Gas - switch off or leave on when driving?

With motor homes as of construction year 01/2007 a safety shut-off device must be provided that prevents gas from inadvertently escaping if a line breaks in the event of an accident. However, someone may have replaced / removed it to sort out a fault. Checking is the ONLY way to be sure.

See also https://www.truma.com/uk/en/faq/operate-truma-appliances-while-driving
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

The bit you put (in red above) I am actually reading differently to the near identical text in the truma website in the link you posted :unsure:
In the red text, I read that as saying from 01/2007 a motorhome will have a shutoff device installed (at least originally). end of.
In the link text it says " With motor homes as of construction year 01/2007, in accordance with the heating equipment directive 2001/56/EC with annexes 2004/78/EC and 2006/119/EC for the operation of a liquid gas heater while driving, a safety shut-off device must be provided that prevents gas from inadvertently escaping if a line breaks in the event of an accident "
I've shown the extra text in green - and I am reading that sentence as a whole to say that IF you want to operate the heater when driving, a safety cut-off valve must be provided, rather than it MUST be provided regardless from 01/2007?

I really don't know which interpretation is right but I am tending to mine, especially as the next line in that site states "For vehicles manufactured before 01/2007 there are no restrictions for operating the gas system while driving" - so it sounds to me like an optional device from 2007?
I am hoping I am wrong. can you/anyone confirm?

I haven't had a boat but I am familiar with the concept of them (bathtub with a sail or engine?) - so having a drop vent in the gas locker wouldn't work too well :D (I guess less risk of explosion as the boat is on the sea/canel bottom if one was fitted?) - so given Motorhomes DO have drop vents at the minimum and more likely a massive open area around the bottles and the gas is not going to accumalate I really think the comparison is a little daft? :)

Just went out and had a look at my Regulator .... Have the pretty common EN 61-DS and I understand the "DS" means "Drive Safe", so happy days in that I have the choice of leaving the Gas on or turning it off! I tend to stay on the cautious side but good to have the option when appropriate.
1608142239771.png

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

The bit you put (in red above) I am actually reading differently to the near identical text in the truma website in the link you posted :unsure:
In the red text, I read that as saying from 01/2007 a motorhome will have a shutoff device installed (at least originally). end of.
In the link text it says " With motor homes as of construction year 01/2007, in accordance with the heating equipment directive 2001/56/EC with annexes 2004/78/EC and 2006/119/EC for the operation of a liquid gas heater while driving, a safety shut-off device must be provided that prevents gas from inadvertently escaping if a line breaks in the event of an accident "
I've shown the extra text in green - and I am reading that sentence as a whole to say that IF you want to operate the heater when driving, a safety cut-off valve must be provided, rather than it MUST be provided regardless from 01/2007?

I really don't know which interpretation is right but I am tending to mine, especially as the next line in that site states "For vehicles manufactured before 01/2007 there are no restrictions for operating the gas system while driving" - so it sounds to me like an optional device from 2007?
I am hoping I am wrong. can you/anyone confirm?

I trimmed the green bit out to simplify the sentence but I did read it differently to you. I think the best answer is to check your system and don't have gas on if no safety device.

The two danger times are after an accident and in a filling station (especially if filling with LPG.)

AFAIK any crash cut off devise is optional, I know some MH's made by Hymer group don't come with them. My understanding, and this I may be wrong on, is that the directive is not applied across all the EU. Either way AFAIK turning off the gas at bottle is seen as acceptable.

BTW, our Globecar came with a German gas cert and dated sticker on van for it's length of validity. There where no crash safe valves.
p.s. In Germany it is a requirement to have a periodic (2 year?) gas inspection.

I only shut of my bottles when I am filling them up not when I fill with diesel. I do this because there is a (slim?) chance the regulator can get damaged. I know it was around 2007 when something changed to fitting bulkhead mounted regulators in motorhomes but I dont think they have to have any crash protection in them.

My memory is poor but if you want the regs (which can be murky in application) have a word with Charlie.

I work the same as Nigel though, if you dont feel 100% happy turn them off, I am happy :)

Wildebus , thanks for the photo of the truma sticker. I have owned our 2007 Autotrail Apache for 9 years and didn’t realise DS meant Drive Safe so now I’m happy on the multiple occasions I forgot to turn the gas off while driving 🙄. And for completeness here’s my sticker and valve in the gas locker👍, Dave.
3BE06D15-D1D2-4C83-8E73-7B865846EAE4.jpeg

Wildebus , thanks for the photo of the truma sticker. I have owned our 2007 Autotrail Apache for 9 years and didn’t realise DS meant Drive Safe so now I’m happy on the multiple occasions I forgot to turn the gas off while driving 🙄. And for completeness here’s my sticker and valve in the gas locker👍, Dave.
From my searching, that is my conclusion - but I could not find a totally definitive "DS = Drive Safe" statement to confirm. I will be checking the info supplied with the motorhome later tonight.

Thanks for the information. I always turn mine off as imagining a big escape in the event of an accident, but must check what the regulator says.

Last edited:
Ex sailor still instilled with gas paranoia Definitely off. If you have ever seen a yachtie operating a bilge pump with no water coming out of the outlet then you would know what I mean!!
I used a bucket n chuck it ,honestly .I had a small leak when unattended the gas went in the bin replaced with spirit cooker .no 6 metre rule marinas

Last edited:
Ex sailor still instilled with gas paranoia Definitely off. If you have ever seen a yachtie operating a bilge pump with no water coming out of the outlet then you would know what I mean!!

...presumably they would be using a manual bilge pump and not electric!

It is not practical to turn mine off as it on the underslung. Tank .the fridge turns off automatically I do turn the gas off at the internal stops when the van is not in use as per the instructions at handover.

When I bought my van 3 years ago we arrived to pick it up dealer he had the heating on in van when we arrived.When I went to shut the gas off he said what are you doing I told him turning gas of for driving. He told me I could leave it on and I could also drive with the heating on I’ve never been a 100% sure of this. So leave the gas on at bottles but don’t drive with the heating or fridge running.

I just had a search and I could not find a leaflet on the Truma Regulator with the Autotrail documentation :( (I was sure I had something!)

I looked through the Autotrail handbook for my 2008 Cheyenne and I found the following advice in the "Preparing For The Road" Section ...

"Ensure gas bottles are correctly positioned, secured and turned off".

But the same section also has this advice:
"Turn off all gas appliances, except those heating appliances designed to function while the vehicle is in motion"

Now on further reading around, I am even more sure then before that the "-DS" means Drive Safe as their new Regulator is marked as a "-CS" which has a Crash Sensor and is the replacement for Drive Safe.
Drive Safe seems to be also called Secumotion. Some interesting info about Drive Safe on Southdowns here

Now on further reading around, I am even more sure then before that the "-DS" means Drive Safe as their new Regulator is marked as a "-CS" which has a Crash Sensor and is the replacement for Drive Safe.
Drive Safe seems to be also called Secumotion. Some interesting info about Drive Safe on Southdowns here

On the link it shows the system we have, you will see it has a pigtail with large green button, this is the 'rupture' valve which shuts down with excess flow, there is also a button on the regulator. If the pressure in system drops, say if you change a cylinder, or turn off cylinder then turn on hob or such like with gas off, then the system needs resetting. This involves first turn on bottle tap, then pressing large button on pigtail, then using a 'pointed' object, like a pen or key press button on regulator.

I know some moto
I know some motorhomes have a recommendation that Gas should be turned off at the bottles when on the move. And others say it is ok to leave on as they have some system or other that permits the gas to be left on.

How do you know which 'class' your motorhome sits in?
What would be the recommendation for a 2008 Autotrail?
I can’t believe the question was even asked...never mind some of the replies.
Why would you the need the gas on when travelling?
The 12 volt system will keep the fridge cold.

I can’t believe the question was even asked...never mind some of the replies.
Why would you the need the gas on when travelling?
The 12 volt system will keep the fridge cold.
Think a lot of us just dont turn it off on the bottle - and then we just re-light appliances when we stop - only time i actually isolate bottle is when i go to a fuel station and before i get there - also on ferries

So for those that do turn off the gas when driving, how do you keep your water in the depth of winter when antifrost valves tend to dump it when temp is low?
Or am I missing something obvious? I remember loosing all our water when we bought our van. Because we live in it I got rid of that auto valve and put manual one in.

So for those that do turn off the gas when driving, how do you keep your water in the depth of winter when antifrost valves tend to dump it when temp is low?
Or am I missing something obvious? I remember loosing all our water when we bought our van. Because we live in it I got rid of that auto valve and put manual one in.

Not a problem because the water tanks are onboard, the Alde radiators are heated via the engine circulating system and a heat exchanger. We even have a tank of hot water when we arrive. :)

My wife always says she can smell gas, not sure if she is referring to me or the bottle. 😂 hence I turn it off to keep the peace rather than leave it on to get I told you so.:(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back