Future value of your motorhome.

MOJO

Free Member
Anyone put any thought in to the future value of their diesel motorhome as the day approaches to have all electric on to the roads.
If we speculate that as leisure vehicles they may have a shelf life of 15 years to the government's target of 2035 then there must come a time when prospective purchasers of your van will place a value based on its usable time left.
Most of us have probably been happy with the low depreciation in times passed but presumably that will not continue. The question is when and how fast the values would fall considering they may all become static caravans from 2035.
When new electric motorhomes come to market would people not be willing to pay a premium to future proof their investment with a marked fall in diesel sales. Perhaps that's when values start to fall faster than usuall?
Many will have to consider if and when they change their method of leisure travel such as caravan and electric car if they want some financial return on their van.
We are thinking to keep our present van untill forced to make it a static and not plow any more money in to further purchases. For us this means our second hand purchase in 2017 for will depreciate to £00.000 over those 18 years to 2035 at a rate of £5,000 per year which equates to £100.00 per week.
It's not all doom and gloom as we will use it extensively over those years for many adventures and enjoy the memories and all travel and leisure activities come with a cost.
Is there a different outcome for our trusty diesel motorhomes?

On any vehicle I work on the assumption it becomes valueless after 10years, so anything I get on selling is a bonus.
Funny enough I have a 40y.o. vehicle which I've (half heartedly) looked into converting to electric as it needs a engine rebuild or new engine.

Fiat announced the new all electric Ducato, the cheapest option at £47,000 only does 99 miles before recharging.
The better one does 199 miles but it costs £60,000.
And of course these prices are just for the vans.
in my honest opinion what may happen is there will be a massive demand for second hand diesels after 2035, and leading up to it.
Yes Technology will improve no doubt.
But will a suitable all electric MOHo with a better range, faster recharge, at a reasonable price be available by 2035, I have my doubts.
Also we have the weight issue what will the batteries weigh, will you be able to build a suitable Moho under 3.5T with sufficient payload.
What may happen is there will be a large demand for diesels before the cut off date, and for second hand diesels after this date.

But bottom line, I am not to worried because sadly I won't be driving large vehicles if I make it to 2035:(

Last edited:
No new petrol or diesel vehicles will be sold after 2035, so there will still be millions of them about after that date, so I’m not too worried, unless I can afford to upgrade to electric before then.

I am of the mind that, much as everyone of Greta Thunberg mentality as well as the greener elements of the governments of the World might want a total stop of internal combustion powered vehicles by 2035, personally I don't believe they have a hope in hell.

As others have posted you can of course convert your existing vehicles to be entirely electric and there are several companies around the UK now who are doing such a thing, but their ranges are limited and the costs are high.

Interestingly enough I have a friend who works for one of the UK based motor manufacturers and he heads up a section of the company with responsiblity for the integration of electrical components in their ranges of hybrid and totally electric vehicles. Only a couple or so weeks ago I asked him if he would be buying either a hybrid or fully electric vehicle yet and he replied "no bloody way, even the very best on the market are in truth an unknown quantity"....... And that says it all to me!

The biggest killer to the motorhome will be low emmission zones meaning in certain locations you won't be able to own a diesel.

London is talking about expanding the ULTRA LEZ meaning electric vehicles only and expanding the congestion charge zone.

This is being done to raise money because London transport is going broke (TFL) you can see this idea catching on in other parts of the country.

They are also talking about stopping the pensioners travel pass.

I thought the price of second hand motorhomes was on the increase at the moment, I still think that the target of 2035 for all vehicles to be electric optimistic.

The future value has never been an issue for me. It is the only vehicle I have bought new in my life and the plan is to run it until it or I am no longer able. I'm up to 120k mls. on it since 2013. The world is going to be such a different place and our lives so changed in the very near future that 2035 is not even on my horizon.

It doesn't take much research and the maths are easy.
Fast charge points at supermarkets. Lets say you spend an hour shopping and getting a fast charge.
So how many watts will be delivered to your car in one hour.
How many 100's of charge points will each supermarket need.
So how big a substation will the supermarket require?
Does the location have that much spare grid capacity.
This is just one supermarket. Just can't see it working.
Do you want to make an investment? Buy shares in Copper, it will soon be very rare!

Probably like anything if you have had good use out of something you have had your moneys worth and just right off the cost - got quite a few share dividends to top up my pension as too young for state one and they have taken a hit bonus is i'm not selling or worried at moment

Do you want to make an investment? Buy shares in Copper, it will soon be very rare!
Or buy diving equipment and get some brass from ww1 wrecks and dont forget to declare to reciever of wreck - quality is better pre atomic tests

Don't want to be all 'doom n gloom' but I will be satisfied if such a thing as 'leisure time' still exists within our society in 2035. Please don't confuse this with me predicting a crash of civilisation, I am not, just that the opportunity to own and use a MH is a luxury in itself and not one too assume we will have in 15 years. I would still buy a diesel personally

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back