Fulltimers wildcamping in UK

Angelwitch

Are there any members who are fulltimers out there? We sold up and moved into the van 3 months ago.Idea being to follow coastroad around UK, but we get side tracked! We will probably do this for another 18 months and then maybe try out a ferry for warmer climes, who knows , we have no firm plans apart from finding real ale pubs!:cheers::

Good luck with that, full timing in an English Winter must be Hell , get a Ferry to France and on down to Spain and Portugal, cheaper and warmer , that is if circumstances allow of course.

Are there any members who are fulltimers out there?

Yes! Almost! Hello! :cool:

I say almost because I'm still finishing off our LDV Convoy luton van motorhome conversion. Parked up in a friend's field (technically a CL that rarely gets used!) in Worcestershire with the caravan next to it but now living in the van properly (caravan has now become the tool store!).

Heading to Wales for Christmas and New Year to give the wild camping life a try out, then plans for more UK touring in the New Year, then on to Europe!

The van is self sufficient with power, heat, good water storage, fixed bed, shower, toilet, etc. Very much looking forward to 2016 :D

Rich.

Hello Vindiboy,so far not too cold! really want to see all of UK before going abroad,also its breaking the kids in gently that i'm not around my youngest is only 18 and had a bit of a ''wobble'' about it :(

Hello too,BeyondTheVan......wow,sounds good wish we had skills to self build! we may bump into each other next year then. Going 'home' for Christmas,starting to wind our way back now,due to pressure from children.After new year we are thinking of kicking off in Berwick-upon-Tweed area and going up and around Scotland until April time..............could be a snowy time!!

Hello too,BeyondTheVan......wow,sounds good wish we had skills to self build! we may bump into each other next year then. Going 'home' for Christmas,starting to wind our way back now,due to pressure from children.After new year we are thinking of kicking off in Berwick-upon-Tweed area and going up and around Scotland until April time..............could be a snowy time!!

Hi if you get near Banfff/Macduff, we could meet for tea/coffee.

Hello Vindiboy,so far not too cold! really want to see all of UK before going abroad,also its breaking the kids in gently that i'm not around my youngest is only 18 and had a bit of a ''wobble'' about it :(
I love my van Summer or Winter but would definitely want electric if living in it in Winter in UK, I hope you enjoy your adventure, and it works out for you, it is a great way of life with the extra freedom it gives you , have fun.

full time

I have been totally off grid for 5 months now do not have a solar panel just a 120 battery not had any problems as of yet has for not coping with the British weather my van is a lot warmer than my house ever was , I'm down in Cornwall at the moment and will be till the end of January hardest thing for me is finding fresh water I know of only 4 taps in and around bude. Been on a camping site only once other than at two wildcamping.co.uk meets cannot say enything bad about being on the road and wish I had done it 30 years ago

Good luck to all you full timers. I love my van but not sure about a total gypsy life.
If you are struggling for water have you tried church yards, sometimes there is an outside tap. Also, when I was travelling I bought the 5 ltre bottles from a supermarket which is quite cheap for drinking and river water for washing and toilet.

Can't see what the problem is if it's a public tap? Presume they mean a cemetery? It can't happen that often as they're usually out of the way.

Yes, now almost exactly a year full timing for me. No downsides whatsoever - with a decent van the cold is totally irrelevant; in fact there is no better feeling than being cosy and warm while all hell is breaking loose outside. I very rarely use campsites, have a Gaslow system, proper winterisation and a decent solar panel. Most of my time is in England, but I've passed through eight other countries with no issues whatsoever. A wonderful way to live in every respect.

Last edited:
Are there any members who are fulltimers out there? We sold up and moved into the van 3 months ago.Idea being to follow coastroad around UK, but we get side tracked! We will probably do this for another 18 months and then maybe try out a ferry for warmer climes, who knows , we have no firm plans apart from finding real ale pubs!:cheers::

Sounds fab and just what we had planned from tomorrow when we rent our house out. However we are in Cumbria and the floods have caused major devastation. God knows where we are going to stay. All local wild camp sites unsafe or flooded. Feeling pissed off! Totally.

Wildcamping in the U.K. vs Europe

I am new to this forum, glad I found it though, some cool people and information here. I will post some brief information on my experiences. In brief, I have travelled around mostly Europe, on an off, for several weeks at a time, over a period of 20 plus years, either backpacking, cycling, hitchhiking or more recently motor-homing in a variety of vans, such as a Peugeot Partner, Peugeot Expert, Renault Master type vans and hopefully soon to acquite Fiat Ducato van or similar wide bodied vehicle.

What I look for when "wild camping" is firstly : safety : can I park up somewhere without being either 1) arrested, 2) robbed or 3) hassled. Second on my list comes water, ie access to clean drinking water. Is there a source of nearby water from which I can fill up water containers ? In France it is easy with camping aires and the like, that country is superbly set up for the Camping-Caravanner-Motorhomer. However, in the U.K., it is not set up like this at all. So, water access is way more complicated, but not impossible. In my view, large motorhomes/vans in U.K. cities is a nightmare. Parking risks/clamping/fines. I can't be bothered with cities. OK, one can use the Camping and Caravanning Club's sites, (which are well equipped), but this is going way off-topic as this website is I believe all about "wild camping" ie off the grid, and since I have a lot of experience "off-grid" or "wild-camping", I shall stick to this.

Water can be got from rivers and streams : since it rains so much in the U.K., obtaining decent freshwater should never be a problem. Think of places like Dartmoor, Exmoor, Brecon Beacons, Peak District, Lake District, Forestof Bowland etc etc.......all these places have myriad opportunities for copious quantities of fresh water. Obviously one needs to make sure it is drinkable ie no sheep have pissed in it. Boil it if in doubt, or use iodine.........How can one fill up the massive water tanks in a van quickly from a river or stream. Think of a cyphon system. Length of long hose needed. Not everyone can carry 20 litre plus jerry cans hundreds of meters from river or stream back to your van. Given industrial quantities of U.K. rainfall, you could try capturing rainwater ! I think either Wales or Scotland are probably the best places for wild camping in the U.K. as there are less people there.

In France, water is available on camping aires (sometimes you must pay a small amount ie € 5). I have also found public water taps in normal car parks. Any village, town or city that was Roman would normally have a public fountain. Sometimes these are hard to find. I had to search hard in Lyon in France to find one this summer (it was by the river). I had to ask locals where there was one. In Spain, water is easily obtained pretty much everywhere. Because of the former massive presence of Romans in Spain, pretty much every city without exception has a public water supply meaning fountain ("fuente de agua (potable)")

Safety wise, I actually feel most safe wild camping in France, the countryside and mountains have a calm and safe feeling about them. The beaches, from the border with Spain up to the north, are starting to have some restrictions placed on them viz a viz moter homes. I was down south of Bordeaux this summer and upon reading the local paper discovered that the local police were starting to clamp down on wild camping in none "camping-aire" locations.

Here is a secret bit of information which I shall reveal to this community : apparently, if you park up your vehicle on the car park of a shop/supermarket overnight, the police cannot touch you because it is private property. Example : car park of "Carrefour" supermarket. They are a large private company. The French police have no jurisdiction on their car parks. Same applies to Auchan, Decathlon, Lidl, Aldi........Ikea......some places have HUGE car parks........and I have seen some places have a dozen large motorhomes parked up overnight. Nobody bats an eyelid. It is normal over there !! La vida bella !! I can't imagine being able to do this in the U.K., let alone feeling safe doing so.

Regarding electricity, best to have solar/wind/large batteries..........sometimes difficult to get power unless you pasy for it.

Regarding weather, and after having talked about safety and water a fair bit, weather is something I could go on about for years. I will cut straight to the chase. The weather in the British winter is just horribly DEPRESSING. Why ? Well, I think that the absence of decent amounts of sunshine, too much wind pretty much all the time, grey skies, too much rain. But the absolutely worst thing is NO SUNSHINE. For this reason, U.K. wild camping between October and March is a big no no. I would consider only really south of Bordeaux for some sunshine, Pyreness can have some nice snowy and sunny weather if you like skiing. Wild camping in Spain in the winter is OK, pretty much all the way from Valencia down to Tarifa is good. The warmest spot being the coastline between Denia and Alicante with Calpe of particular note. The west coast of Portugal is going to be windier and greyer with the sea colder. If you don't like rain you might consider Europes only desert. This is the area around Almeria. If you are a person that likes skiing like me and sunshine, I would recommend the Italian Dolomites where they have 300 days a year of sunshine which is probably where I will be in early 2016.

Reference water in the mountains, now we are talking........How about the purest, best water possible, naturally filtered by rocks and vegetation, absolutely pure. Just make sure no sheep have pissed in it higher up the slope. Think snow melt-water etc. Where there is snow, there can always be water as snow is just a colder version of water !!

That's me done for the moment. Would appreciate any feedback or questions.

Yes, now almost exactly a year full timing for me. No downsides whatsoever - with a decent van the cold is totally irrelevant; in fact there is no better feeling than being cosy and warm while all hell is breaking loose outside. I very rarely use campsites, have a Gaslow system, proper winterisation and a decent solar panel. Most of my time is in England, but I've passed through eight other countries with no issues whatsoever. A wonderful way to live in every respect.

What van you got? Where you got planned over winter?

quote ''Reference water in the mountains, now we are talking........How about the purest, best water possible, naturally filtered by rocks and vegetation, absolutely pure. Just make sure no sheep have pissed in it higher up the slope. Think snow melt-water etc. Where there is snow, there can always be water as snow is just a colder version of water !! I agree about the water but you also have to be aware that Farmers are using a lot of chemicals and these can leech into water sources so be a bit careful about that, as kids we used to drink from local streams and thought if the water was running over gravel it was OK to drink, well it must have been I am still here 60 years on Hee Hee. I have caught rain water run off from the roof of my van in the past and filtered it for use in the van tank, I wouldn't drink it straight but boiled is OK, when in Portugal early this year lots of vanners were catching rain water and this was on an Aire where there was a water tap ??

fulltiming

hello angel witch...........I been full timing for 2.5 years now, in a trigano tribute 2.3 jtd...theres at least 4 methods of heating it........I cannot see the problem of overwintering in uk, it obviously depends what motorhome you got, and what heating etc, and there are some newer vans now coming along which have better designed insulation eg kingham or timberland etc....my advice would be to get one with gas heating, and of course if you are looking at newer stuff, not really necessary, you are looking at more hefty prices, but if you sell a house or anything, fulltiming can save a hell of a lot on running........pughed2

I am new to this forum, glad I found it though, some cool people and information here. I will post some brief information on my experiences. In brief, I have travelled around mostly Europe, on an off, for several weeks at a time, over a period of 20 plus years, either backpacking, cycling, hitchhiking or more recently motor-homing in a variety of vans, such as a Peugeot Partner, Peugeot Expert, Renault Master type vans and hopefully soon to acquite Fiat Ducato van or similar wide bodied vehicle.

What I look for when "wild camping" is firstly : safety : can I park up somewhere without being either 1) arrested, 2) robbed or 3) hassled. Second on my list comes water, ie access to clean drinking water. Is there a source of nearby water from which I can fill up water containers ? In France it is easy with camping aires and the like, that country is superbly set up for the Camping-Caravanner-Motorhomer. However, in the U.K., it is not set up like this at all. So, water access is way more complicated, but not impossible. In my view, large motorhomes/vans in U.K. cities is a nightmare. Parking risks/clamping/fines. I can't be bothered with cities. OK, one can use the Camping and Caravanning Club's sites, (which are well equipped), but this is going way off-topic as this website is I believe all about "wild camping" ie off the grid, and since I have a lot of experience "off-grid" or "wild-camping", I shall stick to this.

Water can be got from rivers and streams : since it rains so much in the U.K., obtaining decent freshwater should never be a problem. Think of places like Dartmoor, Exmoor, Brecon Beacons, Peak District, Lake District, Forestof Bowland etc etc.......all these places have myriad opportunities for copious quantities of fresh water. Obviously one needs to make sure it is drinkable ie no sheep have pissed in it. Boil it if in doubt, or use iodine.........How can one fill up the massive water tanks in a van quickly from a river or stream. Think of a cyphon system. Length of long hose needed. Not everyone can carry 20 litre plus jerry cans hundreds of meters from river or stream back to your van. Given industrial quantities of U.K. rainfall, you could try capturing rainwater ! I think either Wales or Scotland are probably the best places for wild camping in the U.K. as there are less people there.

In France, water is available on camping aires (sometimes you must pay a small amount ie € 5). I have also found public water taps in normal car parks. Any village, town or city that was Roman would normally have a public fountain. Sometimes these are hard to find. I had to search hard in Lyon in France to find one this summer (it was by the river). I had to ask locals where there was one. In Spain, water is easily obtained pretty much everywhere. Because of the former massive presence of Romans in Spain, pretty much every city without exception has a public water supply meaning fountain ("fuente de agua (potable)")

Safety wise, I actually feel most safe wild camping in France, the countryside and mountains have a calm and safe feeling about them. The beaches, from the border with Spain up to the north, are starting to have some restrictions placed on them viz a viz moter homes. I was down south of Bordeaux this summer and upon reading the local paper discovered that the local police were starting to clamp down on wild camping in none "camping-aire" locations.

Here is a secret bit of information which I shall reveal to this community : apparently, if you park up your vehicle on the car park of a shop/supermarket overnight, the police cannot touch you because it is private property. Example : car park of "Carrefour" supermarket. They are a large private company. The French police have no jurisdiction on their car parks. Same applies to Auchan, Decathlon, Lidl, Aldi........Ikea......some places have HUGE car parks........and I have seen some places have a dozen large motorhomes parked up overnight. Nobody bats an eyelid. It is normal over there !! La vida bella !! I can't imagine being able to do this in the U.K., let alone feeling safe doing so.

Regarding electricity, best to have solar/wind/large batteries..........sometimes difficult to get power unless you pasy for it.

Regarding weather, and after having talked about safety and water a fair bit, weather is something I could go on about for years. I will cut straight to the chase. The weather in the British winter is just horribly DEPRESSING. Why ? Well, I think that the absence of decent amounts of sunshine, too much wind pretty much all the time, grey skies, too much rain. But the absolutely worst thing is NO SUNSHINE. For this reason, U.K. wild camping between October and March is a big no no. I would consider only really south of Bordeaux for some sunshine, Pyreness can have some nice snowy and sunny weather if you like skiing. Wild camping in Spain in the winter is OK, pretty much all the way from Valencia down to Tarifa is good. The warmest spot being the coastline between Denia and Alicante with Calpe of particular note. The west coast of Portugal is going to be windier and greyer with the sea colder. If you don't like rain you might consider Europes only desert. This is the area around Almeria. If you are a person that likes skiing like me and sunshine, I would recommend the Italian Dolomites where they have 300 days a year of sunshine which is probably where I will be in early 2016.

Reference water in the mountains, now we are talking........How about the purest, best water possible, naturally filtered by rocks and vegetation, absolutely pure. Just make sure no sheep have pissed in it higher up the slope. Think snow melt-water etc. Where there is snow, there can always be water as snow is just a colder version of water !!

That's me done for the moment. Would appreciate any feedback or questions.

An excellent first post buffalo which raises some pertinent points regarding wild camping both in the UK and Europe.I have filled up using my 2 watering cans in some highland rivers when running short of water.After once seeing a sheep carcass in a Scottish stream I always walk upstream for a couple of hundred metres to check first before taking any water from the river.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back