France Lockdown

mark61

Seems that the Kent variant is the most prevalent over on the mainland, or the British variant as they call it. :unsure:

wildebus

Seems that the Kent variant is the most prevalent over on the mainland, or the British variant as they call it. :unsure:
This is the way to deal with the Brits ....

For months, Iceland has managed to stop the British variant from entering the country by containing cases at the border. But while I was there, Kari Stefansson's team noticed that the first case had slipped through and spread to another person.

That person had gone to work, in a hospital, and then on to a concert with 800 others where they had mingled at the bar during the interval. It looked like a disaster. But here, I witnessed the full force of Iceland's mighty contact-tracing system in action.

Within hours, everyone had been contacted, and within days more than 1,000 had been tested. Two more cases were identified and all those infected were taken to the isolation hotel. Remarkably, the variant was contained, unable to wreak the havoc seen elsewhere at the moment in Europe.

wildebus

We are just a small Island and it would appear that we are starting to get on top of this awful virus, so it would be such a shame to spoil it now for the sake of another year of not holidaying abroad.
And if people holiday in the uk it will also help boost our own economy
small island? 9th largest Island in the world and 21st largest population globally. Keep things in proportion (literally).

witzend

We are just a small Island and it would appear that we are starting to get on top of this awful virus, so it would be such a shame to spoil it now for the sake of another year of not holidaying abroad.
And if people holiday in the uk it will also help boost our own economy
We've stuck everything on vaccination so quite rightly need to do everything we can to protect it.
We can't afford to let a mutation flare up in this country that the vax is ineffective against so all international travel should be stopped

Robmac

which makes the population density much greater than the average - which makes distancing on average harder....

Yes I agree. I think the reference to us as a small island would have been better as a small country in the context of size vs population vs virus. If we used our island status more wisely as a protection things may have been a lot better.

But yes we are densely populated which puts us at a big disadvantage compared to larger less populated countries.

Philip Tomlinson

Administrator
Many posts have now had to be deleted from this thread. Read the rules and follow them or accept the consequences.

wildebus

Country size and densities are a tricky way to compare as well.
Russia is the biggest country in the world by far. It only less than twice the population of the UK - so their density is way less. But their REAL deaths/100,000 from Covid is one of the worst in the world (worst than the UK), so how to work out the "whys" will take a long time and lot more info and analysis then anyone here will; be doing.

mark61

You have to look a further than just the overall density of a countries population. :)

Robmac

Country size and densities are a tricky way to compare as well.
Russia is the biggest country in the world by far. It only less than twice the population of the UK - so their density is way less. But their REAL deaths/100,000 from Covid is one of the worst in the world (worst than the UK), so how to work out the "whys" will take a long time and lot more info and analysis then anyone here will; be doing.

Again I agree. I would still like to have their advantage of sparse population on our side.

Having said that I have no idea how many of Russia's cases are in very densely populated cities. At the end of the day, I agree with @witzend and all international travel should be stopped. It would be a logistical nightmare handling and distributing essential imports from the ports but these are times of emergency.

Brockley

and 2.5 or so UKs will fit into France as well, if that matters?

UK’s will fit into France = 2.3 if that matters? Then there are Crown dependencies outside of the U.K. like the Bailiwick of Guernsey, the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Isle of Man?

We have ‘British passports’ and despite our differences we still hang on to our Britishness, although I completely understand why the ‘Bailiwicks’ refuse to pay VAT after being abandoned when invaded (another story).

Unlike the ‘Bailiwicks’ the Isle of Man is nowhere nearly as densely populated and that’s why I prefer to go with the ‘small country’ analogy rather than “small island”. I thank you.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:386)

mark61, jagmanx, Val54, runnach, Robmac, TJBi, grath, TeamRienza, paulhelenwilko, mariesnowgoose, jann, Tonybvi, skippy 66, Edina, scampa, Farman, wildebus, jqp, CliveW, Lee, campervanannie, winks, 2cv, pamjon, iampatman, ian1950, Ted, Tookey, tidewatcher, jeanette, Biggarmac, Wully, GreggBear, ovalball, barryd, korky, xsilvergs, Tezza33, George N Mildred, Philip Tomlinson, maingate, Trotter, antiquesam, Greengrass, Larnie, Obanboy666, SimonM, HurricaneSmith, hank, Silver sprinter, vwalan, GinaRon, Martin P, saxonborg, rugbyken, jacquigem, DTF, oppy, Zebede, AllanD, terrywolf, vanmandan, RichardHelen262, Heppy, Old Wanderer, Disconik, Nidge, John H, DorsetDrifter, Canalsman, Steve and Julie, harrow, Tapfitter, RV2MAX, Wheelie, molly 2, chrishunter, st3v3, myvanwy, Liberty hall, fiona68, Greenwayjay, richardstubbs, Red Dwarf, Bigshug, wints, toasty, 1807truckman, Victor, thebeeman, justRoamin, DocMartin, ATwin, trixie88, shortcircuit, Topmast, s4x4c, mike17, hanger18, trevskoda, jeffmossy, rustydog, davep10000, REC, kevlakes, tim m154, Catchic, brian c, kernewek, IanT, Cass, Tim120, alwaysared, kensowerby, Colinc, mossypossy, Hycon, julesanian, Geraldine, Harleyboygaz3, ton27, 955itriple, QFour, SHABBINS, painter01, Goggles, stirlingb, mikejay, Pedalman, Chip, AvalonAdventurers, Penny13, Cazzy, vtwinner, walpeter, ajb70, Debroos, Jandb4, Neckender, SquirrellCook, moonshadow, cronkle, rabW, londontavern, Stanski, smg, mid4did, terry111, Nabsim, Makzine, V1nny, britcoms, Colin Robson, Gerry Attrick, Donsider, belslot, tilly, Jo001, JVG, The laird, gypo, yorkieowl, bartman, john77, Mandoman, mistericeman, Rod, karlt, jennyp19, Cathy, vintageb3, sinner, RSD7a, Dartmoor Punch, Devonbey, phillybarbour, milton, T4Lyn, Di1234, thenomads, EllieM, ciderboy, Muzzboot, Dezi, Gerti58, LaikaPete, ginfearsdad, roseroelofse, Dicknmaggie, Funman, Rutaria, Izz, thesTig, nitkn, Bazza1509, johnmac185, deacon, Simonfrench, Jean, PopesOnTour, 4x4man, Bounce, gipsy_jo, Fisherman, Johnsais, vindiboy, Matchlock, Bigredf, Budgie, Compo, sdh1412, Drover, flying kipper, Raptor107, alan1958, Mikebike, Ironjaws, Alphabetty, Bazfitz, ironman, shoggoth, mrdon, maureenandtom, Forcesixwindy, Topmod, BOTCANU, Fionadalgleish, Mrs monkey, maxsdad, zzr1400tim, Shrimpy, Scotia, Pauljenny, brugge, Brianh1, alcam, Brockley, petermotorhome, Caz, timatabsa, Jmick, Winger, cairngorm, ramblefrog, kiwi, Louiserobs67, Polar Bear, Andysm, Luckheart, Nowego, Lionel, anste, The Lone Ranger, Wetwalker, Sengandrew, 5andy, Millie Master, Petes, Snapster, yeoblade, Monkeybrand, Buzzard, Ian and Cath, The Jacks, quilkin, marrvens, Mick Browne, Alshymer, Rockerboots, I&MK, JimandHazel, skippy, Robina, Doonadog, Barfly, Watergatelodge, noarlunga, BKCharles, Lord Lucan, Dreamer, CHII BUS, Baubob, Clunegapyears, Cal54, Enfieldrover, chrisb, Veloman, H Traveller, Angmax, Lefty, My travel Lodge, Pete H, Jonned, peterobinson, landie50, countrycruisers, Bailey62, ladyhamilton, Handel10, Pierre leGrim, colin, charliechan, DotArnot, Weels, beedubbleyoo, Rong, Mikecoo, Ian reed, Miked2111, Touringtheworld, campingfun, eriksleden, WingNut, alanp, Ericb, tribute11, steve050, Hugo2018, tjay, Gadabout2, Herman, tadpole58, Sambarob, Alberto, Haaamster, Pjonpc, calvert24, G1DOL, redhand, Minisorella, OldAgeTravellers, barge1914, Malc, davecroft, maja07, jeffscarborough, cworth, Jossywossy, BobToon, campergramps, horace, Amethyst, Computerkid, The Hughesys, specky4eyes, Welsh Mike, David & Ann, mjvw, edo, Benylin, Articstorm, Yolo, Hawkeye, Hazel, n brown, Chrisp955, BEWA95, eddyt, ozzy1955, VandA, Full Member, Frank Taylor, Roger Haworth, cazzy28, Dreamcatchers, Boris7, Sue Paskins, Hayesdec, Debdancer1, HooTs McGee, Derekoak, drifter410, Roy Laura, tclarkie, Sharon the Cat, ScoTTyBEEE, AdriaTwin, NeilyG, SouthernTribby, Justjack, Chris356, loulou, Steve France, izwozral, MykCamper, Jon,