Gas - switch off or leave on when driving?

Maybe other people have (shock! horror!) a different viewpoint to you? (I know. Stupid, isn't it. Fools!)
And maybe some people what to know that IF they wanted to do something, would it be safe to do, or not safe to do.

Information and knowledge can be very useful when coupled with common sense.
Isn’t that the point of forums....to discuss and share viewpoints?
Or am I missing something.
Common sense tells me gas can be dangerous so I turn it off.

The later gaslow bottles were uprated to R67 status which has additional safety features apparently and they use it as a selling point but it is an EU thing

So first we have ....
I can’t believe the question was even asked...never mind some of the replies.
Why would you the need the gas on when travelling?
The 12 volt system will keep the fridge cold.

Followed by .....

You toddle off Allen, have an argument with yourself and come back when you have decided which Allen you are :)

Do you know if that is a feature of the Gaslow bottle itself? or something else in your installation that allows that?
I had a look on the Gaslow website yesterday to try and check this point but came up with a blank.
Yes Dave it is a feature of the Gaslow system bottles. The GasIt bottles do not have anything similar but the GasIt Plus bottles do

Its the same as everything, it depends on what your setup is and as importantly what you are comfortable with. My van only uses gas for the hob and grill so no pilot lights left on or indeed fitted. My bottles incorporate valves that will shut off the flow not eh bottle itself in the event of a crash or pipe rupture. I do not feel a need to shut off for driving as I do not see a risk.

If anyone is anal about risks when driving do they isolate their habitation batteries as electric is also dangerous?

If anyone doesn't like leaving things on, switch them off, simples and vive le difference

I know some motorhomes have a recommendation that Gas should be turned off at the bottles when on the move. And others say it is ok to leave on as they have some system or other that permits the gas to be left on.

How do you know which 'class' your motorhome sits in?
What would be the recommendation for a 2008 Autotrail?
I am a Gas Safe registered engineer, (but not qualified to work on mobile home LPG systems). Basically, if you are involved in an accident & the gas line ruptures, there is a real danger of explosion. In the past, gas explosions have demolished houses and even blocks of flats. Your camper would stand no chance of surviving an explosion. I am not familiar of the Crash Safe system, but if it really is 100% safe, then maybe leave the gas on, but why take the risk?

So first we have ....

Followed by .....

You toddle off Allen, have an argument with yourself and come back when you have decided which Allen you are :)
I’m back.
I am a Gas Safe registered engineer, (but not qualified to work on mobile home LPG systems). Basically, if you are involved in an accident & the gas line ruptures, there is a real danger of explosion. In the past, gas explosions have demolished houses and even blocks of flats. Your camper would stand no chance of surviving an explosion. I am not familiar of the Crash Safe system, but if it really is 100% safe, then maybe leave the gas on, but why take the risk?
Exactly!
Despite the keyboard warriors attempt to silence anyone with a different viewpoint I stick by my opinion.

And no, I’m not looking for an argument.....but am somewhat upset to be told to “toddle off”...

I thought this was “the fun and friendly motorhome community”

the secumotion valve is a rupture valve designed to close if there is a full flow or open end situation which is why it often operates when you first turn on the gas supply
I am not familiar of the Crash Safe system,
The Secumotion system has 2 parts and both are essential if leaving the gas on. The rupture device is on the high pressure hose between the bottle and the regulator and only protects this pipe. The Secumotion regulator protects the low pressure pressure distribution system around the motorhome. Both green buttons may need re-setting when the gas has been off if the pressure has dropped. The 2 parts of the system protect separate parts of the system and the regulator alone is not enough. Some bottles such as the newer Alugas ones have built in rupture protection valves. There is a new black version of the Secumotion regulator which looks different but performs the same function.
1608452009128.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TR5
I’m back.

Exactly!
Despite the keyboard warriors attempt to silence anyone with a different viewpoint I stick by my opinion.

And no, I’m not looking for an argument.....but am somewhat upset to be told to “toddle off”...

I thought this was “the fun and friendly motorhome community”
Think where you went wrong was stating it was a stupid question we all do things differently that a lot dont agree with (y)

It’s quite simple and a personal choice. Either rely on systems which prevent gas escaping in the event of an accident, something you will find out if it works only when needed, or turn it off yourself and eliminate any chance of system failure. The dangerous electricity from batteries was a bit pantomime and hardly a serious comparison of risk. Merry Christmas everyone, lets hope we can all be using our vans for what they are designed for fairly soon and for those full timers keep safe and warm.

Anyone who has seen a video of a Motorhome going up in flames in under a minute will probably decide to turn their gas bottles off. The Secumotion system (which I have fitted) is a wonderful thing for when us doddery old farts forget to turn the gas off. I was taught about gas and its explosive and burning qualities as a yoof and it is not nice. A very small percentage of gas to air and a spark is deadly.

With apologies to anyone who wants a Viking funeral.

Turn it off. If you have ever seen a gas bottle fire up you would not leave it on. Imagine a blow lamp on full blast and magnify it by about 100 times with its 8ft high flame and put it in your van. What chance has the van got. Can you get close enough to turn it off with your asbestos’s gloves on and is it fair on the fireman that needs to deal with it and will he survive if it does rocket off. Just a few things there to think about. What would your decision be? Bit harsh? Yes it could be.

What is the difference between moving and using, is it the chance of an accident? If so I refer back to my previous post. But by all means do your own thing, I will 👍

My wife always says she can smell gas, not sure if she is referring to me or the bottle. 😂 hence I turn it off to keep the peace rather than leave it on to get I told you so.:(
So have you never had a 'soundness' test to make sure there are no gas leaks?

Last edited:
The Gaslow bottle has a mutlvalve which not only cuts off at 80% fill but also cuts off if a hose is ruptured so replaces the need to have the green button on the hose. I use the stainless steel gaslow hoses. My bottles ere exchanged in 2018 as 10 years was up and they had the multivalve fitted, my originals bottles circa 2008.

I just checked the gaslow website and the info is still there: https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gaslow-6kg-refillable-lpg-cylinder-no2-01-4006-67-2/

I use stainless steel hoses too, but still have the shut-off valves fitted, there are adaptors available to make these fit, as well as the Truma secomotion regulator with crash sensor. You could tip over in an accident, while the hoses stay intact, but internal pipework be ruptured or damaged. Safety first in my book.

About running the heating while driving, the Truma Combi is designed to be run while driving, although I prefer to get the van warm before travelling, then rely on the vehicle heater to keep it warm when in motion, but I do have the option if excessively cold.

The bottles must be turned off when refilling though, without fail. If the 80% cut-off failed you would end up forcing 'liquid' petroleum gas (emphasis on LIQUID) into all your pipework, and as it ignites when attempting to use, it expands over 270-fold - and that would be a flame thrower in action!

Last edited:
There is a risk of damage to people or property vehicles arising from the use an inflammable gas in a motor home.

The probability of something happening is low, but the severity of the consequences is potentially high.

There are actions we can take to reduce the possibility of occurrence
e.g Flame failure devices (fitted as default to modern vans, but not necessarily on older vans or home builds).
Crash safe valves / bottles
Switching off the gas supply. (when gas not in use / overnight/ whilst driving/ filling stations)
Testing (professional as part of the habitation check or using spray)

There are things we can use to reduce the severity of the consequences
e.g. Fire retardant material (again, fitted as default to modern vans, but not necessarily on older vans or home builds)
Fire control devices Fire blankets ; extinguishers (auto or manual)

We all, consciously or unconsciously, evaluate this risk and adopt the measures we believe to be appropriate.

I am fairly risk adverse and have Crash safe valves / bottles; I switch off the gas supply overnight or when the van is unoccupied for a few days but leave on overnight; I test for leaks when I change the bottle. My van is fitted with a fire blanket & extinguisher.

Others base their decisions on the low probability of occurrence and take less action.
I am not aware of anyone who wears fire proof overalls, but this may have changed after the events at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

By all means ask for input from others, but it is your van, your life, your loved ones and your decision.

Reactions: TR5
I don't normally turn mine off except when filling, but I do have a fire blanket, an in date extinguisher, and have a full gas safety inspection and soundness test of the system annually, as well as the full secomotion system and crash sensors. I also have a gas and co alarms - in date and operational. The gas locker is also well vented, and sealed from the habitation area. The van is kept at home when not is use, and we pass it close by to go in and out, so checked regularly. I also was Corgi registered, mainly dealing with industrial works, and well aware of the risks and safety measures of using any form of flammable gases.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back