French Speeding fine increased & Royal Mail!

REC

Just got back to UK and found we have a speeding fine dated 10/1 but, as away, have only just got it. It has been increased from 45 euros to 180 euros as not paid in time!
my question is, can I argue it as not at home address to get the fine? Can prove this with tunnel tickets.

My other gripe is that b***y Royal Mail were paid to redirect my post and didnt, except for one bundle in April covering four weeks mail. Have I a case to claim it back from them since I would have been told of the fine if they had done as contracted? Have photos of the piles of mail sitting on my mat when we got back this evening! Also had car tax lapse, and an insurance not renewed. In the pile of mail was also several letters for my neighbour, including their bank cards!

Last edited:
RM mail forwarding is expensive did you pay for more than the 4 wks. Good job your tax ran out as a taxed car without insurance could have got you another fine. Let us know how you get on appealing the French ticket

RM mail forwarding is expensive did you pay for more than the 4 wks. Good job your tax ran out as a taxed car without insurance could have got you another fine. Let us know how you get on appealing the French ticket
Yes paid for four months! Feel the royal mail should pay the excess fine. Can't see I have grounds for appeal to French as we obviously were 5km/hr over limit! ( well, Dave was!) And can't see anywhere I can appeal on the grounds that we were still out of country.
Completely avoidable if RM had done as contracted.

I don’t think 4 months is one of the redirection options offered, so perhaps you should check exactly what dates you paid for before taking this up with them.

If you were having your mail redirected outside the UK the Royal Mail are not allowed to forward signed for, tracked and special guaranteed delivery items.

Royal Mail keep tabs on how many claims an individual makes and limits claims made, despite any guarantees given when sent Recorded or Special Delivery.

In a 3 year period I sent over 3x thousand items sold on Ebay, anything £20 - £50 was sent Recorded Delivery, anything over that was sent Special Delivery.
I made four claims for lost Recorded items in that 3 year period, I then made a claim for a lost Special Delivery, they twice refused to honour the guarantee, even after threatening small claims court.
It was only when I told them that I was an ex postie at South Manchester PSO for five years that they honoured the guarantee. Great that they look after their own but very unfair to the public at large.

I think I have made two claims for Special Delivery items. Both paid without any problem once the tracking codes provided.

An untaxed car that hasn't been officially SORNed is the same as a taxed car ref insurance requirements.

Read what I said before replying keeping a taxed car without insurance has been a offence since 2011
Oh I read the dodgy info...

FYI
"What happens if you do not get a SORN?
You will get an Insurance Advisory Letter if your car does not appear on the Motor Insurance Database (MID), a record of all insured cars in the UK.

The letter will tell you that your car is uninsured and that you face a fine if you do not either arrange insurance and tax or register your car with a SORN. If you ignore this letter you could face:
  • A fixed penalty of £100
  • Your vehicle being clamped, impounded or destroyed
  • A court prosecution, with a fine of up to £1,000
"

PS. you forgot to post the clive mott fuse link for the car that is not being used ;)

Just got back to UK and found we have a speeding fine dated 10/1 but, as away, have only just got it. It has been increased from 45 euros to 180 euros as not paid in time!
my question is, can I argue it as not at home address to get the fine? Can prove this with tunnel tickets.

I got a ticket in France in 2018 and because we were away and we didnt get the notice when we returned to our French house either it went up to €180. I succesfully appealed and just paid the original amount.

Suggest a letter in French to the office in Rennes enclosing a payment for the original amount.

See https://www.automobile-club.org/con...bsence-demandez-le-retour-a-l-amende-initiale
Or look at https://www.amendes.gouv.fr/tai
Maybe a tad easier for us with a Frenchaddress and French registered MH

Ian

If it helps the following is my schoolboy French that got a result:
Objet: Reference de l’avis d’amende xxxxxxxxxxxx

Madame, Monsieur,

Récemment, nous sommes rentrés chez nous, après un long voyage, pour trouver deux lettres datées de vous le xx Février 20xx et le xx Juillet 20xx.

Il s’agissait de la première indication de l’amende environ onze mois (xx Février 20xx a xx Février 20xx) après la contravention.

Je pense que c'est injuste dans les circonstances et j'espère que vous pourrez examiner cette affaire.

Malheureusement, j’ai le sentiment que je suis peut-être en faute en joignant un chèque à l’amende et en espérant que, dans les circonstances, J’attache.

Je me tiens à votre entière disposition pour tous renseignements complémentaires et vous prie, Madame, Monsieur, d'agréer l'expression de mes respectueuses salutations.

Respectueusement,

• Thank You
Reactions: REC
had a spanish speeding ticket this year almost an annual event but this year there was a different wording ie 30 days from receipt of the notice not 30 days from the issue as it has in previous years,

Reactions: REC
I don’t think 4 months is one of the redirection options offered, so perhaps you should check exactly what dates you paid for before taking this up with them.
paid same as six months but specified end date, post was forwarded ( or should have been!) to our son in UK.

Misunderstanding...it was the car we left at home off-road which had the tax run out. But Mot also ran out end Feb, being done Monday and retaxed after.Insured all the time. Till then using campervan.

Royal Mail keep tabs on how many claims an individual makes and limits claims made, despite any guarantees given when sent Recorded or Special Delivery.

In a 3 year period I sent over 3x thousand items sold on Ebay, anything £20 - £50 was sent Recorded Delivery, anything over that was sent Special Delivery.
I made four claims for lost Recorded items in that 3 year period, I then made a claim for a lost Special Delivery, they twice refused to honour the guarantee, even after threatening small claims court.
It was only when I told them that I was an ex postie at South Manchester PSO for five years that they honoured the guarantee. Great that they look after their own but very unfair to the public at large.
I'm still waiting for my set of 6 little bath duck companions to arrive, please hurry...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back