Fiat stop start

I think that you are probably quite wrong about "most cars are now auto". Any evidence for that ? And even things that you might consider automatic are mostly robotised manual gearboxes with clutches (and release bearings), or the very nice VW-invented DSG system, we have one in the family, basically two three-speed manual transmissions, two (oil bathed) clutches that are likely to last forever, and a very very very complex "mechatronic" unit to control everything. That requires a very expensive oil change, frequently to keep it working. Latterly they've been making 7 speed DSGs with dry clutches, but frankly they are not on a par with the original and I don't expect them to last.

No more than I would expect say a Fiat "comfortmatic" robotised manual box to last any better than a plain manual thing., used properly. Same bits inside, but simplified for people who perhaps never learned to drive properly, anticipate when to change up or down, understand the torque curve of their engine, either just listen to the engine or scan the rev counter to be aware of where things are operating, or perhaps have become de-skilled, or were never much good, or just lazy, or have a genuine physical condition that prevents them from using their left leg to push on the clutch pedal.

Or you could have some sort of CVT thing, like I think Nissan and Subaru still make, like an old Daf rubber band job, or scooter, but with improved materials and steel chain/belts

A brother even had a mad, bad and dangerous ScoobyDo Forester that started at I think 280 Hp but got tweaked to nearer 350. All put through the standard CVT transmission. Amazing. However it died an early death, as you might imagine (actually three big smash ups, nobody else involved, insurers got fed up as did his wife, so it went. So as to long term durability I wouldn't know, but the Subaru engineering really impressed me.

So if Subaru would make campers I'd be first in line. A flat-four or flat-six diesel (they make these unique things), could be so special.

As for TrevSkoda's comment about me wearing out the clutch release bearing, I think that he has failed to understand how the stop=start works on VAG cars (a Seat in my case).

If I drive correctly, as I was taught, pull up at a junction or roundabout, apply handbrake, move (manual) gearbox into neutral, release clutch, then engine dies. Unless I have disabled the useless feature, it's second nature to push the button every time I twist the key to get started. I mean, that's why the disable buttons are provided, at least for now.

If instead I pull up at junction/roundabout, but instead of applying the handbrake properly, just stand on the brake pedal, keep dazzling the people behind me with the brake lights, slip into neutral, engine keeps running.

But this is a really poor way to drive, if e.g somebody shunted me from behind chances are my foot would come off the brake pedal and I'd then be shunted into the vehicle in front.

Engine is a lovely little 1.4 petrol that runs a massive turbocharger that boosts to an impressive level, at least 150 hp, much of the time half the engine is turned off, inlet valves on two cylinders don't open, there is maybe a litre or two of coolant so the block (not the oil) warms up PDQ. As soon as it is warm the stop-start switches on. I won't let it until the oil temperature is at least 80 C.

Never mind the crank and cam bearings, the turbo, which runs continuously at a massive boost, is running dry, no pressure, every stop-start. Amazing that we've got to 80,000 miles so far (but stop-start is automatically turned off, it's just an automatic reflex).

Will it get to 250,000 miles like the previous one ? well I doubt it, but it it is very very economical, goes like stink, weighs very little, handling is so much lighter and better.

But I do miss the snarl of my old VW GTi 1.8 and 2.0 16 valve engines. They were glorious, and also quite economical.
Only 80 th,here my old car at 314.000 & i flogged the tubes out of it,boot to the board.

Attachments

• skoda a.jpg
    skoda a.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 87
  • skoda j.jpg
    skoda j.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 88
  • skoda g.jpg
    skoda g.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 86

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back