Hank the Tanks Dodgy battery and solar system

Just a bit of an update. We are still off grid in the same place near Salcombe and have not moved the van in 15 days. The new battery that @yeoblade fitted and a bit of detective work as to what the power drains were seems to have worked but only just. When the sun's out you can pretty much use what you want early on as long as the battery is left to charge in the afternoon and is flashing full by late afternoon. It's still down to between 12.2 and 12.4 by midnight so a couple of really crap days and we would be in trouble but it's seen us through, just.

Another panel, better controller and another battery would be enough I reckon along with a couple of extra 12v sockets but despite it being overkill for is I think I'm still going to go the lithium route as it's the future! 😀 However the thought is now to wait until end of March / early April and I'll come back down to Wantage and Off Grid Solutions on my own. Michelle isn't keen to spend four days at the end of our trip in or around a solar workshop. Gives me more time to learn more and explore the options. Plus I'm sure I can organise a piss up with some of you shandy drinking biker suvverners! 😂

Just a bit of an update. We are still off grid in the same place near Salcombe and have not moved the van in 15 days. The new battery that @yeoblade fitted and a bit of detective work as to what the power drains were seems to have worked but only just. When the sun's out you can pretty much use what you want early on as long as the battery is left to charge in the afternoon and is flashing full by late afternoon. It's still down to between 12.2 and 12.4 by midnight so a couple of really crap days and we would be in trouble but it's seen us through, just.

Another panel, better controller and another battery would be enough I reckon along with a couple of extra 12v sockets but despite it being overkill for is I think I'm still going to go the lithium route as it's the future! 😀 However the thought is now to wait until end of March / early April and I'll come back down to Wantage and Off Grid Solutions on my own. Michelle isn't keen to spend four days at the end of our trip in or around a solar workshop. Gives me more time to learn more and explore the options. Plus I'm sure I can organise a piss up with some of you shandy drinking biker suvverners! 😂
15 days in one spot, try turning the we key thing below the steering wheel, broom broom move. 😂

15 days in one spot, try turning the we key thing below the steering wheel, broom broom move. 😂

We have actually been here a month Trev. We moved a mile or so for five days when we ran out of power to hookup but moved back 15 days ago.

Probably another week then we will head to Cornwall. Salcombe and South Devon IMO is one of the most fabulous places in the UK. I'll only leave when we have got bored. It's how we tour now. If I find somewhere we like we stay there until we have had enough. Same will go for Europe next year. Hopefully a mixture of new and old haunts. In six weeks I've only filled with diesel once and it's pretty much full. I anticipate having to fill again end of October / early November. Probably on the way home. 😂

This is something I'm trying to get across about our style of touring as any solar and battery system has to last off grid without moving the van for long periods.

We have actually been here a month Trev. We moved a mile or so for five days when we ran out of power to hookup but moved back 15 days ago.

Probably another week then we will head to Cornwall. Salcombe and South Devon IMO is one of the most fabulous places in the UK. I'll only leave when we have got bored. It's how we tour now. If I find somewhere we like we stay there until we have had enough. Same will go for Europe next year. Hopefully a mixture of new and old haunts. In six weeks I've only filled with diesel once and it's pretty much full. I anticipate having to fill again end of October / early November. Probably on the way home. 😂

This is something I'm trying to get across about our style of touring as any solar and battery system has to last off grid without moving the van for long periods.
You will require about 4/6 big lith batts and 400w to 600w solar for that, outherwise get a fixed cycle dynamo for the better half, give her something usefull to do. 😂

You will require about 4/6 big lith batts and 400w to 600w solar for that, outherwise get a fixed cycle dynamo for the better half, give her something usefull to do. 😂
Hmm. Joker eh?

Considering we are doing it right now with a single 120ah lead acid and a single 100-120w panel I don't think we are far off.

Single 300ah lithium and 300w panels I would expect to work in a field in the UK April to October and never get below 50%

Hmm. Joker eh?

Considering we are doing it right now with a single 120ah lead acid and a single 100-120w panel I don't think we are far off.

Single 300ah lithium and 300w panels I would expect to work in a field in the UK April to October and never get below 50%
Agreed ...

We have 3 x 100ah agm
And a 400w panel

Even with both the 240v fridge inverter AND the 12v compressor chest fridge in freezer mode

And the tv/lighting/charging
And evening use of the diesel heater
I've hardly ever see us drop below 90% in the lighter months
Screenshot_20240825_102616_VRM.jpg

Possibly heading down SW in about a month but only for 10 days or so .
Any information appreciated.
Can see the attraction of your style of touring . May try it sometime

Agreed ...

We have 3 x 100ah agm
And a 400w panel

Even with both the 240v fridge inverter AND the 12v compressor chest fridge in freezer mode

And the tv/lighting/charging
And evening use of the diesel heater
I've hardly ever see us drop below 90% in the lighter months View attachment 134447
That's encouraging. I know we are light users with gas heating and gas fridges and no big invertors but it's the not moving thing that makes us different to most. I'm sure it will be fine though plus down the line we may put in different systems. When the Fridge eventually goes the same way as most gas fridges for example. As in broken.

Possibly heading down SW in about a month but only for 10 days or so .
Any information appreciated.
Can see the attraction of your style of touring . May try it sometime
We exclusively use CL sites down here but PM me if you want any details.

Hmm. Joker eh?

Im running two 90ah truck batts with 200w solar, mainly we only use lights and ph charging plus a small fridge through an inverter, we never sit more than one night so it has never been taken to the limit.

Actually looking back over the last 12 months ....

Only a couple of occasions when I've neglected to fire the victron charger up when we've unexpectedly not been away has the batteries dropped drastically low .

Screenshot_20240825_132114_VRM.jpg

Hmm. Joker eh?

Really depends so much on what you use the battery power (stating the bleeding obvious). How long a battery will last for one person has no bearing on how well it will last for another.
If the only electric is lights, bit of TV and water pump then no problem whatsoever.
If you have a Compressor Fridge, then you need 50Ah+ a day for that straight off.
If you use modern cooking items like an Air Fryer, Induction Hob and/or Microwave, then the battery usage will be much higher than a Ark-based Campervan.

Really depends so much on what you use the battery power (stating the bleeding obvious). How long a battery will last for one person has no bearing on how well it will last for another.
If the only electric is lights, bit of TV and water pump then no problem whatsoever.
If you have a Compressor Fridge, then you need 50Ah+ a day for that straight off.
If you use modern cooking items like an Air Fryer, Induction Hob and/or Microwave, then the battery usage will be much higher than a Ark-based Campervan.

I think we know what our usage is though. None of that heavy stuff for a kick off. Two laptops, two smart phones, small TV and Freeview box, lights, water pump etc. Not much at all so I would expect a 300ah lithium and 300+w solar to allow us to use that as much as we want most of the year otherwise its pointless getting it done. The crucial thing is while it's sat at 100% or near enough during a sunny week in August if we then get five days of rain (unlikely) will it last until the sun comes out again without rationing power and when it does how fast will it charge? I've not done the maths but I would hope so. That's the issue at the moment. We can survive off grid with what we have but it's crap and a few dull days you either have to find hookup or play feckin Scrabble in the dark.

While we are on I'm thinking of binning the idea of extra cbe sockets. They are crap. Stuff falls out of them and not everything fits properly. They are only 6 amps as well the new ones. The trailing heavy duty 20 amp ones that flip out of the under seat storage are much better and actually more convenient. I have two of these next to the battery compartment that Julian @yeoblade fitted and they are great. I just need to run another one or maybe two from the battery to the front dinette which has the same flip out drawer. Of course between there and the battery is the humongous bathroom. How do you run cables to there? Is it a case of coming out of the van and back in? There is the water pump under there but I'm sure I read it's not good practice to take a 12v feed off them.

You can see one of them here.
IMG20240825150706.jpg

While we are on I'm thinking of binning the idea of extra cbe sockets. They are crap. Stuff falls out of them and not everything fits properly. They are only 6 amps as well the new ones. The trailing heavy duty 20 amp ones that flip out of the under seat storage are much better and actually more convenient.
The idea was you get sockets that mirrored the style and look of the CBE mounts. Doesn't mean you have to get CBE Branded sockets - which can not only be a bit so-so as you have found but also rather expensive.
The only CBE products that I have other than the frames and covers are 13A sockets and light switches. Everything else that I have added (other than more 13A sockets) I have converted to a CBE Style mount - that way you can choose the product you use.
Not sure why a socket you have to bring out of a flap under a seat to access is more convenient that one that is there ready to just push a plug into, but each to their own :)

Back