Fulltimers wildcamping in UK

Been full timers since 2006 can't say we have ever had a problem with UK winters easier to keep warm than it was in the house. We have never travelled to far from our Norfolk base as I still work but our van is not just for travelling it is our home.

'Obviously one needs to make sure it is drinkable ie no sheep have pissed in it.'

How do you know when a sheep has pissed in the water ?

Water

'Obviously one needs to make sure it is drinkable ie no sheep have pissed in it.'

How do you know when a sheep has pissed in the water ?

You get a yellow warning, but not from the Met Office

Can't see what the problem is if it's a public tap? Presume they mean a cemetery? It can't happen that often as they're usually out of the way.

Living out in a country district before I started travelling I was involved with running the local church. Not only were we responsible as a parish for ALL our running expenses but we had to chip in several thousand every year towards the Church of England running costs. As there were only 160 in the parish this was hard to do. If you companioned they said "Well close the church then"

I have only had water once from a church which I had just visited. They had things for sale and I bought a doz eggs and two nice post of jam, and put a small donation in the door - Next morning I saw the man from next door come to open the church and asked if I could fill with water, and he was quite happy for me to do so. I think water to fill a tank is only pence but I wouldn't do it without asking someone. Not sure if cemeteries are owned by the council

I generally book into a caravan site every once in a while, visit with friends and fill up etc. But my tank is large so if I am VERY careful would last nearly 2 weeks

PS - started travelling in Jan 2014 went straight up to the north of Shetland through Cairngorms, and Orkney, then down West Highland and Outer Hebrides. With the heater inside I wasn't cold, and at that time of year pretty well all the Scottish site swear closed so I was off gird nearly all of the time till June

Dippingatoe,I was hooked on reading your travels,but it all seems to have gone wrong:( I got as far as "Brae" and now the pages will not load :( ?

We have been full timing since 2009. We spent the first winter in the UK but after that we head for Spain. "Costa Calida" is the "warm coast". Inland Spain can be colder than the UK as can France and Italy from experience.

We find that even with 2x130w Solar and 330Ah of batteries the long nights take a toll on power. No we don't live like hermits or spend nights in Bars so need to keep ourselves warm and occupied. At 15:55 (Spanish time) and its 18.4c and has been dry and sunny all day. We left the UK in early December this year due to other commitments but the fog and rain reminded us why we go abroad. We just got into France before storms wreaked havoc in the north of the UK.

Back in April

Dippingatoe,I was hooked on reading your travels,but it all seems to have gone wrong:( I got as far as "Brae" and now the pages will not load :( ?

Huuummmmm. Was this recently or some time ago?

I know the folk who host the first site HOME - The World is my Lobster have been under some sort of cyber attack for the last week or so, but everything seems in order from my end today

Its difficult for me to check as it recognises me as soon as I enter the address. Would you mind having another look and letting me know so I can check what the problem might be

Many thanks
Sue

I know the folk who host the first site HOME - The World is my Lobster have been under some sort of cyber attack for the last week or so, but everything seems in order from my end today

Its difficult for me to check as it recognises me as soon as I enter the address. Would you mind having another look and letting me know so I can check what the problem might be

Many thanks
Sue

Works okay for me.

MoonFruit who host a vast number of sites us included have had problems with a Denial of Service Attack. They were warned on Thursday that if they didn't pay up then they would be shut down. So they shut themselves down instead. I cannot reach the site you mentioned. Their first one is ok but the 2015 one is down. 500 Internal Server Error

Under linux you can use tors which keeps you anoneymouse.:lol-053:

Last edited:
What do you do for administration details where you have to have an address?, Registration of vehicle, with Insurance, Driving licences , medical needs, all of the thing you have to have to exist in this country. The list goes on and if you go abroad there are MOT tests pensions?? Tax authority letters and demands. You know the things that jam my letterbox, with a demand you pay, answer, need. The travelers (Pi***) do not tend to bother with these things but if something like tax and insurance is cancelled you could have it confiscated, then what. You never knew it happened but that is no excuse.
There are loads of people doing it for many reasons but I just cannot see how they keep ahead of things.

Many thanks
Sue

The site works fine for me. I happened to go to page 92 and was surprised to see the aircraft by a croft. i remember it sitting at Sumburgh airport in the mid 80s. It was French and had been written off after a landing gear problem. ASN Aircraft accident 29-MAR-1981 Potez 840 F-BMCY

MoonFruit who host a vast number of sites us included have had problems with a Denial of Service Attack. They were warned on Thursday that if they didn't pay up then they would be shut down. So they shut themselves down instead. I cannot reach the site you mentioned. Their first one is ok but the 2015 one is down. 500 Internal Server Error

Yes there must be a lot of things like this going on. My Wordpress site is hosted by Ezee and they have been installing new stuff and moving servers so they don't get caught out. For the last couple of days its been a bit flaky. Sometimes there and sometimes not. Hopefully they will get it sorted out before long :)

The site works fine for me. I happened to go to page 92 and was surprised to see the aircraft by a croft. i remember it sitting at Sumburgh airport in the mid 80s. It was French and had been written off after a landing gear problem. ASN Aircraft accident 29-MAR-1981 Potez 840 F-BMCY

Thanks for that You can imagine my surprise when I just clocked it across the fields ...... :)

Shetland was great. Because of the earlier post about the missing links I went and started reading that section myself and it brought it all back. I really loved it up there. I did get to see the northern lights one night not far from the airport. Sitting in the ruins of The Jarlshof at midnight.

Most of the links seemed to work for me though some are missing. I will go back sometime and tidy it up, but if you come across a page with no forward link just click the brown box at the top left hand corner of the page which takes you back to the main menu.

I am not much of a 'techie' with all of this and find it hard :(

What do you do for administration details where you have to have an address?, Registration of vehicle, with Insurance, Driving licences , medical needs, all of the thing you have to have to exist in this country. The list goes on and if you go abroad there are MOT tests pensions?? Tax authority letters and demands. You know the things that jam my letterbox, with a demand you pay, answer, need. The travelers (Pi***) do not tend to bother with these things but if something like tax and insurance is cancelled you could have it confiscated, then what. You never knew it happened but that is no excuse.
There are loads of people doing it for many reasons but I just cannot see how they keep ahead of things.

+1, how are you all managing this?

Their are various ways ie use a relatives or friends address as your own, helpful if they also allow you to go on the electoral list or there are several companies like Boatmail that provide a residential address and various other services, My parents have a granny annexe so we are registered there and on the electoral list so all should be well for us, if not using proper full timers insurance which it seems a lot of us don't and it is not always available (age and price of vehicle dependant) you have to be a bit careful what is said when applying etc, most other things they are happy with a care of address,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back