Hello from delicagirl

the best place for a shaq is the seashore as they prefer the seafood have seen them on a farmer fishing pond in cornwal but that goes a long way to explain the cornish shaqs

Thanks Cal..... i have a great gas fire in my van... its REALLY toasty.. but there are some draughts to deal with. I have not yet investigated POI or transfer to sat nat... i don't have an "app" phone - just an ancient heavy-duty old nokia with no www. access...... do you think i should get a new phone for all the information i may need whilst out and about ?

i do have a new garmin sat nav - but wouldn't know how to download onto it..... i am pretty non-techie... but since i am self employed maybe i need to upgrade my equipment, as decisions still need making when i am away from home/office.

Hi there and welcome , have you had the fire safety checked you have to watch out for carbon monoxide fumes you can get an alarm for about £10 better to be safe than sorry , good luck on your travels :wave: .

Llamas in Scotland !

Hi again delicagirl,
Just got back from Scotland, drove all around the coast from Glasgow up the west coast and across the top and down the east coast to Edinburgh, brilliant. Go when it's a bit warmer is my recommendation, and before October as everything shuts for the winter then. The wildlife is fantastic just watch out for the dumb pheasant though, plenty of deer and believe it or not a small herd of wild llamas near Durness. The day was dull and one stood in the road staring at me, I thought at first it was a large deer until I got close then I saw the herd in the moorland.
As far as technology is concerned forget it, no phone signal most of the time and very little wifi (very relaxing) Kindle and radio 2 is the way to go. The only thing I would say is learn how to use a sat nav properly as map reading on your own on those very narrow roads is a no no and get those POI's downloaded (indispensable) the water standpipes and water toilets WS/WT were a great help as I only carry 30ltrs of water.
As far as being paranoid about parking, forget it, I stopped in some of the most out of the way places, just have a good torch and get sorted before it goes dark.
It seems that away from big cities and towns are the best, don't park near the sea if it's going to be windy and don't park anywhere near a busy road as at night the road noise seems amplified.
Back in the rat race Manchester now and missing it already. Few things to order on the internet then off again, where ?
Just enjoy it. cal.

Thanks Cal..... i have a great gas fire in my van... its REALLY toasty.. but there are some draughts to deal with. I have not yet investigated POI or transfer to sat nat... i don't have an "app" phone - just an ancient heavy-duty old nokia with no www. access...... do you think i should get a new phone for all the information i may need whilst out and about ?

i do have a new garmin sat nav - but wouldn't know how to download onto it..... i am pretty non-techie... but since i am self employed maybe i need to upgrade my equipment, as decisions still need making when i am away from home/office.

hi ! one thing you may like to consider if you don't already fitted is an alarm which goes off when someone opens any door ? we always set ours at bedtime on the offchance that someone tries to get in , never happened yet but just in case !

you mention that you need to keep in touch with business when away from home , if you have a smart phone [ one that takes 2 SIM's on different networks preferably ] you can set it to give a wifi signal for your laptop

it is clear you are going to be a fellow addict ...start reading all the posts about france which is paradise for motorhomers , there are 7000 aires to stop at , mostly free!

Last edited:
from this thread I see this site is full of pervs and it seems some are male :lol-053: I am amazed. Anyway welcome and where in Lancs are you:p

Become a lorrydriver?

Have been thinking a lot of women's ways of being since child legs. It's a mystery to me and the rest of the men.:yeahthat: However, your sense of insecurity, there are certain things you can do to reduce the risks properly. First, never behave like a sexbomb with tights and high heels, rather, should you be a little to the lorry drivers agree with a shitty attitude. I do not honestly know what is wrong with men who molest lonely women. I think they want to be "nice", but becomes angry when they get slammed. They do not understand the love game and usually their poor judgment is impaired by alcohol. We really man know that you just should be patient and have thick wallet, so will the women come and form a queue….:lol-061: Some advice. Never tell others that you are alone in the car. Do not stay too long in the same place. Always talk as if you had a man in the car. Place a couple of very big rubber boots outside the door. Get yourself a dog. Record dog barking in a data file that the stereo playing if someone approaches the car. Safest, however, is to acquire a man. There are number of man who accept any terms .. Handy to have. They can service your car, finance life, etc…. Good luck! :have fun:

Lethal Gas System .....

Hi there and welcome , have you had the fire safety checked you have to watch out for carbon monoxide fumes you can get an alarm for about £10 better to be safe than sorry , good luck on your travels :wave: .

I bought this camper from an appalling dealer - ATL southwest - just next to the M32 in Bristol. Had I not been involved in gas safety for my work, I would have died in this van. I deliberately did not use any of the gas appliances until I had the whole system checked out. He also installed non-earthed 240volt sockets.

My local huge caravan dealer's GASSAFE guy came, looked, didn't get a tool or meter out of his van, said "yes the gas system is safe but I wont give you a certificate today" and went away - unimpressed or what ?? He said the water heater was a well known make and he had never known on go wrong.

I found another local business CamperTec and Steve was utterly amazing. Considering that the van is Japanese, with a German habitation unit, and so all switches were labelled in Japanese/German, he did a remarkable job !! He found that the only safe bit of gas piping was the rubber bit dated 2013 which came from the gas bottle and disappeared into the nether regions. He then found perished black rubber tubing (possibly as old as the van) and aluminium tubing which was so brittle it just snapped, and he found so many leaks it was a lethal box on wheels. He has now stripped down the fire, hob, and water heater (which was broken), and replaced all gas tubing with copper. We have now re-labelled everything in English, installed smoke and CO2 monitors, serviced all gas appliances, replaced lights, added a second battery to the solar system I had installed, replaced the useless leisure battery, replaced the bathroom roof hatch - on it goes....

I was amazed that there seems to be no legislation covering gas appliances .... unless a camper is hired, there is no regulation... at least that is what GASSAFE told me.

So, newbies ... beware.....

Last edited:
Have been thinking a lot of women's ways of being since child legs. It's a mystery to me and the rest of the men.:yeahthat: However, your sense of insecurity, there are certain things you can do to reduce the risks properly. First, never behave like a sexbomb with tights and high heels, rather, should you be a little to the lorry drivers agree with a shitty attitude. I do not honestly know what is wrong with men who molest lonely women. I think they want to be "nice", but becomes angry when they get slammed. They do not understand the love game and usually their poor judgment is impaired by alcohol. We really man know that you just should be patient and have thick wallet, so will the women come and form a queue….:lol-061: Some advice. Never tell others that you are alone in the car. Do not stay too long in the same place. Always talk as if you had a man in the car. Place a couple of very big rubber boots outside the door. Get yourself a dog. Record dog barking in a data file that the stereo playing if someone approaches the car. Safest, however, is to acquire a man. There are number of man who accept any terms .. Handy to have. They can service your car, finance life, etc…. Good luck! :have fun:

thank you for some very useful ideas..... I am very grateful.

Kindle and radio 2 is the way to go

Hi Cal - thanks for this ... but I have no idea what you mean - kindle/R2 ?? .. Could you kindly explain. (I really am non tecchie... but willing to learn). I have just bought an App phone so that I can download stuff, but need to learn how to use the phone first !

First success with the new phone.... I took an hour to find out how to set the correct date and time... YES !!! NO idea how I go to the place where I changed them... but - one function learnt... a few more thousand to go lol !!

Last edited:
from this thread I see this site is full of pervs and it seems some are male :lol-053: I am amazed. Anyway welcome and where in Lancs are you:p

hi I was up in Lancashire for work, but live in somerset. I am back in Lancashire in a couple of weeks and plan on taking the van and then going up to the lakes for a few days.... it will be my first post-refurb run.....

:nospam: :nospam: :nospam:

Methinks spam or a little too much happy juice????

I bought this camper from an appalling dealer - ATL southwest - just next to the M32 in Bristol. Had I not been involved in gas safety for my work, I would have died in this van. I deliberately did not use any of the gas appliances until I had the whole system checked out. He also installed non-earthed 240volt sockets.

My local huge caravan dealer's GASSAFE guy came, looked, didn't get a tool or meter out of his van, said "yes the gas system is safe but I wont give you a certificate today" and went away - unimpressed or what ?? He said the water heater was a well known make and he had never known on go wrong.

I found another local business CamperTec and Steve was utterly amazing. Considering that the van is Japanese, with a German habitation unit, and so all switches were labelled in Japanese/German, he did a remarkable job !! He found that the only safe bit of gas piping was the rubber bit dated 2013 which came from the gas bottle and disappeared into the nether regions. He then found perished black rubber tubing (possibly as old as the van) and aluminium tubing which was so brittle it just snapped, and he found so many leaks it was a lethal box on wheels. He has now stripped down the fire, hob, and water heater (which was broken), and replaced all gas tubing with copper. We have now re-labelled everything in English, installed smoke and CO2 monitors, serviced all gas appliances, replaced lights, added a second battery to the solar system I had installed, replaced the useless leisure battery, replaced the bathroom roof hatch - on it goes....

I was amazed that there seems to be no legislation covering gas appliances .... unless a camper is hired, there is no regulation... at least that is what GASSAFE told me.

So, newbies ... beware.....

When I finished building the gas system I got it checked by the gas safe guys. They had some right stories about vans/boats they'd checked. A common issue being fluing heaters into the living area.

They'd even seen it on professional conversions.

The scary thing was that those were the folks that wanted them checked. Imagine the state of ones that people don't want checked.

hi I was up in Lancashire for work, but live in somerset. I am back in Lancashire in a couple of weeks and plan on taking the van and then going up to the lakes for a few days.... it will be my first post-refurb run.....

you enjoy it is all I can say good cheap cafes and reasonable pubs in cleveleys:scooter:

Hi again delicagirl,
Just got back from Scotland, drove all around the coast from Glasgow up the west coast and across the top and down the east coast to Edinburgh, brilliant. Go when it's a bit warmer is my recommendation, and before October as everything shuts for the winter then. The wildlife is fantastic just watch out for the dumb pheasant though, plenty of deer and believe it or not a small herd of wild llamas near Durness. The day was dull and one stood in the road staring at me, I thought at first it was a large deer until I got close then I saw the herd in the moorland.
As far as technology is concerned forget it, no phone signal most of the time and very little wifi (very relaxing) Kindle and radio 2 is the way to go. The only thing I would say is learn how to use a sat nav properly as map reading on your own on those very narrow roads is a no no and get those POI's downloaded (indispensable) the water standpipes and water toilets WS/WT were a great help as I only carry 30ltrs of water.
As far as being paranoid about parking, forget it, I stopped in some of the most out of the way places, just have a good torch and get sorted before it goes dark.
It seems that away from big cities and towns are the best, don't park near the sea if it's going to be windy and don't park anywhere near a busy road as at night the road noise seems amplified.
Back in the rat race Manchester now and missing it already. Few things to order on the internet then off again, where ?
Just enjoy it. cal.

There's llamas on Saddleworth moor !!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back