Habitation Checks

I think the best comparison is that it is not a legal requirement to service your base vehicle, although advisable, and it is simply a requirement to maintain it in a roadworthy condition. An mot will check that it complies on a specific day.
Similarly a habitation check is probably advisable, but not essential since each time you use the van you are effectively carrying out many of the checks.
Last week I had the gas system pressure checked by a gas qualified plumber/heating engineer. I would have thought that this might be an area rather than general hab checks that need periodic inspection.
Some years back I phoned my insurer to notify them of my uprating from 3500kg to 3850kg. They could not grasp that as my van in running order exceeded 3500kg I would go to the bother of uprating. I got the impression they weren’t interested in the legalities of running overweight, but I wouldn’t want to test that out.

Davy
I rang Autogas 2000 at Thirsk just before the Kelso Rally for advice on whether the gas system needed a Safety Check since it is 2 years from the date of installation. I was told that it is only the 10 years cylinder check/replacement that matters, unless there were any concerns on my part that damage/leakage might have happened. In the same vein, Truma aren't interested in checking the Heating System, on the basis that a problem will throw a Fault Code, and David @wildebus has been adding/moving/installing electrical items for the last 18 months, with lots of new cabling fitted, so that's a more thorough check than a Hab Service would involve. The Heating Boiler was descaled in November 2022, and the fresh water tank sterilised the week before the Boiler was done, so we have had a 'Hab Check by Instalments' operation

And Elaine's trip with the full pot of coffee at Kelso has confirmed that both I and the upholstery are still impervious. The upholstery responded quicker to the rewaxing than I did to the bandaging, but I'm getting there ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

I did start off with an annual hab check on our present van. It was new and had to have a dealer check for damp to safeguard the 6 year warranty. It was dressed up as part of the overall habitation check. Since the dealer was excellent in its sales and support, I didn’t mind, but when Covid started I let it lapse. The local garage who now service all 4 vehicles in our household are also Motorhome owners and advise or sort out any hab type issues that they come across or that I request. Last year they swept the fridge flue, fitted an upgrade mppt controller and ran wiring from it to the engine battery.
In all my 30+ years as a caravaner before switching to Motorhomes, I only ever kept an eye on the tyres and the braking system.
Just like Marie, we were on the edge financially as we raised a family, so fancy vans were out and diy maintainance
was essential.

Davy

AFAIK. there is no legal qualification that has to be held for carrying out these checks. I know some of the better technicians may have a proper qualification in the relevant fields e.g. gas and electric but I don't think it is required by law on motorhomes. The dealer who I bought my van from couldn't even carry out a decent PDI check. Why would I trust them with a hab.check? (I had to the first 2 yrs, for the warranty, but only let them do it once.) It's a racket.

not watched the video yet (might do for a laugh), but just remember .....

If it is on the Internet, it must be true.
I have lost count of the number of times people have pointed out "Facts" to me that they have found on-line :)
(I am currently avoiding one particular forum after questioning some of these "facts" in an apparently too direct a manner ;) )

Thinking about the likelyhood of Habitation Checks needed for insurance ... Are Hab checks not generally to do with things working or not working? So the only people who would be interested in that sort of info would be a company that you might take out a service maintenance contract with, not an insurance company. If something fails on a motorhome, the insurance is not going to fix it.
if a hab check on a vehicle was mandatory, something like a check on household appliances, state of roof, etc, would probably be mandatory for household insurance? and the only* questions you get asked there for house insurance beyond the scope of cover is about security arrangements (door and window locks).

*I am excluding Wullys (and Colins) example as very few live/insure listed buildings or thatched cottages :)

Last edited:
I started to watch the video ... moved up to x1.5 speed ..... (I think some people are cut out to be YouTubers and some are not. I am pretty sure I would be one of the "are nots" as well).
I thought I would post the video again but with a time link to the specific thing mentioned.
I would call BS on this. He also put on a screengrab of a insurance proviso about the Gas needing to be installed corrected to a certain standard on a 'privately converted' camper to back up his statement. But absolutely nothing in that text suggested in the slightest that there is an annual hab check needed, and it even implied (correctly I reckon) that if it was a 'factory' camper/motorhome NO checks were a requirement. (note 'requirements' and 'good ideas' are not always the same :) )
It is another video along the lines of those stating LPG will no longer be available in 12 months so you better fit big batteries. If people want to make statements in their videos (as opposed to giving opinions), they really need to do their research better :(

not watched the video yet (might do for a laugh), but just remember .....

If it is on the Internet, it must be true.
I have lost count of the number of times people have pointed out "Facts" to me that they have found on-line :)
(I am currently avoiding one particular forum after questioning some of these "facts" in an apparently too direct a manner ;) )

Thinking about the likelyhood of Habitation Checks needed for insurance ... Are Hab checks not generally to do with things working or not working? So the only people who would be interested in that sort of info would be a company that you might take out a service maintenance contract with, not an insurance company. If something fails on a motorhome, the insurance is not going to fix it.
if a hab check on a vehicle was mandatory, something like a check on household appliances, state of roof, etc, would probably be mandatory for household insurance? and the only* questions you get asked there for house insurance beyond the scope of cover is about security arrangements (door and window locks).

*I am excluding Wullys (and Colins) example as very few live/insure listed buildings or thatched cottages :)
David this guy has done so much to his van with regards to electrics. Installed a 460ah lithium, victron 30A charger (replacing a 20A charger) Victron 15A solar controller, a 300w inverter, sterling 3A battery maintainer, and he seems to think he has not invalidated his warranty. I would like it if you could watch one of his videos when doing this work David, your opinion would be valued. He seems to be competent in what he has done, but you may differ in your opinion.

David this guy has done so much to his van with regards to electrics. Installed a 460ah lithium, victron 30A charger (replacing a 20A charger) Victron 15A solar controller, a 300w inverter, sterling 3A battery maintainer, and he seems to think he has not invalidated his warranty. I would like it if you could watch one of his videos when doing this work David, your opinion would be valued. He seems to be competent in what he has done, but you may differ in your opinion.
If I recall, he said it was about to have its first check? so just a year old? strange to make so many changes for someone who seems so adament about process and cover after adaptions?
I'll have a look. peaked my interest there :)
The Sterling Battery Maintainer has a clear statement (last time I looked) that it was not compatible with Lithium.

I don't think making changes makes any warranties invalid beyond cover for the specific parts you changed, but I can't guarantee that obviously. I know I did a setup for someone on their brand new Hymer (so new it had not even been delivered when we were changing its design!). Added loads of stuff, changed other stuff and 'intercepted' power feeds to more stuff to give extra control :)

That seems fairly sensible for a thatched property and wouldn't have thought it to be out of the ordinary - or even unnecessary(!)? 🤔 🤷‍♀️

I haven't seen many thatched motorhomes on the roads... 😜 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I've seen one parked up at gamefair some years back, an advertising for home insurance company. 😜
p.s. just remembered it was for some sort of rural dating agency, I did post a pic on OAL about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
That seems fairly sensible for a thatched property and wouldn't have thought it to be out of the ordinary - or even unnecessary(!)? 🤔 🤷‍♀️

I haven't seen many thatched motorhomes on the roads... 😜 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The odd bit of moss in the channel of the skirt under the high brakelight, where the dirt washed from the roof gathers; the odd patch of green on the roof when it needs cleaned; the odd twig and small branch from the trees 15 feet away at the edge of the Links, but not quite a thatch ... :rolleyes:

Steve

I am currently having a discussion with a guy who does YouTube videos.
He did a video and claims in this video that habitation checks are mandatory for insurance covers. I am insured with AIB, and I cannot find anything which states this directly or indirectly.
I will give them a phone tomorrow, but I am interested in hearing opinions on here.

It got me thinking if a van for instance catches fire due to an electrical or gas issue and there has been no habitation checks done for years could this be a way out for the insurer, even if they don’t stipulate this requirement, by not having these checks done you are breaching what the manufacturer advises.

I don’t think they are mandatory for vehicle insurance, but just wondering.
Habitation checks can be mandatory for warranty but I’ve never come across it for insurance!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back