French Speeding fine increased & Royal Mail!

I think that it’s an automatic fine if a vehicle is neither taxed nor sorned. Link

i dont know how this will work out at the moment with legal permission have been granted to delay all MOTs for 3 months is it? Without an MOT we cant tax a vehicle..... interesting situation
just to clarify the situation

HGVs (not heavy Motorhomes, proper HGVs) have had their MOTs extended by 3 months
Cars, vans under 3.5t, and motorhomes (including PHGV Motorhomes) have had their MOTs extended by 6 months - so the MOT is still valid and just as before, just given an extra automatic 6 months

But .... the 6 month extension only applies if the MOT is valid and was due on the 31st March or later. So any car (or motorhome) whose MOT expired on 30th March or before will need a new MOT to be legal on the road, and to be able to be taxed.
It is still possible to get MOTs carried out and vehicles repaired, but the extension was to reduce the need to go out to garages to get MOTs done (which was good I think considering the massively reduced mileage most people are doing. My car did just 104 miles last month)

Last edited:
My MOT expired end Feb. But as Royal Mail did not redirect my post, I missed the tax renewal reminders. I made an appointment for MOT before leaving Portugal. I couldnrtn notice as I didn't have the vehicle logwith me

I have on several occasions redirected mail. It is and still is my understanding any government letters cannot be redirected within their policy. I say this as I have received all my mail elsewhere, except government mail which had been delivered in my house on return. Please correct me if I am wrong

Hi All and Happy Lockdown!
Besides the motorhome I own 2 motorcycles insured on a single multi-bike policy. This is renewed in July each year.
ALL of the following is true ....
About 3 years ago, at the end of November I received a letter from DVLA informing me that my scooter wasn't insured and didn't appear on the MID (motor insurance database). I checked on the MID and sure enough the scooter didn't appear but the Harley did!
I contacted my insurance people informing them of the problem. They assured me that I was insured for both bikes and they would re-enter my details on the MID.
Mid December: Another letter from DVLA informing me that my scooter wasn't insured. Another call to my insurance. "We'll re-enter your details onto the MID".
Mid January: A £100 fixed penalty fine drops through the letter box. I ignore it and again contact my insurance people to again be told that my scooter was insured and they would again re-enter my details onto the MID.
Every couple of weeks more threatening letters arrived until July.
Coming up to Easter. Another fine drops through the letter box.
This time I start kicking off. Insurance ombudsman, MID data people, anyone I can think of who might be capable of sorting this. I contacted the police explaining my predicament to be told that if my bike wasn't on the MID and they couldn't, at that moment, get in touch with my insurance, they would seise the bike!
I was told by MID operators that they were experiencing problems at the moment but expected to get back to normal in a couple of weeks.
May came (and went): Another fine, more contacting DVLA and insurance company.
June came (and went): Received more hassle but did receive a cheque from insurers for half the amount I had paid last July and a sorry, but they still couldn't get the scooter onto the MID!
July came: I switched insurance companies and .... both bikes were then on the MID. Thank God!

Morel of this story ... DO NOT TRUST THE MID! Every time I leave home on a longish trip I now check the MID before setting off.
I hope this never happens to anyone else, but I fear it has and will again!

Sounds like remarkable incompetence on the part of that insurer. The last time I had a motor trade policy, I could have any number of vehicles on it, subject to a max value of a single vehicle and possibly a total value limit.
But I recall very well that when I wanted to add/remove a vehicle, I would just log onto the MID database and add/delete the registration. 5 minute job, instant result and a very easy process.

I have on several occasions redirected mail. It is and still is my understanding any government letters cannot be redirected within their policy. I say this as I have received all my mail elsewhere, except government mail which had been delivered in my house on return. Please correct me if I am wrong
I did not know that, will check! But the French one and many many others should still have been redirected? I am pretty certain that government ones have been redirected in the past though.

Doesn't make it very clear! Says "may have to inform authorities"

Is there any mail you can’t redirect?
We can’t redirect:

• Mail for people who weren’t living at the old address
  • Personal mail from a business address
  • Items addressed ‘To the occupier’
  • Mail delivered by other delivery services or couriers, including Parcelforce
  • Mail from a nursing home, boarding house, hotel, student hall of residence, hospital or other multi-occupied premises
  • Mail from a British Forces Post Office (BFPO) address
  • Items to an address outside the UK that are larger than letter size or clearly contain goods
  • Restricted goods sent in the UK using Royal Mail Tracked 24® and Royal Mail Tracked 48®
  • Any mail the law prohibits us from redirecting. For example we may be required to notify the authorities of Redirection requests for mail relating to government benefits.
Find out more about Redirection terms and conditions.
Find out more about Business Redirection terms and conditions.

Sounds like remarkable incompetence on the part of that insurer. The last time I had a motor trade policy, I could have any number of vehicles on it, subject to a max value of a single vehicle and possibly a total value limit.
But I recall very well that when I wanted to add/remove a vehicle, I would just log onto the MID database and add/delete the registration. 5 minute job, instant result and a very easy process.
Aviva

Some years back I had a problem with Coop Insurance. I renewed my motorhome insurance and received the documents. A few months later I noticed the direct debit had not gone out and phoned them to be told that my insurance had run out at the renewal date. Muppet 1 had not applied the direct debit, Muppet 2 had cancelled the policy and no one had bothered to tell me. Muppets 3 the one I was talking to said they had no way of checking what documents had been sent out. I had not been insured for 3 months but they would issue a new policy. Complete incompetence and computer systems with no built in checks. Completely useless as proved when the Coop Bank (which included their insurance arm) fell over shortly after.

My MOT expired end Feb. But as Royal Mail did not redirect my post, I missed the tax renewal reminders. I made an appointment for MOT before leaving Portugal. I couldnrtn notice as I didn't have the vehicle logwith me
As far as I'm aware you no longer get renewal reminders from the government about mots or tax.
My mot has been extended to 18th Oct.. was due 18th April, they auto retaxed it 1st may.

As far as I'm aware you no longer get renewal reminders from the government about mots or tax.
My mot has been extended to 18th Oct.. was due 18th April, they auto retaxed it 1st may.
Hi Chris. You do get reminders regarding Tax. I have a reminder sat in front of me waiting to be paid. I can't pay it as my MOT runs out on 31st May, as does the Tax, but I can't renew as Gov haven't yet (so it says on website) added 6 months! I can't Tax without MOT. I'm booked in for a service this Friday but no MOT station open for motorcycles here (according to dealer). If I still can't Tax it by 31st., I'll be riding without Tax.

Hi Chris. You do get reminders regarding Tax. I have a reminder sat in front of me waiting to be paid. I can't pay it as my MOT runs out on 31st May, as does the Tax, but I can't renew as Gov haven't yet (so it says on website) added 6 months! I can't Tax without MOT. I'm booked in for a service this Friday but no MOT station open for motorcycles here (according to dealer). If I still can't Tax it by 31st., I'll be riding without Tax.
My tax reminder was " your direct debit of £165 will be taken shortly " I had no mot or a reminder that it had expired and when i looked on the .gov site it said the mot date had been extended by 6 months. (I did know it was out in April though)

We live in ours.

Doesn't make it very clear! Says "may have to inform authorities"

Is there any mail you can’t redirect?
We can’t redirect:

• Mail for people who weren’t living at the old address
  • Personal mail from a business address
  • Items addressed ‘To the occupier’
  • Mail delivered by other delivery services or couriers, including Parcelforce
  • Mail from a nursing home, boarding house, hotel, student hall of residence, hospital or other multi-occupied premises
  • Mail from a British Forces Post Office (BFPO) address
  • Items to an address outside the UK that are larger than letter size or clearly contain goods
  • Restricted goods sent in the UK using Royal Mail Tracked 24® and Royal Mail Tracked 48®
  • Any mail the law prohibits us from redirecting. For example we may be required to notify the authorities of Redirection requests for mail relating to government benefits.
Find out more about Redirection terms and conditions.
Find out more about Business Redirection terms and conditions.
Yes, to the above I am reading on last bullet point, over the period I’m talking about. I was disputing Tax related issues and a previous government pension issue. All of which were in my letter box as well as to my surprise a part rebate. All other mail was redirected.

My tax reminder was " your direct debit of £165 will be taken shortly " I had no mot or a reminder that it had expired and when i looked on the .gov site it said the mot date had been extended by 6 months. (I did know it was out in April though)

We live in ours.
Ah, thanks Chris for clarifying that if you have signed up for direct debit, you don't get the V11 reminder. Interesting.
Nobody gets anything from me on a rolling direct debit. My Mum was a Yorkshire lass and taught me well!

Ah, thanks Chris for clarifying that if you have signed up for direct debit, you don't get the V11 reminder. Interesting.
Nobody gets anything from me on a rolling direct debit. My Mum was a Yorkshire lass and taught me well!
I did not see the dd for the scooter and only knew the mot was out when I got a gov letter say they were unable to tax it until it got a mot.
I did the mot and they automatically taxed it , I was going to sorn it but they beat me to it so I just left it taxed and tested in the garage covered in they rest of my stuff.
I have limited space for paperwork and my computer skills aren't up to much.........

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back