France Lockdown

You have to look a further than just the overall density of a countries population. :)

Country size and densities are a tricky way to compare as well.
Russia is the biggest country in the world by far. It only less than twice the population of the UK - so their density is way less. But their REAL deaths/100,000 from Covid is one of the worst in the world (worst than the UK), so how to work out the "whys" will take a long time and lot more info and analysis then anyone here will; be doing.

Again I agree. I would still like to have their advantage of sparse population on our side.

Having said that I have no idea how many of Russia's cases are in very densely populated cities. At the end of the day, I agree with @witzend and all international travel should be stopped. It would be a logistical nightmare handling and distributing essential imports from the ports but these are times of emergency.

and 2.5 or so UKs will fit into France as well, if that matters?

UK’s will fit into France = 2.3 if that matters? Then there are Crown dependencies outside of the U.K. like the Bailiwick of Guernsey, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Isle of Man?

We have ‘British passports’ and despite our differences we still hang on to our Britishness, although I completely understand why the ‘Bailiwicks’ refuse to pay VAT after being abandoned when invaded (another story).

Unlike the ‘Bailiwicks’ the Isle of Man is nowhere nearly as densely populated and that’s why I prefer to go with the ‘small country’ analogy rather than “small island”. I thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="Robmac, post: 1178180, member: 21925"

At the end of the day, I agree with @witzend and all international travel should be stopped. It would be a logistical nightmare handling and distributing essential imports from the ports but these are times of emergency.
[/QUOTE]
Perhaps I should have said
All non essential travel

Personally, I think summer was always out if you were sensible, maybe autumn, just maybe 😁
But the way things are going, it is a big maybe
I think we should just totally forget about going into mainland Europe this year, and possibly into next year if the winter escalates the virus. The lack of jabs and vaccines in Europe is going to cause a war of words and accusations between governments .......So, to quote Basil......"Don't mention the war, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it" .

I think we should just totally forget about going into mainland Europe this year, and possibly into next year if the winter escalates the virus. The lack of jabs and vaccines in Europe is going to cause a war of words and accusations between governments .......So, to quote Basil......"Don't mention the war, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it" .
Maybe but I am currently in Spain (ferry back to the UK on Saturday) and have been all winter and can say that people here take the rules very seriously (well, outside Madrid they do!) and the vaccination programme is proceeding well. Admitedly, they are behind the UK and it is the over 70 age group that is being vaccinated now but they are aiming at 70% of adults by July and may well make it. Rates of infection are low now - comparable with the UK. I cannot speak for other European countries but we have booked our regular campsite for November and am fairly confident we will make it - assuming that Boris lets us out, that is! :)

Better not go on MF and say that they will linch you. They are already chomping at the bit ready to book ferries ASAP

Last edited:
I read the other day, that in France, you need 3 steps to get the jab
1 go to DR for prescription
2 go to chemist for prescription
3 go back to DR for jab
Not sure if it is free for French citizens
No, that’s not right, you don’t need to visit your Dr.
When you are eligible ( age or medical history ) you can go to ( or phone) your local pharmacy ( if they are giving the jabs) to make an appointment, or, as I did, go online and book an appointment at a local vaccination centre.

Maybe but I am currently in Spain (ferry back to the UK on Saturday) and have been all winter and can say that people here take the rules very seriously (well, outside Madrid they do!) and the vaccination programme is proceeding well. Admitedly, they are behind the UK and it is the over 70 age group that is being vaccinated now but they are aiming at 70% of adults by July and may well make it. Rates of infection are low now - comparable with the UK. I cannot speak for other European countries but we have booked our regular campsite for November and am fairly confident we will make it - assuming that Boris lets us out, that is! :)
I assume you won't have had your vaccination yet .

I assume you won't have had your vaccination yet .
No - when our surgery contacted us we told them that we wouldn't be back and out of isolation until early April and they told us to contact them when we got back to arrange the vaccination. We could have had it in Spain but decided not to because we would have left before the second dose. We assumed a 12 week gap but later found out that Spain is only leaving 3 weeks between doses, so we could have had it after all!

I think we should just totally forget about going into mainland Europe this year, and possibly into next year if the winter escalates the virus. The lack of jabs and vaccines in Europe is going to cause a war of words and accusations between governments
Started I think 40 Brits allowed out of Manchester airport where sent back from Spain and told just because UK says OK doesn't mean Spain will accept you

I really can’t see why people would be travelling internationally at the moment. Whatever their reason, surely they know there is a pandemic and mainland Europe is still lagging behind with vaccines and have far too many new cases to think about accepting travellers.
Common sense should tell you to stay at home ( or, local, as it is now.
I’m afraid I have no sympathy for any of them.

Started I think 40 Brits allowed out of Manchester airport where sent back from Spain and told just because UK says OK doesn't mean Spain will accept you

I really can’t see why people would be travelling internationally at the moment. Whatever their reason, surely they know there is a pandemic and mainland Europe is still lagging behind with vaccines and have far too many new cases to think about accepting travellers.

That article is to do with the new TIE residency status required for Spain and nothing to do with covid restrictions.

It appears one of the British passengers with Spanish residency was flying out to Spain to visit her sick father, which, if true, is a shame.
This seems to be a problem local to Spain and folk transferring over to the new residency system since the B word. Overzealous border guards, perhaps?

Also, I'd take nearly all meedja reports, whatever medium they appear in, with a large pinch of salt ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like they just found a new variant in France (Brittany).

The worrying factor then is what happens when they find one that the current vaccines do not work on?

I think , if you read the article, they mostly had residency in Spain but not the new TIE cards which are really slow at being rolled out. Portugal have instigated a system where a number is allocated as soon as the residence is accepted and border guards take this as proof. All residence certificates were initially issued with "European Citizen" and now have to be exchanged to show residence but not EU. Many were turned back in Spain before as they hadn't got the new documents and there was confusion about what documents are acceptable. Reducing it to an individual airport guards decision does seem a bit haphazard! And for someone with very sick parent, and having residency seems harsh and unjustifiable....if the media report is accurate.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back