowboat owners using them and at least one firm that will accept dry waste from users and compost it on a semi commercial basis....

Most folks that cannot see the point of them or think it's a unclean and pfaffy process, have usually either never used one OR have used a poorly designed/maintained version.....

A Well designed dry/compost toilet is frankly a pleasure to use (especially over the usual caravan/motorhome cassette type)
And much easier to keep clean and sanitary and is frankly a whole heap friendlier to the planet....

Obviously IMHO ;-)
Certainly in the 'never used' category . So , obviously , not qualified to comment too much
But I find the cassette toilet easy to use .
Friendlier to the planet purely because of use of water ?

Certainly in the 'never used' category . So , obviously , not qualified to comment too much
But I find the cassette toilet easy to use .
Friendlier to the planet purely because of use of water ?
Casette obviously uses water (usually clean water and in our case water from our main tank)
The use of chemicals in a Casette loo CAN be avoided by use of more environmentally friendly options....
Primarily for me personally ....
The use of a Casette toilet for solids is a pain...
As is emptying the thing (or to be honest FINDING somewhere to empty it)
It means we have to find a site for a night every few days to dump the loo....

Dry toilet means waste can be deposited in a dog waste bin (we stop at plenty of those already with 3 dogs along)
Or double bagged (compostable bags) in general waste

The biggest advantage though, for me personally is a more grown up type of toilet than a porta potty.

I think you're supposed to ask someone else "Does my bum look big in this?" :ROFLMAO::cool:

Err, when you've done I am a sensitive bear, SOB!! SOB!! and correct me if I is mistakin, I did not say I have a small harris, I said "my not large behind" the seat is only about 300mm, and the target can't be more than 200mm, so bearing in mind my woods practice has been tardy of late, that is still a small by any standards loo horifice.

Bloody uppity Geeses now, I suppose you expect us to think that wasn't you in the Gif posted in your post #23, yeah right I will alow you to pull the other one, it has bells on it.

Harrumph...

Casette obviously uses water (usually clean water and in our case water from our main tank)
The use of chemicals in a Casette loo CAN be avoided by use of more environmentally friendly options....
Primarily for me personally ....
The use of a Casette toilet for solids is a pain...
As is emptying the thing (or to be honest FINDING somewhere to empty it)
It means we have to find a site for a night every few days to dump the loo....

Dry toilet means waste can be deposited in a dog waste bin (we stop at plenty of those already with 3 dogs along)
Or double bagged (compostable bags) in general waste

The biggest advantage though, for me personally is a more grown up type of toilet than a porta potty.
We took delivery of 100 black compostable doggy bags yesterday for that porpoise, the pink baby ones caused too much mirth.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back