Habitation Checks

Fisherman

I am currently having a discussion with a guy who does YouTube videos.
He did a video and claims in this video that habitation checks are mandatory for insurance covers. I am insured with AIB, and I cannot find anything which states this directly or indirectly.
I will give them a phone tomorrow, but I am interested in hearing opinions on here.

It got me thinking if a van for instance catches fire due to an electrical or gas issue and there has been no habitation checks done for years could this be a way out for the insurer, even if they don’t stipulate this requirement, by not having these checks done you are breaching what the manufacturer advises.

I don’t think they are mandatory for vehicle insurance, but just wondering.

I would have thought if this was a requirement it would be common knowledge across all motorhome forums and having been a member of several including this one for 15 years its the first ive heard of it. People on YouTube spout all sorts of nonsense.

Im not sure I would put the idea in an insurers head though.

I am currently having a discussion with a guy who does YouTube videos.
It's generally wise to assume he's wrong. Chances are that what you see on YouTube is wrong
It got me thinking if a van for instance catches fire due to an electrical or gas issue and there has been no habitation checks done for years could this be a way out for the insurer, even if they don’t stipulate this requirement,
Nope. The deal is clearly laid out in the policy documents, which they write. Those are the conditions. You and they are stuck with those rules.
I don’t think they are mandatory for vehicle insurance, but just wondering.
They're not mandatory. There isn't even a proper definition of what a habitation check consists of.

Different grades of listed properties. Think they had a massive claim at some point but I give them an invoice every year stating that the the roof and gutters are in a maintainable condition and any necessary repairs have been carried out.

I would have thought if this was a requirement it would be common knowledge across all motorhome forums and having been a member of several including this one for 15 years its the first ive heard of it. People on YouTube spout all sorts of nonsense.

Im not sure I would put the idea in an insurers head though.
I agree Barry, I have stated I think this guy is wrong.
But I can’t see any harm in putting a couple of scenarios to my insurer for clarification. I will post the findings on here, and on YouTube.
I never thought of this possibility, and I reckon he’s wrong.
But I feel it’s important IF people post things wrongly they are challenged.
That way anyone watching the video then reading the comments can form an informed opinion.
Here’s the video.

Read the fine print on the policy document, if a habitation check is mandatory it'll be on there.
I have done Ral, and I can’t see any “specific” requirement.
But if a fault develops which led to damage and this fault would have been picked up during a check which is recommended by the manufacturer, were would I stand. I will put that scenario to AIB, and also ask have they ever refused a claim due to the lack of a hab check. I reckon there will be no requirement, but before I go back to you tube I want to be in possession of the facts, not simply my opinion.

The vehicle insurance requires the M/Home to be roadworthy, taxed and insured to meet Road Traffic Act Regs. After that, the insurers are not bothered, though the 'You Tube'r may have got wires crossed [no pun intended, but the 'You Tube' was] re the Dealer Warranty preservation.

In my case, the Burstner known problem of floor delamination has started and Camper UK cannot make the repairs until 2nd December 2024. They have told me that it is OK to use the Motorhome in the meantime [but not to 'hold any wild parties', and not to attempt any diy fixes otherwise Burstner will not pay their contribution]. If 'You Tube' is right, I shouldn't be using Brunhilde and Camper UK shouldn't have given me the go ahead to continue; and Burstner should have issued a Recall and provided the Resources to have the work undertaken quicker than the 18 months from date of the first reporting the problem, but they haven't ...

I can see that the insurer might refuse a claim because of defective electrics or gas installations [on the Fun Forum, there is a Member complaining about Gas leakage on his refillable system where the 2nd bottle has been removed and the pigtail valve just turned off as you do when a bottle IS connected ...] Charlie of Autogas in Thirsk had some wise words written in quite restrained terms for the Forum Member ...

Having a gas check and an electrical safety check is common sense; the rest of the Hab Check for damp etc would not be an issue for the Insurers, IMO, because they would not be liable on any claim

Steve

I agree Barry, I have stated I think this guy is wrong.
But I can’t see any harm in putting a couple of scenarios to my insurer for clarification. I will post the findings on here, and on YouTube.
I never thought of this possibility, and I reckon he’s wrong.
But I feel it’s important IF people post things wrongly they are challenged.
That way anyone watching the video then reading the comments can form an informed opinion.
Here’s the video.

I lasted 10 seconds Bill. He's clearly a nutter.

So what do suggest then mark.
Usually, I suggest that people do what they think best.

Which in this case could be, don't get into discussions with numpties on YouTube, there's more than enough of them here, including me. 😂

I'm happy I have read and understood my T&C's, as it seems everyone here has too, and as Barry said, it would be common knowledge.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back