Fiat stop start

Fiat got euro 6 without it, or adblue
Yes but that was when the manufacturers got away with cheating under the old tests. To keep the Euro 6 under the new tests Fiat now have AdBlue and smart alternators so perhaps stop start has been caught too. If they submit a vehicle for the new tests with fuel saving and emission control functions I believe they are expected to sell the vehicles in that condition too.

Found this online

But the main question most car buyers have about new start-stop systems is: won't they wear out my car's starter motor? The answer is no. ... (1) The gear ratio from the starter-drive pinion to the flywheel ring gear is optimized to make the starter's motor turn more slowly.

Yes but that was when the manufacturers got away with cheating under the old tests. To keep the Euro 6 under the new tests Fiat now have AdBlue and smart alternators so perhaps stop start has been caught too. If they submit a vehicle for the new tests with fuel saving and emission control functions I believe they are expected to sell the vehicles in that condition too.

Hi Okta the new Mercedes 6D models still have switches fitted so I doubt it.
I was inside one in January whilst having my own car serviced.
But I really donโ€™t see why anyone wants to turn it off.

Does Stop Start actually save fuel?
Most people think the amount of fuel saved using a start-stop system is negligible, but in reality, that fuel burned while idling at a stop adds up quickly. A study by the Society of Automotive Engineers found that using start-stop can see a car's fuel economy improve by over eight percent in heavy traffic.

Does Auto Start Stop drain your battery?
A. Stop-start technology is increasingly common, generally works well and helps to keep down fuel consumption and emissions. ... In addition, in many stop-start cars the battery has a higher capacity (so it takes longer to drain) and the starter motor is made more robust to cope with the extra demand.9 Jun 2014

This is well worth a read.

This whole debate is similar to the air con debate.
I leave mine on all year round and get 55mpg from a merc c220 est.
In winter it stops my windows from forming condensation, and in summer it keeps me cool. Yet all the time in summer I see folk with their window open whilst driving and no doubt their air con turned off. Well when doing this your drag coefficient will increase significantly. Your car is now acting like a parachute with air rushing to the rear window greatly increasing drag, and increasing your fuel consumption by as much as 20%. Air con uses about 2-3%. Also turning it off for extended periods damages your seals.

In winter it stops my windows from forming condensation, and in summer it keeps me cool. Yet all the time in summer I see folk with their window open whilst driving and no doubt their air con turned off. Well when doing this your drag coefficient will increase significantly. Your car is now acting like a parachute with air rushing to the rear window greatly increasing drag, and increasing your fuel consumption by as much as 20%. Air con uses about 2-3%. Also turning it off for extended periods damages your seals.

I've been trying to explain this, one to customers for the last 25 years or so.....

They still won't listen BUT complain about having to have their systems topped up each year....

Fairly painful for them now a lot of manufacturers have gone over to r 1234a....
Possibly one of the most expensive refrigerants manufactured....
Hey ho

Letโ€™s go even further back, electric windows.
All you got was they will be nothing but bother, the old wind up ones were better, you never got any problems with them. Well I had a Ford Fiesta and the bloody windows kept coming off the runner. I had to strip the door down to get to the wind up mechanism to put the glass back in place. In 30 years of cars with electric windows I have never had a bit of bother.

I have known for many years not to drive with the windows open. However, I did not know that it was bad for the seals to leave the air con off for long periods so thanks for that helpful advice.

Letโ€™s go even further back, electric windows.
All you got was they will be nothing but bother, the old wind up ones were better, you never got any problems with them. Well I had a Ford Fiesta and the bloody windows kept coming off the runner. I had to strip the door down to get to the wind up mechanism to put the glass back in place. In 30 years of cars with electric windows I have never had a bit of bother.
That was a ford every one else got it right.
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I have known for many years not to drive with the windows open. However, I did not know that it was bad for the seals to leave the air con off for long periods so thanks for that helpful advice.
Thats another daft thing air con,in Gb just wind the windie dun ,more money wasted on something not required,ok in california.

The arguments I've had with people who insist that aircon uses 10% of the engines power - I say to them take a car at 100BHP the aircon would use 10HP put the same aircon in a 300BHP car then by their reckoning it would use 30HP yeah right!

The arguments I've had with people who insist that aircon uses 10% of the engines power - I say to them take a car at 100BHP the aircon would use 10HP put the same aircon in a 300BHP car then by their reckoning it would use 30HP yeah right!

We are a nation of luddites anytime something better is developed we view it with suspicion. I have a fiat Ducato without start stop, I wish I had it. why have an engine running for long periods in built up traffic. There are limits as to when it kicks in and how long it will last to prevent any mechanical issues.

Last edited:
We are a nation of luddites anytime. something better is developed we view it with suspicion. I have a fiat Ducato without start stop, I wish I had it. why have an engine running for long periods in built up traffic. There are limits as to when it kicks in and how long it will last to prevent any mechanical issues.
Very true, I wish my Relay had it, although I would turn it off on frosty mornings waiting at the railway gates whilst the engine is heating up rather than freeze to death.

No idea on Fiat but on the Vauxhall stop/starts I have had you went into the computer settings via the infotainment system and turned it on or off as a default setting. Never bothered though you soon get used to it and it just works

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back