Habitation Checks

I lasted 10 seconds Bill. He's clearly a nutter.
Sadly some will watch this video and be swayed by what he states.
He has over 3500 subscribers.
Once I have clarified the situation I will state the facts clearly on YouTube Barry.
And on here.

To many people have opinions which they state as fact, I think when you use a public platform to give facts you should do exactly that, not what you think is right. I don’t understand why he made that comment, and then supported it in a reply to me.

I understand your concerns Bill as insurance companies have a reputation for dodging paying out if they can. Why else would they have pages of small print set out in a format that requires a degree in twisted logic and legalese terminology.

I just hope you don't give them another 'requirment' adding another financial burden on the mh fraternity.

Whatever you do, don't mention carrying a second toilet cassette. They can give off methane gas, creating an explosive atmosphere. 💣😉

Usually, I suggest that people do what they think best.

Which in this case could be, don't get into discussions with numpties on YouTube, there's more than enough of them here, including me. 😂

I'm happy I have read and understood my T&C's, as it seems everyone here has too, and as Barry said, it would be common knowledge.
Not really interested in having a discussion Mark, I simply want his subscribers and anyone else who watches his video to know the facts.

I understand your concerns Bill as insurance companies have a reputation for dodging paying out if they can. Why else would they have pages of small print set out in a format that requires a degree in twisted logic and legalese terminology.

I just hope you don't give them another 'requirment' adding another financial burden on the mh fraternity.

Whatever you do, don't mention carrying a second toilet cassette. They can give off methane gas, creating an explosive atmosphere. 💣😉
There you go talking jobies again Ral :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
AIB Deal with over 30 different companies, and they have never seen this written into any policy.
Further they have never heard of anyone being refused a claim due to the lack of a habitation service.
Just as I expected.
Later on this morning I will go back on to YouTube to state these facts.
If any of you wish to do likewise that would be great.
Thanks for all your comments.

Here Ral talking Jobbies bad eyesight and toilet cassettes I lost my new reading glasses first week of a six week trip guess where I found them yesterday when giving the cassette a clean. Your no the only one wae shite eyesight How’s that for rounding three threads into one. 🤓😁

AIB Deal with over 30 different companies, and they have never seen this written into any policy.
Further they have never heard of anyone being refused a claim due to the lack of a habitation service.
Just as I expected.
Later on this morning I will go back on to YouTube to state these facts.
If any of you wish to do likewise that would be great.
Thanks for all your comments.
Probably better off inviting him here, rather then leaving messages on his channel. That would be a pile on.

You've probably already wrecked his channel, people only watching a few seconds of a video really mess with YouTube algorithms.

I wouldn’t take what you watch on YouTube as fact Bill it’s light hearted entertainment🤦🏻‍♂️. Full of egos trying to sell you something and getting people to like them. Maybe he works for or is sponsored by an insurance company? That’s usually how it works.
I aint cal hence why I am doing this.
But to be fair to the guy he has done lots of electrical and other things to his van and I have found them helpful. But I feel strongly about dishing out wrong misleading advice. I remember when I first started out and I may have listened to this information and believed it.

Anyway I have posted on his video I await a reply, or he may just remove me.

I think the best comparison is that it is not a legal requirement to service your base vehicle, although advisable, and it is simply a requirement to maintain it in a roadworthy condition. An mot will check that it complies on a specific day.
Similarly a habitation check is probably advisable, but not essential since each time you use the van you are effectively carrying out many of the checks.
Last week I had the gas system pressure checked by a gas qualified plumber/heating engineer. I would have thought that this might be an area rather than general hab checks that need periodic inspection.
Some years back I phoned my insurer to notify them of my uprating from 3500kg to 3850kg. They could not grasp that as my van in running order exceeded 3500kg I would go to the bother of uprating. I got the impression they weren’t interested in the legalities of running overweight, but I wouldn’t want to test that out.

Davy

Here Ral talking Jobbies bad eyesight and toilet cassettes I lost my new reading glasses first week of a six week trip guess where I found them yesterday when giving the cassette a clean. Your no the only one wae shite eyesight How’s that for rounding three threads into one. 🤓😁
Brings a whole new meaning to saying 'I've got some £$%^ in my eye'.

Good of you to send me the pic.

1691057703251.png

I'm flown by the seat of my pants for most of my life, mostly due to economic considerations (i.e. lack of sufficient money!).

But I'm quite happy to have been restricted to being the owner of older vehicles when it comes to mohos/camper vans. At least I've not had to worry a great deal about losing too much financially when it comes to insurance!!

The thought of having all that posh modern "habitation" stuff checked over every year would put me right off bothering, especially when you've parted with such large amounts of dosh up front and "habitation checks" often seem to be non-standard and vague. Guess it's all relative 🤷‍♀️

Have you thought that maybe this YouTube guy has a vested interest in Habitation checks, or a mate who does them that he recommends to his (innocent!) viewers?! 🤔🤣😜

Whatever, this video I also find a bit boring and "entry level" (I lasted a whole 30 seconds! 😂😴), but I guess some may find it useful if they are new to the game?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back