France Lockdown

So is France likely to be added to the red-list ?
maybe we should closse the tunnel as they did in late December (Just a joke ..nut only just).
I am not seriously suggesting it should be done but maybe some precautions/testing should now be in place for all !

Current lockdown in those 16 départements is for 4 weeks, so if it's lifted then, it's lifted before we're allowed to travel abroad anyway. And given the location of most of them, it wouldn't be an issue to avoid them if entering through a central or western Channel port. There would be plenty of France available to explore. The concern is the slowness of the vaccination programme across the Channel, which is likely to see things get worse before they get better.
Should not be an issue for anyone attempting to return to the UK and wanting to use a short sea route or the Tunnel, because that should be covered by the motifs impérieux exemption.

Tunnel should stay open for essential travel and HGV transporting goods. IMO, safer than a ferry, as driver stays in own vehicle.
Be pointless going for a jolly, as majority of businesses will be closed.
The freight trains are probably less safe than the ferries. Drivers park their vehicles on the train before being bussed to a single passenger carriage for the journey then bussed back to their wagon. Lots of close proximity compared to a spacious ferry.

The freight trains are probably less safe than the ferries. Drivers park their vehicles on the train before being bussed to a single passenger carriage for the journey then bussed back to their wagon. Lots of close proximity compared to a spacious ferry.
Thats the way it was when I was trucking over there no chance to self distance

I was giving out our own practical experience when using the tunnel. Sit in vehicle. I'm surprised this is not the same overall, especially with the journey being a short one.

As for ferries, all passengers touching hand rails when moving from various decks, pinch points, etc.
The vehicle carriages are opensided to allow for various size vehicles.

Irrespective of the cross-channel route and risk. With virus cases rising in many European countries...some way of identifying those who MAY have the virus is needed. I appreciate the rapid tests are not foolproof..but better than nothing. Such checks to be applied to all regardless of nationality/residence/reason for travel.
No point in any form of lockdown without some way of containing the virus even with necessary travel. I remind all that President Macron instigated travel restrictions unilaterally. (In December 2020)
Fact not politics !

Last edited:
I hope to provide some info when my sister’s partner returns from France shortly, he’s been back there for a week checking on their villa - he is a resident btw and so not a holiday home.

Tunnel should stay open for essential travel and HGV transporting goods. IMO, safer than a ferry, as driver stays in own vehicle.
Be pointless going for a jolly, as majority of businesses will be closed.
Freight drives don’t stay in their own vehicles, as the trains they go on are open sided they are packed like sardines into a mini bus then transported to the front onto a small passenger compartment of the train that pulls the rest, I have had to do this hundreds of times, fortunately not for a number of years now.
I definitely wouldn’t want to be on the freight trains at the moment.
But definitely prefer the to do the normal train over the ferry any day, and especially at the moment as you say much safer as you can remain in your own vehicle.

I've always felt a bit nauseous when I've taken the car on the train. I think it's the suspension of the train fighting the car suspension that sets me off. A problem I didn't have on the freight service, which we always called the "stinky" after the strong smell of body odour to be had in the carriage.

I've always felt a bit nauseous when I've taken the car on the train. I think it's the suspension of the train fighting the car suspension that sets me off. A problem I didn't have on the freight service, which we always called the "stinky" after the strong smell of body odour to be had in the carriage.
Not much of a choice then !
On some ferries we have had both problems !

Not much of a choice then !
On some ferries we have had both problems !
I don't get sea sick. Just as well as I seemed to spend a lot of my working life on ferries. Strangely I used to get sick on trolley busses as a lad, so I don't fancy an electric car.

That was not body odour that was the lukewarm food we got, lol

That was not body odour that was the lukewarm food we got, lol
They gave that up the food a good while ago. At least you had time for a shower on the ferry after the horrible free meal. When coming home on the Caen night ferry I used to have a shower at the port to save having to hang about waiting my turn in the en suite to the cabin I had to share with three others sometimes.

Time to start a transport co. Was chatting to my Finnish cousin a few weeks ago, said I might start a Finnish sausage and pickled herring delivery company.
I could be away for months sorting out suppliers.
Sure the profit on 10KG of herring will cover a mile or two, never said my business plan was perfect, did I.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back