Getting nervous in my old age.

Thinking about it now I should have expected it . Two years ago when I collected my present van the previous owner had just refilled both gas bottles as now almost empty I went to the garage today for refilling never having had experience of doing this the very friendly girl who was serving fuel told me that they preferred to do it for me, she then connected pump etc then walked away to serve next customer while gas was being pumped into my cylinders when full she came back to disconnect there was a whoosh of gas very like a compressor blowing of I must have leapt three feet into the air as was totally not expecting any sort of noise,Have to say the lady attendant was laughing fit to burst and said it always does that. I must be getting nervous.

We've had a Gaslow system for the past 15 years and I still can't get used to that "whoosh"! :)

I do wonder how she connected it and walked away while it was filling as you have to hold a button in and it stops when released.

I do wonder how she connected it and walked away while it was filling as you have to hold a button in and it stops when released.
Having never filled before I can only say that having connected the hose she just set the pump and let it do it’s own thing took about three minutes before the numbers almost stopped moving when she returned just switched pump off before giving me a bit of a scare.

Shell have stopped selling bulk lpg
Some Shell garages are franchises not directly owned by Shell. They can choose to keep selling LPG. The service station on the M74 at Abginton is badged as Shell, run by Welcome Break. The manager there has said that all Welcome Break where LPG is sold will be continuing to stock LPG.

It's not a good idea to have an AES fridge on at all when filling! A friend was seriously burned when his fridge realised that his engine wasn't providing 12v anymore, and sparked up as he disconnected. BOOM!

The theory is that AES waits to select gas for 15 minutes after 12v goes off. Good theory, personally I never us AES and never have gas on whilst travelling.

I did not read all the posts so this may be a duplication but if you join The Countrywide organisation (I think primarily for farmers but I am not one but use their service) telephone 0800 243889 they will send you a little plastic book with all their England, primarily towards the west and Wales, sites and a key to enable you to use the pumps. All those I have used are self service and some totally unattended on industrial estates but available at all times 24/7/365. They invoice you sporadically and the prices are far less than most garages. Harry

I did not read all the posts so this may be a duplication but if you join The Countrywide organisation (I think primarily for farmers but I am not one but use their service) telephone 0800 243889 they will send you a little plastic book with all their England, primarily towards the west and Wales, sites and a key to enable you to use the pumps. All those I have used are self service and some totally unattended on industrial estates but available at all times 24/7/365. They invoice you sporadically and the prices are far less than most garages. Harry
I have had 2 LPG converted Volvos over the years and am still registered with Countrywide. My S80 is in storage at the moment and I've not used Countrywide for over a year. The invoicing system is good with a monthly direct debit showing exactly where you filled up and how much etc. At their pumps your key is assigned to your vehicle therefore it shows the registration when you use it and also on the invoice, you can also input your speedo reading to keep track of usage etc. There's always a BUT and here it is - last I knew they came under Countrywide Stores (farmer connection) but the LPG business had been sold onto another company - up until this time the furthest north they had their sites was at Shrewsbury in Shropshire. I don't know if the new company has installed other sites yet. I too have shied away from getting refillable due to more sites shutting each month than those opening. Enjoy!

I've just been looking into this since Harrytherid's post - Countrywide went into administration a couple of years ago and the company ended up being taken over by Flogas. Some info here about the key system and opening an account

I have encountered two types of pump in the UK.
1. Connect and press and hold button down until filled.
b) Connect press button once.

Pity you cannot get a big white tank at home and fit a connection pump to fill your van, think some farms do this here.

Countrywide went bust a couple of years ago and the business was taken over by Flogas.

Asda in High Wycombe (Just off the M40) 52.7p . I always top up there when visiting relatives

I have encountered two types of pump in the UK.
1. Connect and press and hold button down until filled.
b) Connect press button once.
I have travelled widely in UK and abroad but have never come across that type so they must be rare

I have travelled widely in UK and abroad but have never come across that type so they must be rare

Recently at the Hereford meet I had to get gas which was about four miles away and that was a press once to fill. Of course I'm assuming it was working correctly and not sticking in the on position until filled. Maybe also press again to stop filling if you only want a partial fill. To be fair it's the only one I've come across like it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back