Garmin POI installation

Canalsman

We provide the files that work with GARMIN devices but, we cannot support installing the files.

1. Download and install the latest version of POILoader from Garmin: POI Loader for Windows Updates & Downloads for Windows or Garmin: POI Loader for Mac Updates & Downloads for Mac.

2. Download the POI zip file and make a note of where you have unzipped the Wild Camping POI files - you will need to access the Garmin folder from POILoader..

poidown.png

3. Connect your Garmin device to your computer using the USB cable. Wait for the device to show it is connected and ready to receive files (Black screen with an ICON at the bottom showing it is connected to the computer.)

4. Run POILoader.

5. Select Garmin Device as Where to save your Points of Interest.

6. Press Next and wait for the program to find your satnav. The satnav will be shown in the box labeled Device:.

7. Press Next. The program will ask the location of the files to be loaded. Use the BROWSE button and select the FOLDER noted in step 2 above.

8. Select the measurement units used for your satnav. Feet and Miles per hour or Meters and Kilometers.

9. The satnav suggests running the program in Automatic. For BASIC file loading, this is sufficient. Press Next.

10. POILoader will begin to convert the POI files and ICONs and load them to your satnav. If POILoader encounters an error with a source file, it will tell you the name of the file POI file containing an error. When finished, POILoader will tell you the number of POI successfully loaded to your device.

11. Disconnect your device using the Stop or Eject USB device.

12. Power up the satnav and select WHERE TO -> EXTRAS and see if CUSTOM POI is displayed. Press CUSTOM POI and you should see a list of all the POI loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
chris thank you for the updated poi files.
i've downloaded the current poi files on to my garmin 205.
is there a way to check that i've got the present files & not the old ones still on my device.
thanks
tony

Hi Tony

Did you use POI Loader to put the POI data onto your 205?

If so, I have to assume that the previous files have been overwritten by the March 2011 set. (Remember that the new release is a complete new set of data and is intended to replace the earlier data.)

Regards

Chris

chris i used the poi loader as you said.
so i can assume i have the march 2011 downloaded.
thanks again for all your work & help.
tony

Hi Canalsman, I've used the Garmin POI downloader and it's telling me that the POIs are successfully installed on my nuvi 255W sat nav, but when I open up the POI folder on the sat nav the Wilding POIs aren't there...??? Thanks. I used a data cable to do the transfer.

Hi Canalsman, I've used the Garmin POI downloader and it's telling me that the POIs are successfully installed on my nuvi 255W sat nav, but when I open up the POI folder on the sat nav the Wilding POIs aren't there...??? Thanks. I used a data cable to do the transfer.

I dont think they appear in the POI folder, they are in the Extras file.

Stu

Brilliant Thanks

The combination of terribly clever tech and committed individuals here has resulted in a thing of beauty.

Thanks Canalsman and al those who have worked on these files and POIs.

Amazing

Rob McM

just tried conecting my nuvi 250w to the pc, wont recognise it, and the same with my laptop. bah.

just tried conecting my nuvi 250w to the pc, wont recognise it, and the same with my laptop. bah.

Jules

Two questions:

1. Are you using the USB lead supplied with the Garmin? Sometimes USB leads are wired oddly ...

2. I presume (daft question) that the Garmin is switched on?

Regards

Chris

Jules

Two questions:

1. Are you using the USB lead supplied with the Garmin? Sometimes USB leads are wired oddly ...

2. I presume (daft question) that the Garmin is switched on?

Regards

Chris

i dont think its the lead that came with it, i will check in the morning to see if one is in the box.

and yup, its on, tried it on, off then on, on, off, on etc.

found another cable that i didnt know i had and it works, fine and dandy. just popping the POI fines in now, then see how it works :)

Garmin Zumo 660

Hi, I followed all the procedure as recommended for the Nuvi and thought it wasn't compatible..........until tonight:hammer:

Having just re-read this thread i realised i hadn't been looking in the right place on the sat-nav

i had been looking in the POI section of the zumo :mad2: but found them just now in the extra's section after pressing 'where to' :bow:

:scooter:

Like Scotsy, I looked in the extra Icon and came up with POI's pressed Poi's and only what I already stored from my personal trips showed up, but No POI'S from the Canalsman inventory. Please help!!!!

Like Scotsy, I looked in the extra Icon and came up with POI's pressed Poi's and only what I already stored from my personal trips showed up, but No POI'S from the Canalsman inventory. Please help!!!!

I can only suggest you double check that you followed the instructions in the link at the beginning of this thread, and take note of the comments later from others who have located the POIs under 'Where To' 'Extras' ...

Regards

Chris

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back