Heart bypass travel to Europe

village

Hi I'm currently waiting for quad bypass. The waiting time is approximately 37 weeks for papworth . I feel 100 percent fit and walk 3.5 to 4 miles a day 7 days a week . And would like to travel to eu for 3 months ,I have current ehic card , could someone please advise if they have had similar condition and what actions you have taken thanks in anticipation

I’ve had same op, I’m guessing you’re not considered ‘urgent’ as my wait was 24 hours but 2 arteries were 97% blocked. I was playing squash on the Friday but thought I had indigestion as I’m a bit of a fitness freak I asked my doctor for indigestion stuff, my doctor insisted I go for scan so the following Friday I had scan with operation planned for Monday I remained in hospital and on the Monday morning before the planned op I had my one and only episode where my heart stopped and my bedside machine was reading over 250bpm,had I been anywhere else other than Coventry hospital I wouldn’t be here,my advice would be stay near your hospital and forget travel as you just cannt tell what’s around the corner, btw Iwas out in 4 days and up and about in a fortnight so if you’re fit you’ll get through it absolutely fine. Now my open aortic aneurism repair was a different story 😂

It's good advice but feel life is on hold especially with ongoing strikes had one appointment cancelled on the day due to no intensive care beds awaiting advice from consultant

France at least (not sure about other EU countries) requires that you have healthcare cover in place. Not sure that this is ever checked, but it is in any case a good idea.
If referring to insurers, the question may arise as to whether you are travelling against medical advice. Given the post by @guerdeval , it might be an idea to consult your medics as to whether they would advise you to proceed or not. (And if they advise against, perhaps you should suggest that they clearly need to move you up the waiting list.)

I have contacted my consultant . And am awaiting reply . Just feel life is on hold

• Hugs
Reactions: REC
I have heard of this you receive treatment in Europe you pay for a percentage and claim this when you return to UK . Looking at all avenue's. By the way all the family are planning to come around for Xmas this could also be one of my reasons for traveling to my fate lol

I have heard of this you receive treatment in Europe you pay for a percentage and claim this when you return to UK . Looking at all avenue's. By the way all the family are planning to come around for Xmas this could also be one of my reasons for traveling to my fate lol
Two points, your consultant needs to agree and unless you have significant funds, travel insurance is, imo, essential, repatriation costs dead or alive are eye watering.

Two points, your consultant needs to agree and unless you have significant funds, travel insurance is, imo, essential, repatriation costs dead or alive are eye watering.
Travel insurance normally specifically excludes travelling for treatment, so any such arrangements made in advance are highly unlikely to be covered.

I totally understand both points off veiw. Awaiting consultant review . But will be disappointed if can't roam Europe thanks for your support

I’ve had same op, I’m guessing you’re not considered ‘urgent’ as my wait was 24 hours but 2 arteries were 97% blocked. I was playing squash on the Friday but thought I had indigestion as I’m a bit of a fitness freak I asked my doctor for indigestion stuff, my doctor insisted I go for scan so the following Friday I had scan with operation planned for Monday I remained in hospital and on the Monday morning before the planned op I had my one and only episode where my heart stopped and my bedside machine was reading over 250bpm,had I been anywhere else other than Coventry hospital I wouldn’t be here,my advice would be stay near your hospital and forget travel as you just cannt tell what’s around the corner, btw Iwas out in 4 days and up and about in a fortnight so if you’re fit you’ll get through it absolutely fine. Now my open aortic aneurism repair was a different story 😂
It must be a theme running through the National Health. I have an Aortic Aneurism and there is more chance of me winning the lottery than getting it sorted. They just gave me a blood thinner, ramped my statins up to 80 mg and told me to come back next year.

At least I now have knowledge of what is going to kill me. :giggle:

I was found to have a faulty heart valve just over a year ago. I was at the time thinking of going to Turkey to get teeth sorted out and mentioned this to cardio consultant. I was told no way would I be leaving the country as once diagnosed I could never get travel insurance and he said if I need the op the cost was £70,000.

Needless to say I dated in U.K. I felt as fit as I have ever been and never exhibited any symptoms until shortly before the op and then it was just starting to feel tired more than usual.

Unless you can afford to pay outright for the op yourself I would stay stay in U.K. but your choice

After reading this and other helpful comments I will be staying in UK by the way how long did you have to wait

Last year I had a heart attack and a stent to keep me alive, then a bypass operation that I paid for to speed thing up as I wasn’t waiting for the NHS.
my recovery was in no way quick or easy and I had a couple of urgent visits to Cardiology until my meds were sorted out
walking the dog regularly helped me regain strength and fitness, and now 18 months later I feel back to the way I was before the incident.
my advice, like others, is stay home, and if you can afford it get the op sorted asap. I’ve lost 4 friends in similar circumstances recently, and it was only because I live barely 10 minutes from the hospital on blues and two’s that I’m here to talk about it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back